Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:58 PM

632 posts, read 1,070,845 times

Advertisements

Schmoov - Wow...thanks for the response. I've been very entrenched in the craft brew scene here in Michigan, I had no idea about out there. Thanks for the heads up...I'll be looking forward to it.

Jake - Thanks for the heads up haha. I was specifically getting at snowboarding/skiing seasons...how long they last...when the best snow typically is...etc. Here, we get our best powder in January/Februaryish...and I've been to Colorado and there its typically around March it seems. Was just wondering if it was any different out there as to when I could shred!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
The 30th st. corridor- from South Park through North Park to Normal Heights/University Heights is craft beer heaven- I don't think there is a better beer st. in the U.S- you can fill your growlers just up the street at Stone Brewery store in South Park
These neighborhoods should also be on your radar as you scope out your place to live- although the typical Midwesterner or East coaster is drawn to the beach for at least a bit (understandably)
but just broaden your search
http://northparkscene.com/
SOUTH PARK San Diego
http://30thstreet.org/
http://sdurban.com/ (for a little more urban flava of the area)

Little Italy, Bankers Hill, Cortez Hill are probably the best neighborhoods downtown. Encinitas if you want to really experience the beach scene is a great little town up north.

We are like Colorado for the ski season- great snow well late into march typically, best powder in late Februrary to March. We were up in Tahoe at that time this year and got dumped on with 5' of fresh powder in just a few days- actually was difficult to snowboard in (or rather, a beetch to try to get up after falling haha- just sink, sink, sink...)

It'll be just a wee bit different here than Detroit I would imagine haha

Welcome to San Diego!

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-06-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Schmoov - Wow...thanks for the response. I've been very entrenched in the craft brew scene here in Michigan, I had no idea about out there. Thanks for the heads up...I'll be looking forward to it.

Jake - Thanks for the heads up haha. I was specifically getting at snowboarding/skiing seasons...how long they last...when the best snow typically is...etc. Here, we get our best powder in January/Februaryish...and I've been to Colorado and there its typically around March it seems. Was just wondering if it was any different out there as to when I could shred!
The whole ski season here in Colorado was powder. It was insane. One resort even stayed open until July 4.

Good luck with the move to Diego. I miss my home town.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:37 PM

T-Damon - Thanks! I'll add those to my list of places to look into as well.

If I have 4 full days to do recon on the area, it looks like I'm going to have my hands full. I'm hoping to find something and sign a lease after viewing the property before I leave, so that I'll have something solid to move into when I get there.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Hey there -

I recently returned from a scouting trip to the area; and thank you all for the input you've given on the locales, etc.

I just have a few more questions based on some experiences, findings, etc!

1. Pacific Beach vs. Gaslamp vs. North Park...Can anyone offer some insight as to what might be the best for day-to-day living?

I love the downtown feel and walkability in the Gaslamp and East Village area, and there are some reasonably priced lofts/1beds there. In the Island Avenue area, Market/6th area, Front St. area...it all looks decent in my opinion. Pacific Beach seems like a place to go on a Friday or Saturday night here or there and have that "party night out" which everyone needs from time to time, but I dont know if I'd like to be in that area 24/7. North Park feels very suburban to me...but looks a lot more relaxed and easygoing. Any thoughts?

2. I am going to have a car when I relocate...this is not an issue. But - what is the outlook of a commute from the Downtown (Gaslamp) area to Sorrento Valley area using the Coaster light rail service? I'd be biking from apartment to station, then from station to work (about 2 miles total of biking). I looked at the fares/etc, as well as the timing and it looks reasonable from my end. A half hour train commute and maybe 20 minutes of biking. I'm looking at this as a 3-4 day/week alternative to driving to work. (I have a lease currently, and am looking at mileage/gas prices). Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you all for your insight again!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
In no particular order -

I heartily support your use of mass transit and biking. The area around Torrey Pines/Sorrento Valley could provide some spectacular lunch hour bicycling along Pacific Coast Hwy and the old Sorrento Valley Road. However, it's quite probable that the route from the Coaster Station to your job will involve biking up a very big hill. I'm assuming that your job is up on the mesa near Torrey Pines Golf course, the UCSD campus and the Salk Institute. I'm not a bicyclist, so I don't know quite how unpleasant it would be for a real biker, but it's not something I would like to do.

I think you have Pacific Beach correctly pegged. Party there on some of your weekends, but live elsewhere.

North Park can be a great neighborhood with lots of walkability and access to amenities in Balboa Park like the golf course, frisbee golf course, and such. I know you've described it as 'suburban' but in San Diego, it's actually considered a very urban, historic area (anything pre WWII is historic in San Diego). If you choose North Park, a lot would depend on where exactly you are looking. Give us cross streets, and we'll try to guide you.

Regarding Downtown, all of the areas you have listed are decent, though I don't quite know Downtown on a block by block basis. The best advice I can give you is to overlay a giant "C" on downtown centered on Broadway. The areas covered by the "C" are better than the areas that aren't. That means while Broadway becomes iffy by 7th Avenue or so, you can go to 8th or 9th or 10th Avenues depending on how far north or south you are of Broadway. There is a large homeless population downtown, but they gravitate further east past 7th to 10th Avenues.

A benefit of living downtown and being a bicyclist, and having a decent income is that you can take the ferry to Coronado and bicycle down the Silver Strand.

Personally, I would choose North Park over Downtown, but that's because I prefer more historic, walkable, neighborhoody areas. You may not be in that place in your life yet.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks, Kettlepot. My place of employment is actually just off Exit 32; off Carmel Mountain Road. Maybe a mile from the train station...a bit north of the area to which you're referring.

Thanks for the insight to the North Park culture as well. Once I peg down an area when I'm back in a week or so, I'll have some crossroads for you to rattle your brain.

With regards to downtown; coming from Detroit I've learned to 'deal' with the homeless issue. They don't bother me as much as I've read (on this forum) that they bother others; however I did notice this when I was in town last week.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
coming from Cleveland ,sister city in many ways to Detroit, I have yet to see in neighborhood in SD where I feel fearful. Due to my love of authentic hole in the wall ethnic food eateries and grocery stores , I have been to some of the areas people in SD find "scary"-and on a scooter no less. Sure some I would not want to live in, but there is nothing here like what I have seen in my former environs of Cleveland, Tampa, and DC. I worked in Social Services so I was in some tough areas...but then I liked living in the city too. In 2 of the 3 mentioned cities, I heard gun fire some evenings from my home. Point being, don't sweat any of the locations you have mentioned.

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 07-18-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 AM

9 posts, read 18,523 times
Congrats on your move, from a fellow Detroiter. People leaving is a part of life...I'm just glad when they move to kickass places like San Diego, where I happen to spend as much time as I can. It's like Detroit -- on Opposite Day.

First off, the most important thing: The beer will make any homesick Michigan beer lover feel right at home -- Green Flash, Stone, etc...so good. Read this if you haven't found it already: San Diego Beer Blog

Secondly: If you prefer to bike + use transit you certainly can, San Diego's system is really bike friendly. Just place yourself in a position that'll make sure you use it as much as you say you want to. North Park is my favorite of the areas you are considering, but it might be a little quiet for someone in their early 20s. That said, the bars and restaurants there will be pretty familiar to you; from your earlier post I am guessing you live in or near Ferndale; it's a similar scene to what you find around 9 Mile / Woodward, but much more extensive. Similar crowd, too.

Downtown may be better for someone younger, but I find it lacking in sense of place, and more the domain of tourists and conventioneers. Rather than Downtown/Gaslamp proper, maybe consider Little Italy or Golden Hill, two very different areas with their own unique identities, but both just minutes on bike from all the downtown amenities and the Coaster depot and close enough to trolleys, too.

What did I miss? Any other questions, feel free. Otherwise, good luck.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
agree with fabulous about downtown (areas as in gaslamp, marina and east village) not having as much character as other areas. Little Italy -which is actually a DT neighborhood would be great for a younger person. It would be easy to take your bike to the coaster, or if you drove to jump on 5. I love Golden Hill but I would need to really go over the neighborhood with a fine tooth comb as parts can be seedy. This would be hard from someone just relocating to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego