Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In all fairness, Nogales is 60 miles from Tucson, whereas TJ is right next to SD.
In even more fairness, TJ is only "right next to SD" because SD is careful to keep a corridor. TJ is actually 16 miles from San Diego downtown. Not as much as 60 miles, and the trolley goes right down there, but still ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Whenever I see a title like, here is my take on this City because I'm educated or sophisticated I usually think, oh, "here we go". Usually it is spot on. I laugh my behind off when someone states that they can't find the arts, concerts or intelligent people in a big City. Talk about a red flag. What exactly is it that someone thinks they are better than others because they have different tastes? I know a LOT of people I've absorbed knowledge from with less than a HS education.

That doesn't make me smart, educated or sophisticated, it makes me understand a little bit more about life. Hopefully.
I agree. It's ironic how people who claim to be so educated and sophisticated come off as the opposite on here. These diatribes are all pretty much a carbon copy of each other; full of a bunch of the same stereotypical, over generalization BS with the OP trying to masquerade around as some "intellectual". SD seems to do a good job at spitting out the psuedo-intellectuals.

I think some of these people just need a place with an "intellectual-vibe" where people all have the same interests. I don't think a lot of these people even participate in the fine arts, culture, etc..they claim to want. An example I've used before is I remember a poster who would complain about the lack of culture in SD then when someone posted about the SD Film Festival they were all surprised because they never knew SD had one even though she apparently "loved" film festivals. I guess the film festival was suppose to come and knock on her door.

mysticaltyger described this psuedo-intellectualism these types of people generally need in another thread, one that exists here in the Bay Area:
Quote:
This is how I feel about the Bay Area's intellectualism. It's just a bunch of reasonably smart people without original ideas parroting each other...another form of groupthink
Be glad SD isn't full of a bunch pretentious, psuedo-intellectuals that we see on this forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Precisely ^^
There is a lot of USA out there. To say there isnt culture here probably boils down to those individuals leaving because they couldnt connect in any way, shape or form. Nothing wrong with that, but its certainly not because its not there.

I dont think there is anything wrong with groupthink per se, some people prefer it over some quasi form of isolation or independence. I would much rather see people being connected with something rather than not at all. Regardless of my personal position.

In other words, without the diatribe, this A+B=C logic could be summarized as simply as:
I like brunettes> there arent enough brunettes here> San Diego sucks because I didnt see enough brunettes

And to think this jibe isnt happening in any other city... lol

Being educated is self motivation towards individual empowerment. There is no right or wrong way to achieve this so long as there is a result which is satisfactory be the recipient or self. Claiming to be educated because you are from somewhere that is rich in the arts (world class level) doesnt make that person any more or less sophisticated than anyone else. Its exposure, plain and simple. So I supposed when someone claims this, they are trying to throw it out there to relate to others that may be seeking the same. However, as it relates to San Diego exclusively, the apples to apples comparison approach is where it fails completley.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 12-13-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Any time someone talks about how educated they are, I think of this asshat.

http://youtu.be/0ufk8Gglw6Y

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-co.../06/hermon.jpg

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Any time someone talks about how educated they are, I think of this asshat.

http://youtu.be/0ufk8Gglw6Y

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-co.../06/hermon.jpg

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. I think she managed to get them pulled from YouTube but the video is still available on this site:

Douche Of The Day - Well Educated Moron | ::RANDOM TANDEM::

This was pretty funny as well.

http://www.randomtandem.com/2011/06/...u-is-her-name/

Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
The red flags go up and my spidey sense goes off whenever someone describes themselves as well educated, intellectual, and even "professional" Hell, everybody is a professional now. My friend is a "professional drain cleaner" raking in about $100.00 an hour. There was a time when "professional meant something, I think it was limited to a handful of professions (Dr, JD, CPA,..etc) Now everybody is a professional.

Anybody that is describing themselves with one of these adjectives is just a wanna-be. If you really are an intellectual I would think you would have the smarts not to sound like an a$$hole.

I had the privilege of living across the street from a real-life genius, he was some sort of atom smasher type of dude at UCSD. I would have never known this if my neighbor ("the neighborhood chismosa"-gossiper in spanish) told me he was a scientist with a PHD. He was the greatest guy and sooooo unassuming. He had the greatest personality and didn't mind swapping low brow humor in my garage over a Budweiser. He went on to move to Stanford and take over some department in a university there. But I never recall him explaining to me how smart he was, how frustrating it was to live amongst commoners, or not having enough cultural outlet.

I think some people get an outstanding education but miss the one important class in personality, manners, and creating and maintaining friendships. I guess it should be a requirement and not an elective.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
The red flags go up and my spidey sense goes off whenever someone describes themselves as well educated, intellectual, and even "professional"

I totally agree! Two of my best friends in life went to Ivy League schools. (Harvard and Yale) and they NEVER even mention it to anyone that they went there. Many of my clients also went to Ivy League schools and they have never mentioned it to me that they went there. I only found out from noticing it on LinkedIn.

People that have to mention they are "well educated" "intellectual" or "professionals" often times have severe inferiority complexes.

I was recently flying on an international trip and the girl sitting next to me in first class kept mentioning she went to Harvard. I felt like saying, "yeah, I heard you went to Harvard the first 5 times you mentioned it". LOL.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
The red flags go up and my spidey sense goes off whenever someone describes themselves as well educated, intellectual, and even "professional" Hell, everybody is a professional now. My friend is a "professional drain cleaner" raking in about $100.00 an hour. There was a time when "professional meant something, I think it was limited to a handful of professions (Dr, JD, CPA,..etc) Now everybody is a professional.

Anybody that is describing themselves with one of these adjectives is just a wanna-be. If you really are an intellectual I would think you would have the smarts not to sound like an a$$hole.

I had the privilege of living across the street from a real-life genius, he was some sort of atom smasher type of dude at UCSD. I would have never known this if my neighbor ("the neighborhood chismosa"-gossiper in spanish) told me he was a scientist with a PHD. He was the greatest guy and sooooo unassuming. He had the greatest personality and didn't mind swapping low brow humor in my garage over a Budweiser. He went on to move to Stanford and take over some department in a university there. But I never recall him explaining to me how smart he was, how frustrating it was to live amongst commoners, or not having enough cultural outlet.

I think some people get an outstanding education but miss the one important class in personality, manners, and creating and maintaining friendships. I guess it should be a requirement and not an elective.

Well now, you are stretching it. You mean actual class? pffft

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
Quote:
In all fairness, Nogales is 60 miles from Tucson, whereas TJ is right next to SD.
Thats a huge perk in my opinion. I love going down to Mexico... You can't beat the food down there or the relaxation.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I agree. It's ironic how people who claim to be so educated and sophisticated come off as the opposite on here. These diatribes are all pretty much a carbon copy of each other; full of a bunch of the same stereotypical, over generalization BS with the OP trying to masquerade around as some "intellectual". SD seems to do a good job at spitting out the psuedo-intellectuals.

I think some of these people just need a place with an "intellectual-vibe" where people all have the same interests. I don't think a lot of these people even participate in the fine arts, culture, etc..they claim to want. An example I've used before is I remember a poster who would complain about the lack of culture in SD then when someone posted about the SD Film Festival they were all surprised because they never knew SD had one even though she apparently "loved" film festivals. I guess the film festival was suppose to come and knock on her door.

mysticaltyger described this psuedo-intellectualism these types of people generally need in another thread, one that exists here in the Bay Area:

Be glad SD isn't full of a bunch pretentious, psuedo-intellectuals that we see on this forum.
If someone has to inform others that they are "sophisticated", they are far from it. Run, don't walk away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego