Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 822 times

Advertisements

I lost a lawsuit to one of my former workers. He will soon be trying to levy my buisness bank accounts. I have already opened new ones but should I close the account he knows about or or keep them open with small amounts to try and throw him off the trail? Also my buisness is a corporation so I asume he has no rights to my personal accounts, correct? he has callled my personal bank told them he was me and asked for the ballance of my accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:34 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Was the lawsuit addressed to you personally or to your business?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark stevens View Post
I lost a lawsuit to one of my former workers. He will soon be trying to levy my buisness bank accounts. I have already opened new ones but should I close the account he knows about or or keep them open with small amounts to try and throw him off the trail?
I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that either option will end up costing more than if you stop playing games and pay up what you owe.

Quote:
Also my buisness is a corporation so I asume he has no rights to my personal accounts, correct? he has callled my personal bank told them he was me and asked for the ballance of my accounts.
Not necessarily. See here: A California Corporation Provides Asset Protection, But It Can Be Lost - Piercing the Corporate Veil

He may also be able to challenge transfers from corporation accounts into personal accounts.

Next time around, form an LLC instead of a corporation.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Yeah, I'm also curious to know if the lawsuit was addressed to you personally or towards the corporation?

I agree with the other poster that mentioned you should have set up an LLC. I've set up several LLC's and they are really great if you set them up properly, don't "Pierce the veil" and keep things separate. They can be very powerful if well utilized.

It sounds like you should be talking to an attorney and you don't have one (it might be why you lost your case). I'd recommend talking to an attorney about this.

Also, if you lost the lawsuit, I'd recommend doing the honorable thing and paying him what you owe him. No need to "throw him off the trail". You lost and you need to pay up. Do the ethical thing. At this point it doesn't matter who was right and who was wrong.....you lost and are ordered to pay him. Don't make the situation worse by not paying. You could incur more legal bills and court costs or worse by not paying. Or worse, have a lien put on your car, property, etc. If you can't afford to pay all of it, work out a payment plan with him. JMHO.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego