Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times

Advertisements

I find it ironic that the OP referred to Boston as the "rudest city in the world" when all of her replies to well thought-out, experience-driven, and genuinely concerned answers to her post have been just plain snotty.

OP: People took the time to offer advice, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Just say "thank you" and feel free to ignore it. And if you do move here, please try to curb that attitude a little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
I think many times when people ask for advice and they don't hear the things they want to hear, they can get negative or feel offended. Not only on public message boards but in real life scenarios as well. Many times, I've given advice to my investment clients and it wasn't what they wanted to hear and got a bit negative or thought I had some agenda when in fact it was just good, unbiased and ethical advice.

I think you really can't blame people for giving you solid and unbiased advice on your situation. You asked and they are answering. Listen to what some of them are saying.

Take it all in and then if you still decide to do it..that's your decision and if things don't turn out well....you'll only have yourself to blame for discounting people's advice that know the city and work environment well.

Just at least consider the worst case scenario and have a plan. If you're still ok with moving forward under the worst case scenario then I'd say do it but so many people only think about best case scenarios.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I am not saying this is the case of the OP, but sometimes I wonder if people are trolling with these "I just hate the weather in the (fill in crappy region) and want to have a more relaxed lifestyle. I have 6 weeks savings and am going to quit my $75,000 year job and think I get a job in about a month for that pay or more since the cost of living is higher. I want to spend about $800 for a 2 bedroom that is close to the beach and...." posts.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I am not saying this is the case of the OP, but sometimes I wonder if people are trolling with these "I just hate the weather in the (fill in crappy region) and want to have a more relaxed lifestyle. I have 6 weeks savings and am going to quit my $75,000 year job and think I get a job in about a month for that pay or more since the cost of living is higher. I want to spend about $800 for a 2 bedroom that is close to the beach and...." posts.
Clevelandgal,

I think some might be trolls but I think a good # are true posts. I can't tell you how many people take the plunge and move to an area or city just because the cost of living is lower.

When I was living in South America, I saw MANY Americans moving down South. Yeah, the cost of living was lower than the USA but the locals made a fraction of what they made in the USA. I just couldn't believe how many people would move, leave good jobs and then just totally get stuck.

Some like the OP, thought their jobs were waiting back home for them....but most of them couldn't get their jobs back once the recession hit. So they spent what little savings they had, couldn't find a job, and went further into debt.

That's why I always say you really have to have a good game plan and account for the worst case scenarios in moves like this. I know sometimes newbies might think that some of us are harsh on people wanting to move to San Diego but I don't think they really understand the realities of the market here.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I wish you all the best luck. To quit a good paying & secure job to follow your dream is foolish at this time unless you have a alot of money saved up. Be prepared for disappointment though. Its very tough here in ca. Maybe wait awhile until the economy improves.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I find it ironic that the OP referred to Boston as the "rudest city in the world" when all of her replies to well thought-out, experience-driven, and genuinely concerned answers to her post have been just plain snotty.
She's from BOSTON, give her a break. What did you expect? Someone who's considerate and doesn't feel like she's God's gift to human kind?

Even after everything settles, she'll still have that heinous accent.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
She's from BOSTON, give her a break. What did you expect? Someone who's considerate and doesn't feel like she's God's gift to human kind?

Even after everything settles, she'll still have that heinous accent.
This post is a wicked pissah!! Worst. Accent. Ever.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 AM

30 posts, read 73,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
This post is a wicked pissah!! Worst. Accent. Ever.
Too bad I'm NOT from Boston

Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I think some of the optimism in general people have is the whole American Dream thing and that many people are raised with the concept that you can do anything you put your mind too ...heck I think parents should tell their kids that. Now we know that's not really true, especially in a crappy economy. Still thank goodness for dreamers, the world needs them...but only a small % of those with a big dream will have it come true.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM

116 posts, read 251,406 times
Ignoring the bickering, the job market here is pretty tough, but assuming you want to brave it, You would probably enjoy living in Hillcrest, Uptown, Downtown, Little Italy, and similar areas. They all cost quite a bit.

I've been in San Diego 10 years, from NYC. East Coasters generally love San Diego. In fact, 3 of my female friends from Boston came to visit last year and are dying to move.

As a snobby New Yorker, I look down on Boston and Bostonians, but don't hold that against me.

Have you done any research on the Inland Empire? Or any other areas of Southern california besides San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego