Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times

Advertisements

I am considering replacing 38 year old single pane aluminum windows in the living room area of a condo next to the beach that are drafty, old looking and have rusty sills. The frames the windows would go into are 82"x58" and 106"x58." The windows are east facing and get a lot of sun in the morning, but I don't need low-e glass or pre-tinted windows because I would prefer to have a professional window tinter come and use the tint material and brand of my choice. I've read that vinyl windows are best for a high salt coastal environment since they can stand up to the elements. If anyone has gone through replacing old aluminum windows, I'd appreciate knowing what brand of vinyl window you selected, anything valuable you might have learned and if you recommend a specific local window sales/install company.

I also have a wood door that I learned the hard way doesn't stand up to water, and absorbs it, leading to mildew. I've read a lot of positive comments and reviews about fiberglass doors, but just like windows there seems to be a lot of manufacturers and product catalogs are confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,985 times
I just got our retrofit windows delivered, they are vinyl and white, but they have different colors. Double pane, low E, energy star rated, blah, blah, blah from windows depot south of San Diego. They look great and a lot cheaper than the name brand windows. We have our own guy installing the windows so not sure if they do installs as well. Not an ad so look them up if interested. but I like to cut out the middle men and save money.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM

321 posts, read 541,154 times
I don't know where the federal tax credits stand for 2011, but last year you could get up to $1500 back (30% of purchase) on windows that qualified, so it might be a mistake not to consider low E unless money's no object.

Anyway, I replaced my rusty rattling aluminum crank ones with low E double paners. They're made by Ply-Gem, single sliders. The replacement made an enormous improvement in appearance, inside and out. They keep noise out very well too. But interior climate help with them is subtle...my place still gets chilly in the winter, and the sun still bakes the living room in the summer, so the room is probably 80 versus 84 in August and September at sunset.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
I got Milgard windows last year from Newman up in Carlsbad: San Diego Replacement Windows - Vinyl Replacement Windows - Doors | Newman Windows Inc.

Best investment for my condo. Not only is it much cooler in the summer (5-7 degrees cooler inside), but it stays warmer in the winter. Also, they're a lot more soundproof, considering I live about 300 yards from the freeway, it really helps a lot.

Newman did the job better than Lowes or Home Depots contractors could. Plus if a window breaks, they will replace it for life.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times
I have obtained quotes from four different and well regarded window installation companies for two Milgard dual pane Aluminum Sliding windows with regular low E glass. The measurements are 54"x 106" and 82"x 106." The lowest price I have received is $1200 for the total job (parts, labor, haul away). What do you all think of this price? Is it low, average or high for a complete job?

Are Milgard Aluminum windows available for purchase separately from millworks supply places or big box stores? A friend of me told me he bought his windows online and then hired someone to install two large windows like mine for $300

Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
We're having ours replaced a week from this Friday. We went with a company called Brothers. The in-laws used them for their house and were very pleased, so we're giving them a shot. We had a couple other companies quote us that were pushing the PlyGem 200 series, but the quality difference between them and the Brothers product is night and day. Brothers is also a one-stop shop in that they both manufacture and install their own product.

We can't wait to get them installed. Both my parents and my in-laws have had their windows replaced in the last year, and the difference is startling. They look better, they're WAY more insulative (both thermally and acoustically), and they work a helluva lot easier than the old ones.

I'd agree to the notion that it's worthwhile to opt for the more efficient window now. For starters, that's pretty much all anyone carries anyway. In addition, there is a tax credit for getting the efficient ones. It's not as much as it used to be, but still.

Mike

Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post

Are Milgard Aluminum windows available for purchase separately from millworks supply places or big box stores? A friend of me told me he bought his windows online and then hired someone to install two large windows like mine for $300
yes they are!
Home depot and or dixie Line sells Milgard windows(special order only)
I would order them,then do your do diligence in finding a competent contractor to install them.
Also "those are some pretty big windows" are they going to be XOX
or fixed windows?
Finally if you can find it in your budget go with low E glass.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
We're having ours replaced a week from this Friday. We went with a company called Brothers. The in-laws used them for their house and were very pleased, so we're giving them a shot. We had a couple other companies quote us that were pushing the PlyGem 200 series, but the quality difference between them and the Brothers product is night and day. Brothers is also a one-stop shop in that they both manufacture and install their own product.

We can't wait to get them installed. Both my parents and my in-laws have had their windows replaced in the last year, and the difference is startling. They look better, they're WAY more insulative (both thermally and acoustically), and they work a helluva lot easier than the old ones.

I'd agree to the notion that it's worthwhile to opt for the more efficient window now. For starters, that's pretty much all anyone carries anyway. In addition, there is a tax credit for getting the efficient ones. It's not as much as it used to be, but still.

Mike
Mike,

Making a home energy efficient here in SD can save TONS of money in the long run especially with older homes. We are so lucky to have great weather as is, but radiant heat for example, regardless if you live near the ocean or not can make a house pretty warm.
Using a combination of proper R Value insulation for our region, correct attic ventilation, modernized windows, doors and even if you have a few extra bucks getting radiant barrier in the attic can really do wonders.

The windows should work wonders in sealing any potential thermal cracks. Personally, for me this is something that I was a big stickler about when house shopping, especially for an older home. I just dont understand why people dont do these fixes that have lived in them for a while and take a HELOC out for it.

Good luck. Tell us how the install goes

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 09-07-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I did a complete remodel on my place years ago using dp windows and good insulation. My house got up to 80 inside yesterday and that's it. No ac needed. 81 has been the warmest inside it's every been even during that 100+ streak years back. Before I did this it was unbearable with the ac going full blast and standing in the pool.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I did a complete remodel on my place years ago using dp windows and good insulation. My house got up to 80 inside yesterday and that's it. No ac needed. 81 has been the warmest inside it's every been even during that 100+ streak years back. Before I did this it was unbearable with the ac going full blast and standing in the pool.
I totally agree! These days, its so easy to get reasonable prices on newer technology for keeping a home energy efficient on homes that were built in an era where it was not the norm.

81 is the warmest for me as well on the edge of east county. Yesterday for example it was almost 100 and humid outside. Wow.

Forgot that feeling of hitting a wall of heat and humidity when opening a door! Back on the east coast the weathermen would call it the 3 H's (hot humid hazy) lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego