Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times

Advertisements

I haven't experienced any violent behaviour on the trolley. What irks me though are the discourteous seat hogs I encounter every time I'm on the line especially when it's crowded. People with packages on the seat next to them, others with their legs up and resting on seats across from them. They will not move and let others sit down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Pc or not, I hated riding the Orange Line.......too many weirdoes and thugs populate that line.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I haven't experienced any violent behaviour on the trolley. What irks me though are the discourteous seat hogs I encounter every time I'm on the line especially when it's crowded. People with packages on the seat next to them, others with their legs up and resting on seats across from them. They will not move and let others sit down.
I'm guilty of that to a point- if there are other seats available I'll often leave my bag next to me to discourage company, but I'll move it when it gets crowded.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
I used to ride the trolley a lot the past few years for school. I don't ride it that much now. I've never had any problems on any of the trolley lines. I've ridden all of them many times. The orange line does go through some sketchy areas but I've gotten on and off at some of the stops and have never had anything stolen or felt like I was in danger. The one creepy thing about the orange line is when it goes through the cemetery, that to me has always been kind of creepy. The green line is kind of cool because it goes underground at SDSU and goes over the top of the freeway and then along the side of it in Grantville and Mission Valley. The blue line has always been really crowded. The few times I've been on it there was standing room only. On every line of the trolley, you will encounter odd characters, homeless people ranting and raving to themselves, the occasional tweaker, etc but for the most part it's just normal people going to work or school.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
You get the same problems on the busses. Some of the drivers are pretty good, and get rid of them, others just ignore them.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I was on the Green Line just this week. I felt completely safe, and the cars were pretty darn clean. I had no issues or complaints whatsoever. I wish more bus lines were replaced with trolley lines.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
The Green Line is definitely my favorite of the three.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
I'm glad the vehicles are being replaced. Makes things a lot easier. I like the new vehicles. As for seedy people, well, it's San Diego, and it's California. What does one expect?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Around my hood, the old timers here say the trolley coming through 'ruined' the community feel and brought in a bad element from south SD. I am sure there is some validity to that claim vs other auto centric cities that dont have the trolley.
In hindsight the way the urban neighborhoods look now, a trolley line or street car revival would have made a lot more sense.

The Orange line is the line we have used since living downtown and where I live now. Its not the prettiest line to go through to downtown but it does the job. In all the years we have lived here, we were never approached by weirdos but definitely plenty of them on just about every ride. Definitely enough to make anyone not accustomed to riding mass transit uncomfortable.
On the other hand I have met some really interesting people that ride the trolley that go to work/school, have a life etc.
The Orange line trolley stops have mostly all been upgraded recently and look miles better than before. That and they just started to low level cars like the Green line has. I have never had an issue with cleanliness either.

The Green line I agree is probably the nicest of the lot.

I just dont see mass transit as being an alternative everyday solution for most folks. While it may work much better in certain parts, I dont think its will be the best solution for everyone.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I agree, the new trolley cars are nice, and it'll be nicer when they're replaced on all the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego