Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get around San Diego on public transportation conveniently without owning a car or having to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
For the most part no. Depends on where you live and work.

This topic was just recently posted.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html

Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

This topic was just recently posted.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html
Is it worst or better than in L.A.?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
absolutely depends on where you live, work and recreate, and whether you are ok with taking a cab now and then. I live in walking distance to my dentist and doctors and with the exception of the beach, about everything else I like (gyms, volunteer job, most grocery stores I like, cafes and so on) is 3 miles or less away. I could use(and in some cases have used) public transportation to get to all the places I like. Of course I like urban places so this makes it easier.
Other factors-do you, or will you ride a bike, scooter/motorcycle? that opens a lot of doors. The weather is so pleasant that riding on 2 wheels, walking more or waiting for a bus is a lot less miserable than most of the rest of the country. My husband lived here for nearly 5 months without a car, commuting from downtown to La Jolla on a scooter rain or shine-and there was a lot of rain-with no complaint. We have scooters and use our car 1x a month. We would sell it, but it is paid for and low miles so it gets to stick around for now.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is it possible to get around San Diego on public transportation conveniently without owning a car or having to drive?

Sure........but, you will spend a lot of time commuting if you have any fair amount of mileage to cover.............and, you will be surrounded be lots of very strange people along the way.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
can you live in San Diego and not drive? You can live almost anywhere and not drive: would it be convenient, absolutely NO. Most parts of Ca are more car friendly than public transportation friendly.

Nita

Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
can you live in San Diego and not drive? You can live almost anywhere and not drive: would it be convenient, absolutely NO. Most parts of Ca are more car friendly than public transportation friendly.
Nita
Agreed. I think you can exist, get by, manage without a car in San Diego, but it's not easy, practical, or convenient.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM

28 posts, read 34,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is it worst or better than in L.A.?
I'm moving to SD in two weeks, and based on the thread quoted above, I think I'll have to use my car much more than I do here in L.A.

This is not me saying that you can do everything you need to in L.A. but my roommate hasn't had a car in a year and half. I take pub. transportation to work to save on the high cost of parking and it's subsidized by my job.

There are multiple bus systems in addition to rails in L.A. In conclusion, San Diego is worse. But L.A. isn't exactly easy.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 30,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I agree.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I lived without a car for a total of 2.5 years in SD without a car. 2 years in UTC and 6 months in PB. I got by fine but having a car gives you so much more access and freedom to the rest of SD. In UTC I went to college and worked there so not having to go to other parts of SD for anything other than pleasure made that work out fine. When I lived in PB I worked downtown and the #30 bus is pretty convenient to get down there from PB.

Like people have said, it depends where you live and work. Some communities will have most or all amenities you need like PB, UTC, etc.. Then after that it will depend on where you work. It can be done and not be that bad, but overall you want one. I think if you live in the beach communities or urban communities in Central SD and either work downtown or Mission Valley then it can be done. UTC probably works too if you work there as well but you're probably get bored up there and want to leave to other more happening spots farther south from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego