Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM

490 posts, read 1,553,199 times

Advertisements

The homeless situation in San Diego has gotten, IMO, completely insane. I have been really embarrassed this summer when friends/ family visited, making excuses for all the filthy, foul-mouthed, trash-digging people they had to look at everywhere we went! I'm preparing a speech for the city council, so I'd appreciate feedback from you fellow Sandiegans on what you are seeing regarding this. Much Thanx !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 PM

840 posts, read 6,508,452 times
So I take it you went to downtown and noticed all the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks for blocks and blocks?

It's really nothing new in San Diego. Homeless people find their way to suburbs as well. They make makeshift homes in the canyons. The worst I saw was in downtown like I said earlier.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Actually Imperial1904, though the Gaslamp is getting really bad, we saw many @ Mission Beach, the gliderport (living in the parking lot), embarcadero (around the Midway), entrance to Fashion Valley ( 6 of 'em, no shoes!), Hillcrest, (over 20 on a three block walk)- - - absolutely nauseating I've lived here for 23 years, it's never been like this IMO . Thanks for your reply .

Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 PM

13 posts, read 84,938 times
I think OB is one of the worst areas too. I've seen bums taking craps next to the dumpster in my alley, pissing on the sidewalk during the middle of the day, constantly ripping through my trash can looking for cans. When I walk down Abbot St it reaks of **** every two blocks. I wish we could gather them all up and drop them off on an island somewhere

Old 08-09-2007, 06:47 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,674,579 times
I was surprised to see so many in the Gaslamp when I visited last month!! The Gaslamp was cleaned up for a while...looks like it's slipping again. I have to say...if I was a homeless person though...San Diego is where I'd be!! You can sleep outside all year round!!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,716,049 times
Yeah, I gotta agree with everyone here. There seems to be more transients around a larger part of the city. I'm sure it has to do with downtown's rapid gentrification.

Still though, it's NOTHING compared to the number panhandlers you see in San Francisco.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,564,021 times
Yeah,I have met people from all over the nation and they say the same thing.It's bad.It's funny because I bet tourist might be shocked to see how many homeless people they see in "America's Finest City".

Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 AM

thanx for your reply jksouthbay88. When you said you've talked to people from all over, do you mean they notice homeless in their own cities, or in SD when they visit?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:57 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,564,021 times
A little of both.I have friends,relatives and just random people that ask; "What is it with all the homeless in the county?"I guess you can say the really notice it here in SD.I take the trolley thru DTWN and there might be about 50-100 just on Park Blvd up to Brodway.That's just one street.Also both the beach cities(MB/PB) have a great number of homeless as well as the Midway District in and out of the iPayOne Center.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:28 AM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,485 times
no doubt, with astronomical housing prices and gentrification, more and more folks are becoming homeless, not to mention those already homeless for years. Yep, they're all over the place, from ESD to North Park to Downtown to PB, albeit less as you get to La Jolla and further north. I understand people are down on their luck, but getting asked for spare change constantly does get quite annoying, especially when you're in a hurry going into a store to buy groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego