U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 15,322 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your advice! We are steering clear of anything suburban. I agree that the culture shock would be too great. We're already welcoming our first baby and changing continents so whatever semblance of continuity I can manage to have, I will take wholeheartedly. Also, my husband likes having some surrounding action and I really just want to walk on a daily basis to get to stores and the beach. We will have an agent and a temporary home once we get there and I'll be using these recommendations when visits to potential neighbourhoods are organised. So, thank you once again

Here is the list:
Kensington (this looks really far from the beach..are there parks??)
Talmadge (diddo)
La Jolla Village (seems like the best in location but I'm gathering the people there may not be that cool...)
Mission Hills (the park seems nice but its too bad its far from the beach)
South Park (love that it is close to Balboa park)
Hillcrest (seems interesting...don't have enough info but looks like I'd get good healthy food there without having to car pool).

What about Mission Beach and Bird Rock??? What are those places like?

By the way, Coronado sounds nice I just rather start off on the mainland..
Hope you're all well!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,137,750 times
I think Mission Beach is kind of seedy and you won't find a large new mommy peer group. Bird Rock is awesome and walkable, but not as much character as say, South Park. Hillcrest and Mission Hills are have very easy access to farm markets (they each have one a certain day of the week), or Whole Foods- a pricey chain with healthy foods. I do not know if Bird Rock would have many new moms.
As far as young progressive moms I think South Park and Mission Hills are great...and maybe La Jolla Village-but again it is very wealthy and not sure what to expect. South Park is more diverse culturally and economically than some of the others mentioned . We went to dinner last sunday night, sat out side and watched the people go by-many parents pushing a stoller, including same sex couples, some artsy looking people, some transient folks, some yuppies...you get the picture. Street wide it is kind of hit or miss so if you went this route you would want to see what you renting and visit and different times of day to make sure you would be comfortable.

Mission Hills as mentioned will have lots of educated people from all over the world, but it is also wealthier and less eclectic.
Much of the housing in Mission Hills and South park is oozing with charm-1920's bungalows and such.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego