Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
Also, does anyone know the male/female statistics from the 2010 census for 18-35 year olds?
You're going to be "screwed" there, my friend (or more likely not screwed if you know what I mean).

San Diego has a very large military population due to the half dozen or so large military bases in the county. Since the military tends to be 4:1 male to female there are simply more guys then girls; add to that the fact that most of the people who live in San Diego are transplants from some where else (and that men are much more likely to pull up stakes and move compared to women) and the final result is there are more young single men here then young single women. Now, the total population here skews towards the young side so there are still several hundred thousand young single women plus the local culture emphasizes being fit, active, and educated so the women who are here tend to be pretty good looking and financially pretty well off but they also know there are more young guys then young girls so even the fatties can sit back and take their pick. That means the goods on offer are very high quality but a guy has to be at the top of his game if he wants to compete with the other 2-4 young guys vying for the favors of each young lady.

Don't despair though because you do have a few key advantages over the college frat boys and marines who will be your main competition on the dating scene. A large proportion of young women here refuse to date military because they're low paid, will be gone in 2-3 years tops, and have a reputation for cheating. Educated men in their mid 20's to mid 30's with advanced degrees (such as MBAs, lawyers, MDs, or science degrees) are considered prime catches by most ladies so you'll have a leg up over the frat boy crowd or the disaffected blue collar guys.

That said, make sure you have a gym membership because even if you have a great resume and good relationship skills most of the ladies here still want their man to be in shape and to be a social ladder climber. If you make sure to get the degree which qualifies you for the high paying job, you sharpen your social skills, and try harder then the average slub then you can do very well here relationship wise but if you are a blue collar slub expecting the ladies to come to you then you will have a lot of lonely nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You're going to be "screwed" there, my friend (or more likely not screwed if you know what I mean).

San Diego has a very large military population due to the half dozen or so large military bases in the county. Since the military tends to be 4:1 male to female there are simply more guys then girls; add to that the fact that most of the people who live in San Diego are transplants from some where else (and that men are much more likely to pull up stakes and move compared to women) and the final result is there are more young single men here then young single women. Now, the total population here skews towards the young side so there are still several hundred thousand young single women plus the local culture emphasizes being fit, active, and educated so the women who are here tend to be pretty good looking and financially pretty well off but they also know there are more young guys then young girls so even the fatties can sit back and take their pick. That means the goods on offer are very high quality but a guy has to be at the top of his game if he wants to compete with the other 2-4 young guys vying for the favors of each young lady.

Don't despair though because you do have a few key advantages over the college frat boys and marines who will be your main competition on the dating scene. A large proportion of young women here refuse to date military because they're low paid, will be gone in 2-3 years tops, and have a reputation for cheating. Educated men in their mid 20's to mid 30's with advanced degrees (such as MBAs, lawyers, MDs, or science degrees) are considered prime catches by most ladies so you'll have a leg up over the frat boy crowd or the disaffected blue collar guys.

That said, make sure you have a gym membership because even if you have a great resume and good relationship skills most of the ladies here still want their man to be in shape and to be a social ladder climber. If you make sure to get the degree which qualifies you for the high paying job, you sharpen your social skills, and try harder then the average slub then you can do very well here relationship wise but if you are a blue collar slub expecting the ladies to come to you then you will have a lot of lonely nights.
What he said

San Diego tends to attract people with money, obviously, so these people have higher expectations. Since SD has a lot of hot women, these females know they look good and demand a guy that can offer them something more than just physical attraction. A good education, being knowledgeable and up to date on world affairs/ current trends, and having a good high paying job/career is a huge plus for any guy looking for a girl in SD.

At the same time, if you don't have a good personality, not really likable, you wont get girls, and if you do, they probably wont stick around for long.

It is easier to get girls out here that are in there early 20's, than girls into their mid to late 20's since most girls around 20-23 years old are barely starting out their lives, maybe still in college, possibly confused on what they want in life. Guys in their mid to late 20's that are career motivated and making good money, have an edge on the younger partier type broke early 20 guys that aren't doing a damn thing with themselves.

I knew a girl that was 26, she married some well off real estate agent that was 40 years old! He didn't look 40 at all, but that's the kind of edge a successful person has in SD. If you have money, and she sees that you can support her and a family situation, why would she leave someone like that?

You really do have prove yourself out here, not in all cases, but for the most part, it helps.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
You say you don't have a southern accent, but you might want to develop one...women here love the accents, especially the aussies. But southern would probably work real well too

Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Hmmm. After looking at the videos the whole thing strikes me of Spring Break in Florida. You know the whole Daytona Beach, Panama City, Orlando, Ft Laudedale thing. Is that sorta what the nightlife/party scene like only with drier weather, mountains and colder water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
I dunno, the people in the 1st and 3rd videos look like douchebags... except for that magician, he was cool.
San Diego does tend to get a whole lot of tourists (usually around 30-40 million per year with more visiting when the economy is good and less when it is bad) so in the touristy areas the scene does look very much like the spring break crowd at any other resort city. No, the locals don't normally party there unless the guys are trying to nail some visiting tourist girls because it's just over priced and not worth it for a local. There are tons of local bars, restaurants, and activities away from the tourist zone where you will find the locals enjoying a more relaxed atmosphere so if you can plug yourself into that local scene then you'll do alright.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 PM

324 posts, read 877,054 times
I'm also thinking of moving to San Diego. As a kid I've always wanted to live there so I'm thinking I should rent for a year and see if I like it. I like lofts/condos so I'd probably buy one of those, but I'm concerned about the military presence.

I've lived in savannah and I've seen first hand how military folks can get towards innocent civilians (non military). I would prefer not having to see or deal with these types of people. Is that a possibility ? or is there a strong military presence everywhere you go in SD ?

I've also heard there are lots of Russian women in the area. Russian women is something I can appreciate. Are there Russian communities in SD ?

Last edited by League54; 05-28-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 04:21 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,237 times
The military presence is not all over San Diego, only in certain spots like Point Loma, Oceanside, and other various locations.

As for Russians, many people might not know this, but there is a large Russian Jewish population in San Diego, especially in La Mesa. The women are super hot, and dress very nice all the time, typical of European women.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM

130 posts, read 386,713 times
Quote:
-How is San Diego for a single white male in his mid-20s?

I like to date around and I'm a good-looking guy.
This part of it sounds like you will fit in perfectly. San Diego is all about being white and good looking (usually with no soul). Bring all your life savings and any of your "ism's" (especially class-ism) that you may have collected in Georgia and you will fit in great in San Diego! (I lived in San Diego for 20 years, so that is my perspective of the place).

If I were you, I'd select Austin, TX or Denver, CO

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 AM

52 posts, read 293,289 times
Quote:
-Is it hard to meet people and make friends in San Diego?

I wouldn't know a soul.
Yes and no. People here tend to do things in groups. The groups are friendly to outsiders -- but do you really want EVERYONE in the group to be your friend?

That's a dilemma I've had to face living here.

The group syndrome has two drawbacks: 1) No, you probably don't want them all to be your friend, and 2) 6-way conversations are not only less interesting, but allow people to hide behind the group. You don't really get to know them that well as individuals. Nor are they that motivated to get to know you as an individual. You're now just part of the group.

This is a long way of saying that San Diego, while friendly, can be boring and superficial.

And, thanks to the cost of housing here, don't expect people to invite you to hang out with them in their homes (for dinner, e.g., as opposed to hitting the sack). That would mean bringing you to a small place that is a mess thanks to them or their roommates. Not likely to happen.

If you're looking for love, this is a place where dating means calling someone at the last minute and saying, "Hey, I'm at this bar, can you come down...?"

If you want hookups, they are plentiful and forgettable as your partners will likely be drunk at the time -- and so will you.

On the other hand, you could do here what could do right now in Atlanta (if you had time off from law school, which you don't) and meet people through common interests (church, participating in sports, music or theater, etc.)

Quote:
-What do young people do for fun on the weekends?

I am into going to bars, clubs, and house parties. Is San Diego good for that type of scene?
It's great for that type of scene. Just have the money to pay for it. And live near the bars/clubs you go to so you can walk home. Drunk driving arrests are no joke in California. That would mean living in Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Carlsbad (near the beach), downtown, Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights, Mission Hills, Middletown, Normal Heights or Kensington. Maybe even La Mesa. That's about it. Scope out rentals near the bars/clubs you're interested in.

Quote:
-Will people write me off as soon as I say I am from Atlanta?

I am not tying to imply people in San Diego are snobs, but lets be honest, the south doesn't have the best reputation.
San Diegans are very friendly and will not put you down for being from the south. This is a military town that welcomes people from all over the country. You might get some dumb questions about your not having an accent. That is all.

Quote:
-Will it hold me back (socially) that I don't know how to surf?

I do like going to the beach, but I am not sure I could ever surf (deathly afraid of sharks).
Don't worry. Most Californians who grow up in beach towns get bored with the beach by the time they hit their teens. Surfers are a very small part of the culture here. But why not take surfing lessons? You're more likely to get struck by lightning than get bitten by a shark. And surf schools are a great way to meet other people.

Quote:
-How is San Diego for a single white male in his mid-20s?

I like to date around and I'm a good-looking guy.
You'll have a great time, especially if you just want to party before becoming a lawyer.

Quote:
-What's the dominant youth culture/style in San Diego?

In my mind, I picture it as surfer types with a wooky side. I am not a surfer, but I do have like jam bands, going to concerts, and celebrating 420 (). I also wear polo and drive an X5, but I also rock cool tee-shirts and jeans. But I don't ever rock the surfer/Cali look. Will I fit in in San Diego?
San Diego is not really a "surfer town" -- not even in Pacific Beach, which is full of drunken frat boy and sorority girl types.

It has recently become a "hipster haven" -- which I find pretentious and unattractive.

The girls -- more than the boys -- fit the "beach blond image" and you should have a lot of fun if that's what you're into.

If you have to have a real surfer vibe, then you should head north to Carlsbad and Encinitas. But even there, it's cookie cutter suburbia once you get more than a couple of miles inland from the beach.

Quote:
I really need to get out of GA as I have never lived anywhere else. Other cities I am considering: Austin, Texas; Portland, Oregon; Dallas, Texas; Denver, Colorado. So, thanks for helping me attain personal growth!
I've head good things about Austin.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 AM

52 posts, read 293,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
...San Diego is all about being white and good looking (usually with no soul). Bring all your life savings and any of your "ism's" (especially class-ism) that you may have collected in Georgia and you will fit in great in San Diego!
Sounds like you've brought a few "isms" of your own, such as racism against whites ("usually with no soul")...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego