Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times

Advertisements

We're considering an apt in Logan Heights, cross-streeets are Julian & Sampson. We currently live in a small studio in University Heights, lived in Escondido before that. We've heard the area isn't very good... but we're looking for a bigger apt & the price is right.

We're a lesbian couple in our mid-20's. I'm Hispanic & my g/f is Canadian Native American. She doesn't speak spanish, but is slowly picking up a little from me. We're quiet & don't bother people... but are obviously gay.

I guess we're wondering how safe the area would be for an openly lesbian couple. We don't mind a little ghetto (my g/f is from an area in canada w/too much gang activity, so not much fazes her). We just dont want to move somewhere we'd be scared to simply hold hands outside our own apt.

Any opinions on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragemore View Post
We're considering an apt in Logan Heights, cross-streeets are Julian & Sampson. We currently live in a small studio in University Heights, lived in Escondido before that. We've heard the area isn't very good... but we're looking for a bigger apt & the price is right.

We're a lesbian couple in our mid-20's. I'm Hispanic & my g/f is Canadian Native American. She doesn't speak spanish, but is slowly picking up a little from me. We're quiet & don't bother people... but are obviously gay.

I guess we're wondering how safe the area would be for an openly lesbian couple. We don't mind a little ghetto (my g/f is from an area in canada w/too much gang activity, so not much fazes her). We just dont want to move somewhere we'd be scared to simply hold hands outside our own apt.

Any opinions on the area?
ragemore,

It actually a pretty quiet area for the times that I have gone through, specifically that little triangle (5, Commercial and 28th). Lots of families, heavily latino.
I tend to go to the area for Cafe Moto and Ryan Bros coffee, which is right nearby off of National. There is also a bada$$ carniceria that is close as well that I will get some stuff from when I am around. IMHO, this should or will be an area in heavy transition for the next decade especially if the football stadium happens. Just like some parts north in Golden Hill, there is a huge movement or revitalizing these areas to support the downtown core.

To my knowledge lots of artists are renting space there and I had actually been to an exhibit in one of the hanger type buildings. Its cheap and close to mass transit. By San Diego standards is totally unlivable, but for anyone that has lived or had exposure to run down neighborhoods that are relatively safe, heavily ethnic and low income, you should be fine. So it sounds like you would decent candidates. I take the trolley through this area and have NEVER been threatened or weirded out. Ugly? Yes. Unsafe? Mmm I wouldn't test the waters at 4am, but during the day, fine.

Typically I would say to try and stay north of Commercial St but people are getting pushed out that area because rents are starting to rise due to specualtion and a push from the Sherman Heights Assocs.

Last but not least, definitely see for yourself. In areas like this, streets are the equivalent to zip codes (ie one street safer or different than the next one). I dont think this is an understood notion if you are coming from rural or suburban environs.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego