Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,523 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I was just laid off from my job up north, so I'm moving down to SD next month. The problem is that I probably won't have a job before I get there. Does anyone have any advice on finding a place to rent, without having a job? I know most property management companies do a verification of employment before renting to a tenant. I have plently of money to pay for a few months of rent up front, but I don't know if that will cut it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions of where to look! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,291,848 times
Your best bet is to rent a room on Craigslist not only will it be cheaper but you will also be able to speak directly with the owner to explain the situation. I would suggest that if it is at all financially possible offer to pay 2-3 months worth of rent in advance just so the landlord knows he's not going to get stiffed and have a dead beat in his house.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM

That's kind of what I've been planning on (offering to pay a few months upfront), yet I've talked to a couple of property managers who said that wouldn't be acceptable (who knows why). I just read that San Diego has some of the lowest rental vacancies in the country, so landlords can be a lot pickier about who they rent to. Thanks a lot for the input.

If anyone else has any input, or specific rentals to recommend, please let me know!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Yep, I'm a landlord myself plus I help my father out with his side business of buying houses, fixing them up, and either flipping them or renting them out long term (there is almost no flipping going on right now only buying and renting out). When the real estate bubble popped nation wide California was hurt worse then most largely because prices had gone up so much more then the rest of the country but one person's lose is someone else's win. All those folks who lost their homes still need a place to live so the rental market got flooded and now landlords can be very choosy.

About a month ago I helped my father out by showing a 3 bedroom, 2 bath town home in the older section of Scripps Ranch for $2300. I got five applications in the first day and 20 in the first week after which I pulled the ad. I culled the 20 applicants down to the top three then let my father pick which of those he liked best. The vacancy rate is so low landlords are rising prices and only taking the best applicants.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Wow.. thats insane! What criteria do you use to narrow down your applicantions? i.e. do you have any advice on making myself a more appealling applicant?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,789,175 times
How about an extended-stay motel?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,150,941 times
I would just rent a room.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,579,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrman86 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on finding a place to rent, without having a job?
If you run for public office and win, you won't have to work, and in many cases, your rent will be free.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrman86 View Post
Wow.. thats insane! What criteria do you use to narrow down your applicantions? i.e. do you have any advice on making myself a more appealling applicant?
Income (can they realistically make the rent payment or are they stretching too far), credit rating, a clean background check (especially someone who has never gotten an unlawful detainer or been evicted), how long they've been at their job, the quality of their recommendations, and to rent a whole house I tend to prefer married couples with kids as 1) they have two incomes 2) they tend to be more stable and 3) since they have kids they generally don't want to move much (as then the kids would have to change schools). Also just the general feelings and attitude they have during the interview and application process.

In your situation you're going to want a room off of Craigslist as that has the lowest price and you're most likely to find someone who will over look that you are not employed. Expect to pay about $500 a month plus share of utilities to get an averaged sized room.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,463,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
and to rent a whole house I tend to prefer married couples with kids as 1) they have two incomes 2) they tend to be more stable and 3) since they have kids they generally don't want to move much (as then the kids would have to change schools).

It appears your method of screening is illegal. But you probably already knew that and don't care.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/discrimination.shtml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: