Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times

Advertisements

You could live in Lemon Grove (which has a decent black population) or many areas in south San Diego. Not as many blacks in North County inland or coastal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,854 times
Thanks for all of the advice and feedback. I think my main concern is creating a social network - being single without kids and 43 moving to SD. DC is a place where it is not so hard to move and find groups to join and people to meet with your interests. Hopefully, while SD may be more of challenge it won't be insurmountable. The people are friendly and I feel comfortable as a visitor - just trying to imagine myself living here - having lived in the Northeast all of my life. But change and adventure are part of adding spice to life.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I would recommend that you visit first. Come out for a couple weeks, take a short term rental or stay in various locations and wander around. That would be a better IMO and cheaper way to avoid potential problems and get a "feel" if you would like to stay here longer...

Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
The San Diego Black Professionals Meetup Group (San Diego, CA) - Meetup

Great way to get your network on.....

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
You could live in Lemon Grove (which has a decent black population) or many areas in south San Diego. Not as many blacks in North County inland or coastal.
dacry,

I am still not certain if its being black or being 43 that is concerning you the most? Regardless some of the advice here is, as usual, generally very good given the information you provided.

djxpress is right. Lemon Grove is about 13% black, 52% white, ~19% Latino and then all the other ethnicities they have listed in the 2010 census. As I live here its probably more on par with a National Average make up demographically than the North County where it can be in the single digits percentage wise. Does it mean there is racial profiling up there? No clue.

Go south of Lemon Grove and black population jumps sharply to 25%+.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:03 PM

28 posts, read 34,501 times
dacry,

I'm a 27 year old professional relocating (as you read) to San Diego. I'm currently in Los Angeles and have several friends who moved to SD from LA or from SD to LA. I understand your dilemma as I have similar concerns. I lived in NY before LA and I'm originally from Texas so I'm used to a much more diverse population.

I have friends who have participated in the meetup group posted above. I would also suggest in invlovement in the San Diego Urban League. I'll be joining the Young Professionals version of the UL. I've leaned of members of my Sorority (AKA) for help with building my community during my transition.

I've been spending some time in SD to get a feel for the city. Hillcrest while eclectic, may not provide the diversity you seek, but as 20 something I'm much more open to areas I've found to be a little more diverse. Northpark, Normal Heights, etc.

I'm not sure if I was any help, but I wanted to let you know, I feel you.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,785 times
Darcy, good luck with your search. I'm a diverse professional African-American 47 y/o male and speak a few languages including fluent Italian. Im planning on moving to a nice area near Tampa after considering Cali and other places. I've been blessed to have traveled around the world via the Navy and SD is not like it was years ago. Extend search near Tampa area and we can do some cruises in addition to some southern grilling....smile.

Antonio
God-fearing and southern
gentleman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego