Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times

Advertisements

I am a huge fan of older, historic homes here in SD. Each of them are incredibly unique and when restored tastefully can really shine. Granted they are not for everyone and there are certainly pros and cons vs owning a new home in a gated community.

But for those of you who really dig some of that old school Victorian, Santa Fe or Tudor, that new homes try to emulate in style, check these out.

The U-T did a piece on what some of these folks do.

Profiles: Those who preserve San Diego's historic homes - SignOnSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I am a huge fan of older, historic homes here in SD. Each of them are incredibly unique and when restored tastefully can really shine. Granted they are not for everyone and there are certainly pros and cons vs owning a new home in a gated community.
But for those of you who really dig some of that old school Victorian, Santa Fe or Tudor, that new homes try to emulate in style, check these out.
The U-T did a piece on what some of these folks do.
Profiles: Those who preserve San Diego's historic homes - SignOnSanDiego.com
I saw that, but what caught my eye was the cost of the renovations: $250,000, $300,000, $500,000 ... how many of us have that kind of money???

Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I saw that, but what caught my eye was the cost of the renovations: $250,000, $300,000, $500,000 ... how many of us have that kind of money???
Great point and yes the dollar figures of some of the really really nice ones run into some big bucks. As a homeowner its amazing to me how some folks have some amazing homes that are poorly taken care of.

What shocks me is the return some of these so-so restorers turn over a house in South Park or North Park. 1000 sq ft Bungalows for 500-600k seems a bit of a stretch but apparently is trendy right now.

I am guessing probably to give the article some weight they used some top notch restorations.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Thanks for sharing Shmoov. I really love these older properties. I've renovated several of these properties and it's amazing watching the transformation.

However, it's not always easy. 2 years ago I was renovating a larger 85 year old property. Gorgeous property but when we started the renovations we noticed that there were termites! I planned to do a complete gut job anyway but it was a shame that I had to tear out literally everything that had wood in it. All the original hardwood flooring, closets, entryways, windowframes, everything!

It turned out wonderful but it cost a fortune.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
I've been fortunate enough to have been the architectural designer of record for several renovations/small additions for historic and historical homes in the area- North Park/Burlingame, South Park and Mission Hills. It is always quite a challenge dealing with a mix of beautiful original finishes and deteriorating materials/structure, charming spaces and dysfunctional floor plans that rarely have the kitchens, bathrooms and closet space that most folks desire these days. But it is those very challenges that often make for a very well thought out plan, with compromises, that ultimately balances most of the goals and implementation.

Working with the HRB (Historic Resource Board) at the city is getting increasingly difficult though, they seem to have the attitude these days of requiring nearly everyone to follow the strict Department of Interiors Standards (which I'm all for for actually designated properties) on just about all properties over 45 years of age yet increasingly rarely do they also offer the tax benefits of historic designation which those stringent standards and limitations compensate the homeowner for.

Still, I'm all for preserving these wonderful old homes and with sensitive restorations, renovations and even modest additions these houses offer a wonderful resource for our city and neighborhoods as well as great homes for a new generation of owners. Living in an 83 y.o. home myself I have a great respect for the original architecture, as well as some of the challenges in the upkeep and making them work for today's lifestyles.

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-23-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I've been fortunate enough to have been the designer for renovations/small additions for several historic and historical homes in the area- North Park/Burlingame, South Park and Mission Hills. It is always quite a challenge dealing with a mix of beautiful original finishes and deteriorating materials/structure, charming spaces and dysfunctional floor plans that rarely have the kitchens, bathrooms and closet space that most folks desire these days.

Working with the HRB (Historic Resource Board) at the city is getting increasingly difficult though, they seem to have the attitude these days of requiring nearly everyone to follow the strict Department of Interiors Standards (which I'm all for for actually designated properties) on just about all properties over 45 years of age yet increasingly rarely do they also offer the tax benefits of historic designation which those stringent standards and limitations compensate the homeowner for.

Still, I'm all for preserving these wonderful old homes and with sensitive restorations, renovations and even modest additions these houses offer a wonderful resource for our city and neighborhoods as well as great homes for a new generation of owners. Living in an 83 y.o. home myself I have a great respect for the original architecture, the upkeep, as well as some of the challenges in making them work for today.
T.Damon and earlyretirement,

I think that is fantastic and DEFINITELY something that I am looking towards doing myself in the near future.
Its great that we even have this type of awareness in San Diego to restore these homes. In many places that I have lived, its just not that big of a deal to have this type of preservation movement and the homes go down bad.
Here in San Diego, It just so happens that a lot of these historic homes are around the park which inherently makes the properties that more desirable.

We have gorgeous older homes in Lemon Grove and a Historical Society that tries to maintain these properties. However, getting any type of tax incentive is something that I have been looking into as I dont think it exists right now. Some people may be unaware that Lemon Grove is a separate city from SD, so the City tax incentives via the State dont apply.

IMHO when classic, historic homes get restored it really ups the ante for the surrounding homes and neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Schmoov_groovzsd I'm sure you are already aware of it, but just in case it has somehow been out of your radar you definitely have to come to The Old House Fair in South Park in June (Father's Day weekend) great resources, tours and just plain fun for lovers of classic old houses and neighborhoods.

The Old House Fair ... San Diego ... Saturday June 18, 2011 - Welcome

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
I guess we may be preaching to the choir, but a pre-war (WWII) home in original condition, and that includes original bathroom tile and kitchen counter tile can carry a 20% - 50% premium over a comparable new house. So much value is lost when older kitchens and bathrooms are gutted. It's a terrible shame. The only solace I get from hearing about homes that have been gutted is that I know the owners will take a bath come resale time because they have tossed all of their homes value into a landfill somewhere. Of course if the termites have done major damage then you have to go with restoration rather than repair. But repair should always be the first choice.

The Uptown News carries a regular column on preserving original woodwork and exteriors.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Thats interesting kettlepot. I didnt know there was a difference between a restoration and a repair.

The house I bought recently (1947), the previous owner was the original owner and had recrods of all termite inspections done over the years as well as records and receipts to any structural work that was done. This was definitely one of the reasons I didnt hesitate in buying it.

I was curious why preWWII is more desirable? If I were to guess, it was because Post war was the start of tract mania and the bunglaow style homes are a dime a dozen. This is what baffles me about some homes near Balboa Park that are post wwII bungalows that are selling for half a million.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I guess we may be preaching to the choir, but a pre-war (WWII) home in original condition, and that includes original bathroom tile and kitchen counter tile can carry a 20% - 50% premium over a comparable new house. So much value is lost when older kitchens and bathrooms are gutted. It's a terrible shame. The only solace I get from hearing about homes that have been gutted is that I know the owners will take a bath come resale time because they have tossed all of their homes value into a landfill somewhere. Of course if the termites have done major damage then you have to go with restoration rather than repair. But repair should always be the first choice.

The Uptown News carries a regular column on preserving original woodwork and exteriors.
I agree with the credo of repair whenever possible, restore when necessary and renovate or remodel only after carefully considering and planning all aspects that reflect the existing architecture, lot and neighborhood. Unfortunately it is a rare thing to find a completely original kitchen or bathroom from a pre- 1940s home and even rarer still to find that original construction and finishes to be in good or even salvageable condition. It does happen, but more often than not if you are lucky you are faced with incorporating as much of the original when you can and adding vintage style elements that complement the original- or if it is a gut, design and finish it in such a way that it is not jarringly different from the best original features of the house.
And to tell the truth, most folks don't complain too much when they walk into a house I've done in Burlingame that used to be 3BR/1BA and is now 3BR/3BA and they can't quite figure out what is new vs original or where the heck the house was added on to The details of the public rooms and exterior remain intact and beautiful, but it works for a family today.

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-24-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego