Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygreenfraggle View Post
Polly Glott............Oh wow that was the point??????? Yeah I get that but I didn't know I was going to be screwed up my butt.
You could have avoided all the negative responses if you had simply reworded your original post a bit.
Something like: "I got this $440 ticket. Wondering if that high a price is normal? By the way, I sure learned my lesson with that, and I vow not to go that fast again."
There! You may not have meant it, but it would have taken the sails out of those of us who felt that your attitude is: it's OK to speed, but not OK to have to pay the price.
Does this make sense to you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
By the way I don't approve of driving and using my phone just speeding................
You APPROVE of speeding?

I can't believe people (including me) are actually wasting time responding to this thread.

Do you think speeding laws are purely arbitrary, and not implemented to prevent accidents and SAVE LIVES?

Are you aware how many people die on highways because idiots decide they are "above" the law, and choose to speed.

Maybe you should read this:

Excessive Speed Is A Factor In One Third Of All Fatal Crashes

Still approve of speeding ????

Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Yeah ok. I highly doubt that!
What was funny was that the highway patrol officer said he had been tailing me for 10 minutes. All I could do was scratch my head as I had been doing 63 in the 55 right before he pulled me over, and I was not the fastest auto on the road.

I went to the comedy shop traffic school for it. Told the woman teaching it to see the ticket for a better laugh then she gave any of us.

I wanted to go to the stripper traffic school but they had closed up just weeks before.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM

128 posts, read 284,965 times
$440 is about right for California, but high compared to other states. The camera tickets are also around $440.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
earlyretirment, thanks for responding in a non hostile matter, you are right it's easy to speed especially if it's in a car your not used to driving. I do take responsibility and will just pay for the ticket. It's easy to speed out here in SD. So many people do and at times I feel I'm going with the flow of traffic till I check my speed. I usually am pretty careful this time I wasn't and thought I was going with the flow of traffic, was driving my boyfriends car and was driving on easter when plenty of cops are out.

You are totally welcome. I think some of these responses are harsh. I see speeding day in and day out and as you mentioned, many times it's just driving with traffic so it's difficult to notice. I know I've done it many many times. The simple act of speeding isn't what makes things so dangerous. It's other things. That's why the speedometer in many new cars go up to 170 mph.

I'm not advocating speeding at all. But I can understand your frustration but unfortunately I think we'll be seeing much more of this type of fine. I was in town 2 weeks ago to close on my new house and driving in from LAX and on the way back they were pulling over TONS of people for speeding.

The thing is EVERYONE and their brother was speeding (including me) just following traffic and they were just pulling out random drivers to give tickets to.

You know the saying..don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.... but still I understand your frustration and I agree those types of fines are really high.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
,.... but still I understand your frustration and I agree those types of fines are really high.
The cost of a ticket has never been reasonable, the high cost is meant to sting to teach a lesson. Looking back it can seem reasonable in the past but the cost for me was always 2 days pay.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
CA speeding tickets are absolutely nuts in terms of fines, process, etc.

Going 86 in 65 is not that unusual for CA freeways, especially if there isn't traffic. $440 is ridiculous for going slightly above normal freeway traffic.

I was going 115 in TX once (in 80 speed limit), cop clocked me at 105 and the fine was $290. I am pretty sure if that fine was $5000 there would be a certain city-data contingent with a "you deserve that fine."

Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
CA speeding tickets are absolutely nuts in terms of fines, process, etc.

Going 86 in 65 is not that unusual for CA freeways, especially if there isn't traffic. $440 is ridiculous for going slightly above normal freeway traffic.

I was going 115 in TX once (in 80 speed limit), cop clocked me at 105 and the fine was $290. I am pretty sure if that fine was $5000 there would be a certain city-data contingent with a "you deserve that fine."
If you were going 115 I don't care where it is (unless the Autobond) you should have been given a ticket a hell of lot higher than $290 and where is Texas was this? I must have missed that area of the state, I don't remember seein many places with a speed limit much faster that 70 or 75, even in Texas. Oh, I see you are saying "once" many years ago fines were a little different than today.

Nita

Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you were going 115 I don't care where it is (unless the Autobond) you should have been given a ticket a hell of lot higher than $290 and where is Texas was this? I must have missed that area of the state, I don't remember seein many places with a speed limit much faster that 70 or 75, even in Texas. Oh, I see you are saying "once" many years ago fines were a little different than today.

Nita
On the 10 between Dallas and El Paso. Some place where there's no one around except some truckers and a few cops. Most of that road is flat with 80 speed limit.

At least at the time, the max fine in TX was $290 no matter how many miles over the limit you are going. The cop didn't even give a lecture, don't even think it was an abnormal speed on that freeway...it was pretty much a 90 second transaction then I went back on the freeway...doubt he pulled many people or any people over who were driving < 95.

I got the impression he was much more concerned about making money for the state or finding illegals than wasting his time lecturing a couple yuppies in a german automobile.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
On the 10 between Dallas and El Paso. Some place where there's no one around except some truckers and a few cops. Most of that road is flat with 80 speed limit.

At least at the time, the max fine in TX was $290 no matter how many miles over the limit you are going. The cop didn't even give a lecture, don't even think it was an abnormal speed on that freeway...it was pretty much a 90 second transaction then I went back on the freeway...doubt he pulled many people or any people over who were driving < 95.

I got the impression he was much more concerned about making money for the state or finding illegals than wasting his time lecturing a couple yuppies in a german automobile.
again, I ask, when was this? I have driven that stretch a couple of times when we lived in Texas.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego