Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM

141 posts, read 286,891 times

Advertisements

I read your public profile as I needed more info. The job market is way worse here in some areas than in FLL. If you want to work as a security guard for 9.00 and hour and try and find a room in a house then you might make it. If you are looking for a good job then forget it. San Diego has a crappy economy period. It always has, it has never been really strong. What skills do you have, how old are you? Need more info................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
I love this environment. I love the work, I love the challenges, and I love that it is competitive. I'm glad a lot of people are getting out of the way because they had no business there in the first place.

Anyone who approaches a job from the perspective of doing the least amount possible or with willful ignorance to everything but a narrow, "highly specialized" unrealistic set of responsibilities, deserves to have their line cut - they are in la la land, and should be footing their own bill for their existence. People who are multitalented and willing to risk it all, and do whatever it takes, who can see the big picture from many individuals' perspectives, and find the value in those perspectives and diverse talents, and make a project work, they are the ones who succeed in any environment.

No matter whether it's boom or bust, or if someone's an engineer or a line cook in a restaurant. Kick ass and rock out, or get out of the kitchen.

I'm tired of hearing people complaining about this economy and all its problems. Get on with it!!
It's good for people like us, with deep experience and lots of skills, but it's not good for enough other people that it affects our lives too, and that's the problem. This country is founded on economic activity, so something is broken if people are not working.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
Just read this in the paper, so here goes. Intuit in SD is looking for qualified people to fill 116 positions (engineering/ software engineers) There's more than 2,000 job openings (math/ computer) in companies such as ID Analytics, Intuit, Sempra, Jack in the Box. The problem all over the country is a HUGE mismatch between skills people HAVE, and skills that are NEEDED. Not enough math, engineering, computer, and science people. I also feel a bit sorry for young people today, how do they even know that what they might be training for will even exist when they finish? . . . . .

Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
I also feel a bit sorry for young people today, how do they even know that what they might be training for will even exist when they finish? . . . . .
You mean like all the people who got into IS / IT in the 90's because the gub'ment told them it was the future? And then all the jobs went to India?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM

10 posts, read 14,219 times
Default IT is no more for locals

I work in San Diego in the office where most of the IT I would say over 90% are Indians. It is unbelivable but that's the way it is, I would say it is pretty large IT operation, so it is around 200 people with ratio of over 90% Indians.
Most of them barely speaking english and representing very basic entry level skills.
There is also large group of Indians outsourced from Indian offices, where we have constant phone meetings with them.
As a matter of fact I know that they get paid very little
If anybody still thinks getting into IT needs to have his/her head examined, sorry but thats how I see it

Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

296 posts, read 614,327 times
It'll come up again. That's how it goes. Boom and bust, up and down. It is what it is, and there's a reason for the economic crash. People will hunker down, pay off their dead debts, and come out of it wiser than they were in 06 when it was going crazy.

@ITSKS I think you have a pretty narrow understanding of "IT" there is tons of money to be made. And some of us work in the field not even so much for the money but because we love it. Programming is one of the most purely creative activities one can do. With just a few good people, you can build something truly useful that changes peoples' lives positively. And as an American I have no problem at all with people from India or anywhere else.

Last edited by scottfreez; 08-31-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM

What can you say since you are in europe, stop talking BS cause you have no clue

Quote:
It'll come up again. That's how it goes. Boom and bust, up and down. It is what it is, and there's a reason for the economic crash. People will hunker down, pay off their dead debts, and come out of it wiser than they were in 06 when it was going crazy.

@ITSKS I think you have a pretty narrow understanding of "IT" there is tons of money to be made. And some of us work in the field not even so much for the money but because we love it. Programming is one of the most purely creative activities one can do. With just a few good people, you can build something truly useful that changes peoples' lives positively. And as an American I have no problem at all with people from India or anywhere else.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I spoke to someone today that drives a Budweiser truck. He says that the company is messing around with everyone's hours, and no one likes it, but they can't afford to quit. He said that they recently advertised one part-time position, and had over 150 applications for it.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM

296 posts, read 614,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSks View Post
What can you say since you are in europe, stop talking BS cause you have no clue
Hey Einstein, I'm an American and have lived all over the place in the USA. I'm in Europe now and I maintain business with Americans and people in various other countries. I'll come back, but because I think California is the greatest place in the whole frigging world, despite what all you party poopers say. And you know what? If America sucks ass as bad as you think it does, I'll move back to Europe. Or somewhere else, I don't care! Oooh, woe is me!! So you see it really doesn't pay to be negative!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Hey Trump
If it's so good,why don't you move back your business to California where taxes are low and business friendly environment everywhere.
If I were you I wouldn't stay in EU one day, why bother with them California rules only suckers live in EU ))), of I forget it is a pity to earn Euros, US Dollar is way better and getting stronger

Quote:
Hey Einstein, I'm an American and have lived all over the place in the USA. I'm in Europe now and I maintain business with Americans and people in various other countries. I'll come back, but because I think California is the greatest place in the whole frigging world, despite what all you party poopers say. And you know what? If America sucks ass as bad as you think it does, I'll move back to Europe. Or somewhere else, I don't care! Oooh, woe is me!! So you see it really doesn't pay to be negative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego