Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
the brunt of my argument was that I do not believe SD to be the finest city in America--which San Diego, not I, calls itself. That doesn't mean it's not a nice city, which I have stated it is, just questioning whether it's the best or finest..It might have the best climate several months out of the year, though not year round. Seems we've reached some common ground on this board where I'm not being attacked with the line--if you don't like it here, why don't you leave--for my not agreeing it's the finest city in America. Nor did I state Portland is a better place overall--just different with one component, food, better...I lived in Marin County (Mill Valley) many years ago which I enjoyed as much, if not more than, San Diego albeit for different reasons.

objectively, SD has the best climate year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Portland is the rainy version of San Diego... nothing to see there. They have less of an economy than we do and OR is a welfare state.

Seattle is the premier tier two west coast city, if you care about your career and don't want to live in LA or SF, it's about as good as it's gonna get. Personally I'd rather live in Seattle but after 20+ years in SD I think I would wuss out on the weather there.
SD has more to see than Portland.
Both SD and Portland have comparable nice surrounding areas.
So, tier 1 is LA, SF, SD? Tier 2 SEA? Tier 3 PO ??
The weather is SEA is more moderate than your home east coast (LI) without the frigid/snowy-icy winters nor hot/humid/oppressive summers, though SD is better than SEA. SD>SEA>NY, weather-wise.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:59 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Who is tired of East Coast people bashing SD because it doesn't live up to their expectations. This guy that's who.

...And they always seem to happen to be from the North East part of the country. I've never once seen a thread of these types started by someone from Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, or Seattle.

Aristocratic snobs, go away!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:44 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
We went out yesterday before the game and tooled around. The beaches here are some of the best, and the waves at Mission Beach were big! We met some happy younger people there and chatted it up for a while. Very pleasant. We left just as the loud cars were arriving. We went to Peoples market with some of the best organic one can buy and then to Point Loma Seafood for their awesome selection. We drove back all the time cars whizzing around me almost everybody in a hurry on a Sunday and some dangerous driving for sure. Freeways here are the best imho.

I've struggled with living here and far prefer Alaska but family is here so I stay. In a few years I will be there equal amounts of time. I have had outstanding meals here (Le Bastide Scripps Ranch), met very pleasant people and enjoyed a very good job.

Yet, it is missing that "something" but if I were raising a family I would consider strongly San Diego. We were in SF two weeks ago and Chrissy Field is the place on weekends crowded enormously fun and happy. Here there are so many more opportunities for family fun and you know what, most of the time there is PARKING. So my ambivalence about the area has waned and now I appreciate it more. Is it bland? Sure it is, but it's reasonable safe and predictable. It's gone from a D to a B-in my three years here.

Faves

Cinepolis Del Mar
Santa Ysabel and Julian
HOV lanes on the 15
Peoples Cooperative
Von's Heirloom tomatoes
Police response time
Medical Care (superior)
Moonlight Beach
Dog Beach
Le Bastide Scripps Ranch, Poseidon Del Mar, Marriott Coronado

Maybe a B.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM

Good useful trait an open active mind. ^

Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
OK I have to get his off my chest now that I read AADAD's post....I went to see gone girl at the Cinepolis this weekend at 1pm on Saturday and tickets were 17.50 a piece. $35 for two tickets. That's insane no matter how you slice it

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
"And they always seem to happen to be from the North East part of the country. I've never once seen a thread of these types started by someone from Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, or Seattle."

...speaking of SF, have you ever spent time there--as in living there?...if not, you would be surprised how many people I met when I lived there (No Cal natives) who despise SoCal, which would include San Diego (not just LA). More of a looking down at their SoCal neighbors, so I guess SF is filled with aristocratic snobs as well.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-20-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
objectively, SD has the best climate year round.
Are we talking averages or specific months/periods of the year?

On average, San Diego temperature is 72; however, as we saw in August leading into September it was unseasonably warm and, god forbid, humid for the second time in the past 4 years with some on this forum complaining about their SDGE air conditioning bills.. In the winter it can reach and exceed 72 for short periods but more times than not is below that (low-mid 60's, on average, getting down to the 50's some weeks and 40's at night). Presence or absence of gray and gloom can effect the months of May and June. But, on average, San Diego is a picture perfect 72--though not every day.

I prefer So. Florida weather in the specific time period of November 1 - May when you can still sunbathe at the beach (no sweatshirt needed) and go in the ocean without a wetsuit. Granted, more humidity and more overall rain, but nice breezes keep it comfortable during this time period. I was there in the middle of August and ocean breezes kept the beachfront communities tolerable, bordering on pleasant even at 92 (just a few miles inland is another story altogether).

Sure, San Diego can have a Santa Ana condition in Jan and Feb when it warms up for a week just as a cold front from Canada can make its way to So Florida in December or January when temps dip into the low 60s' during the day for a few days to a week.

So I guess it depends whether you are looking at averages or specific months of the year. Does San Diego have the best weather in the country all 365 days of the year?--no; but it does have good-great weather most of the year and far better than virtually all other places.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-20-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 AM

generally overall

Old 10-22-2014, 02:32 PM

74 posts, read 89,542 times
I lived in the East, South and North and nowhere is better than San Diego. It's like waking up in Heaven everyday. I don't drink so I don't go to bars and clubs. Restaurants are tricky because there are a lot of crap establishments. But there are a lot of gems too. To weed out the crap I use Yelp reviews so I don't waste my money. You can't beat the weather here. I can play basketball at the park in the middle of January
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego