Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM

19 posts, read 46,524 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I will be vacationing for the first time in San Diego. We are rewards members with Holiday Inn. Looking for recommendations where to stay near water, and we will be going to the Zoo, but would like a place where we could walk to things to see and do, and also any recommendations for seafood? If we do not stay at a Holiday Inn I did see a place that looks nice on Coronado Island called Glorietta Bay Inn any thoughts on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffyman View Post
Hi all, my wife and I will be vacationing for the first time in San Diego. We are rewards members with Holiday Inn. Looking for recommendations where to stay near water, and we will be going to the Zoo, but would like a place where we could walk to things to see and do, and also any recommendations for seafood? If we do not stay at a Holiday Inn I did see a place that looks nice on Coronado Island called Glorietta Bay Inn any thoughts on it?
If you google "holiday inn san diego" the first thing that comes up is Holiday Inn on the Bay. Right on the water, walk to downtown/little Italy... You could get to the zoo without a car from there but with one it would be easier.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Yes, Jenkay is spot on.

To the OP, keep in mind, there is a string of Holliday Inns near the downtown that jot along the bay area.
Just remember which one you are staying in (if that is what you choose). I had a family member stay in one once and wound up trying to check into the wrong one.
It turned the two hotels were literally a mile or two apart and had similar names.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
for seafood, the oceanaire in the gaslamp quarter is really good. best scallops i've ever had. others i know loved the crab legs, but i'm not a crab guy myself so i can't comment there.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,788 times
We too are visiting SD in the near future. We've been told that even if there are places that aren't in walking distance, there is a good transit system. Here's a link to their website. Fares and Day Passes

Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
We too are visiting SD in the near future. We've been told that even if there are places that aren't in walking distance, there is a good transit system. Here's a link to their website. Fares and Day Passes
Depends on where you're staying and where you want to go.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffyman View Post
SD is a tough place to vacation w/o a car-b/c you would miss so much...it's very spread out, and downtown SD is by far not 'the' place to be...unlike other cities where you want to be downtown.

But a hotel on the bay is a good central choice, as mentioned by others....
Coronado is beautiful, but i'd rather make a day trip there. [go to the Hotel Del Coronado historic and on the beach-have a drink or lunch, etc]

Also, visit torrey pines state beach and Del Mar is a beautiful small beach community to have waterfront/view dining, or happy hour,etc

And, I personally love Solana Beach (Cedros Design District) and Encinitas (Moonlight Beach/101 district) coastal communities....Great walking/shops/restaurants and of course right on the ocean.

Little Italy is nice, and yes, the zoo and balboa park are must sees.

Historic Old Town can be a cool stop, as well.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Depends on where you're staying and where you want to go.
The transit system in SD is not great at all!
Unless you are in central urban, which is nowhere near the beaches, it's tough.

and if you want to spend your vacation downtown with clubs and a hardrock cafe, be my guest(:
but downtown SD is nothing like SFO, NYC, Boston, etc.
Meaning it has some activity, but is not 'the center' of anything in SD, at all!
trust me on this-it was just gentrified not that long ago-
Little Italy and Seaport village are nice and near downtown, but if you want to see many other beautiful sites of SD-such as the Zoo/Balboa Park, the beaches, upscale beach communities, etc, it will be tough at best with public transit.

I have lived in SD w/o a car, but I would not do it again [i have lived in sd for a total of 10 yrs] by choice. And for a vacation-i would def. have a car.
Oops-i just realized-i thought i was replying to the person who said they looked up transit fares and would be vacationing without a car. i'm not sure who told them it would be 'easy' to do-but no, it is not!

Last edited by lrmsd; 07-22-2011 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
The transit system in SD is not great at all!
Unless you are in central urban, which is nowhere near the beaches, it's tough.

and if you want to spend your vacation downtown with clubs and a hardrock cafe, be my guest(:
but downtown SD is nothing like SFO, NYC, Boston, etc.
Meaning it has some activity, but is not 'the center' of anything in SD, at all!
trust me on this-it was just gentrified not that long ago-
Little Italy and Seaport village are nice and near downtown, but if you want to see many other beautiful sites of SD-such as the Zoo/Balboa Park, the beaches, upscale beach communities, etc, it will be tough at best with public transit.

I have lived in SD w/o a car, but I would not do it again [i have lived in sd for a total of 10 yrs] by choice. And for a vacation-i would def. have a car.
Oops-i just realized-i thought i was replying to the person who said they looked up transit fares and would be vacationing without a car. i'm not sure who told them it would be 'easy' to do-but no, it is not!
Again, depends on where they're staying and where they want to go. If they're staying downtown, they can get to the zoo and balboa park quite easily, as well as food & entertainment in Hillcrest and North Park. They can also take the train up to the beach communities up north, or hop a trolley and go explore Tijuana to the South or go antiquing in La Mesa village to the East... If they're staying in Mission Valley or someplace else, it's more difficult.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
There is a bus route from downtown that goes out to Coronado-right to the Del Coronado. Then of course there is the Ferry, but that goes to the bayside. There are bike rental available to ride around the island. While it is true that it is easier to get around by car there is a lot of good stuff central that has been mentioned (Balboa Park, downtown, interesting neighborhoods like Hillcrest and North Park). Maybe you can compromise and rent a car for one day. If that was the case I would use it to go to La Jolla village and cove (and have a drink on Georges roof), and then a drive up the coast. I think I almost cried then I saw the sweeping ocean views for the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego