Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:37 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,549 times

Advertisements

Just wandering if anyone has had any regrets about moving to SD? What sort of things do you miss, that SD doesn't have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
I came to San Diego to see my daughter from Alaska. I typically don't like California except for San Francisco. Here are the good things about SD IMO.

1- Weather is the best I have seen anywhere.
2- Freeway system is simply excellent (except the 78)
3- Beaches are lovely.
4- Shopping is plentiful

The cons

1- Pricey.
2- There is a "me" attitude.
3- Lack of truly fresh fish in markets
4- It can be boring

If you want an adventure, go to Alaska. If you want a pleasant lifestyle come to San Diego. That is my .02. No regrets.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Just wandering if anyone has had any regrets about moving to SD? What sort of things do you miss, that SD doesn't have?
Nope no regrets. I have lived in many cities in the world and have been here in San Diego for the past 7. After long travels, its one of the only places that I truly just love coming back to.

SD just like anywhere else, once you get a beat on things and are willing to hunt and be resourceful whether its for cultural activities, food, housing etc, can be extremely rewarding.
However, its not all plug and play. Plug and play here comes at a cost, a high cost. There are still a lot of raw, diamond in the rough nuggets to find here. When and if that ever gets tapped, we will be in our 10th year of being like LA (overdeveloped sprawl).

What do I miss? Nothing that I cant get on a plane and fly to see but I do miss just hanging out to hang out in cafes till the wee hours of the morning. Where hanging out past midnight is not just for kids in their 20s but its a social affair that even older folks do. Tipping is not borderline mandatory.
A cafe here is a place you bring your laptop for the free wifi and get a coffee in a paper cup in a strip mall and then are off to do something else

Nothing is set in stone but for now where I am in my life it has the right balance of everything. IN the US, I am considering Northern Idaho otherwise probably to Paris or Barcelona.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-31-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,917 times
I moved here from Phoenix AZ when I was in my 20's. Absolutely no regrets. No comparison between the two cities for me. I later moved to Santa Barbara briefly and then Sacramento for 12 years. Now I am back in San Diego. No regrets but I do miss the smallness of Sacramento. All my favorite galleries, art theaters, restaurants and clubs were within less than 5 miles of my house. I loved the tree lined streets and the older homes. (Suburban Sacramento had no charms for me and I lived in the heart of the city in a 1929 house). I love being back in this climate, nearer the ocean, Balboa Park, lovely symphony hall etc. Most places I want to go now are less than 10 miles from my house but the traffic is more intense and the parking more difficult. None-the-less, worth it to be "home" again. Now I live in a mid-century modern home down in the city.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,911 times
I have absolutely none, especially since I have a job now (haven't started yet-but knowing its coming makes a big difference). My spouse was a lot more gung ho about this move than I was. Yes, of course I liked SD to visit...but to live? I was not so sure about that. I would NOT have thought it was worth it if we ruined our finances to be here. We do not carry any debt except a mortgage (out of state), and don't want to hit retirement with nothing. I don't care how gorgeous the weather is, we need to be able to save and contribute to retirement funds.

I don't have a lot of serious complaints. I guess it would be nicer of things were not so spread out. I wish the library system was better. Cleveland's (a smaller city) library system blew this one out of the water. For a city of so many transplants, it is odd that it is a "who you know" situation when it comes to employment-very old school. In their defense, I guess they get tired of hiring "I just want to live near the beach" flakes that can't afford to stay and quit.

I wish Europe was closer. On the flip side Hawaii is.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:52 AM

I too for whatever reason enjoyed Sactown a great deal. Warm and central to SF and Tahoe but the tree lined streets and cafes were great. I left due to the crime there. San Diego (we are in Poway) has a blend of nice and nicer. Some of the cultural activities rival many larger cities. Balboa Park is superior and a great place to chill anytime of the day. Major sports teams, (Go Giants) are also a plus here. It is more easy to get around this city and quickly than many.

While L.A. and is closer I dread every time I have to drive north of San Clemente. SD has a low key sophistication. Reminds me of SF but much more
conservative which for me is a down side.

If I wanted to be somewhere else it would be just south of Denali having breakfast in Talkeetna Alaska and watching the snow fall.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 AM

110 posts, read 376,938 times
My wife is having myself and our two young children move from San Francisco where I have lived for 23 years to San Diego. She is a PB native and her mom has become very ill and she wants to be down there with her. We have rented a condo in Bird Rock but have not moved in yet because it is taking us longer than we thought to get our house ready to rent. I am somewhat familiar with San Diego as I have been down there many times to visit in-laws and at this point, I do not think I will have too many regrets about moving there.

I planned on staying in SF and raising my kids here. However, when my wife announced that we were moving to San Diego, I thought about it for a few minutes and then said, "OK, let's go." My lack of resistance comes from my sense that SF is not the same place it was when I moved here in 1987 to attend school. Back then, the hyper competitive, self-entitled, uptight yuppie population was largely confined to the Marina District. Today, they live in every neighborhood in SF and have taken over the city. Not a positive development for an old skate punk like me. Grant it, these yuppies exist in just about every city, but SF tech yuppies are of a particularly nasty breed. I would even call them vicious in their pursuits, the extreme opposite of what you might call "laid back"

Here are a few things I am looking forward to in San Diego.

-Not paying for private schools
-Being able to park without driving around for a half hour
-Walking to the beach with my kids in August and not having to put them in jackets and mittens.
-Exploring the desert, LA and Mexico
-Meeting a lot of easy going people who couldn't give a rat's ass about parallel computing, hedge funds, RAID arrays or mobile application development.
-Surfing

Old 07-31-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
My wife is having myself and our two young children move from San Francisco where I have lived for 23 years to San Diego. She is a PB native and her mom has become very ill and she wants to be down there with her. We have rented a condo in Bird Rock but have not moved in yet because it is taking us longer than we thought to get our house ready to rent. I am somewhat familiar with San Diego as I have been down there many times to visit in-laws and at this point, I do not think I will have too many regrets about moving there.

I planned on staying in SF and raising my kids here. However, when my wife announced that we were moving to San Diego, I thought about it for a few minutes and then said, "OK, let's go." My lack of resistance comes from my sense that SF is not the same place it was when I moved here in 1987 to attend school. Back then, the hyper competitive, self-entitled, uptight yuppie population was largely confined to the Marina District. Today, they live in every neighborhood in SF and have taken over the city. Not a positive development for an old skate punk like me. Grant it, these yuppies exist in just about every city, but SF tech yuppies are of a particularly nasty breed. I would even call them vicious in their pursuits, the extreme opposite of what you might call "laid back"

Here are a few things I am looking forward to in San Diego.

-Not paying for private schools
-Being able to park without driving around for a half hour
-Walking to the beach with my kids in August and not having to put them in jackets and mittens.
-Exploring the desert, LA and Mexico
-Meeting a lot of easy going people who couldn't give a rat's ass about parallel computing, hedge funds, RAID arrays or mobile application development.
-Surfing

nice.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,978 times
Been here all my life(23 years)Been wanting out for the last four or 5 years and I might be relocating to Southern Nevada in Oct.Pretty excited;but it;s only about a 60% chance as of now.

The two things I'm going to miss the most?The food and maybe the Chargers/Padres.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 PM

52 posts, read 100,638 times
I moved here for a job. Do I regret it? No. I came out here with corporate housing all lined up in Mission Valley so I was rent free for 2 months. The location was nice and central and everything that I needed was around. I don't believe in regrets. I just believe in bad decisions. Coming out here was NOT a bad decision. I am by no means, struggling to survive. Is this place my ideal location? No. Hell no. San Diego = not my place of choice to live. That being said, I enjoy the area.

Where would I rather be? Home. New England is where I was born and raised but, the lovely North East will have to wait a while so I can get my feet wet in the professional world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego