Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 04:33 PM

36 posts, read 101,736 times

Advertisements

Hi,

The company that my husband works for has asked him if he is interested in moving to San Diego. We've been planning for 2 years to move but, to Hawaii. We nearly moved this spring. To read about that nightmare, see my posts in the Hawaii forum. My husband considers this position with his current company to be an excellent opportunity. Maybe Hawaii just wasn't meant to be.

My husband visited SD often as a child and has great memories of it. He loved it there! I've never been to SD. When I got a SD county map I was surprised how huge it is!

A little about where we're from. We currently live in a rural area (by California standards), closest grocery store is 20 minutes away, my husband commutes 45 minutes each way to work. The children's school is 50 minutes away, fortunately they only attend classes once a week and I home school the rest of the time. We love our home but, are ready for a change. All of us are excited about moving!

What we would like in a new community and home is:

Close proximity to the Beach
My children's 2nd request, besides the beach was...sidewalks. Very important when you skateboard!
Small town feel with a diverse population
3B/2B in preferably older established neighborhood
Friendly people! An affluent or perceived wealth community doesn't interest us.

Would any of you mind suggesting some areas for us to check out when we visit in December?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,252,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUpS View Post
Hi,

The company that my husband works for has asked him if he is interested in moving to San Diego. We've been planning for 2 years to move but, to Hawaii. We nearly moved this spring. To read about that nightmare, see my posts in the Hawaii forum. My husband considers this position with his current company to be an excellent opportunity. Maybe Hawaii just wasn't meant to be.

My husband visited SD often as a child and has great memories of it. He loved it there! I've never been to SD. When I got a SD county map I was surprised how huge it is!

A little about where we're from. We currently live in a rural area (by California standards), closest grocery store is 20 minutes away, my husband commutes 45 minutes each way to work. The children's school is 50 minutes away, fortunately they only attend classes once a week and I home school the rest of the time. We love our home but, are ready for a change. All of us are excited about moving!

What we would like in a new community and home is:

Close proximity to the Beach
My children's 2nd request, besides the beach was...sidewalks. Very important when you skateboard!
Small town feel with a diverse population
3B/2B in preferably older established neighborhood
Friendly people! An affluent or perceived wealth community doesn't interest us.

Would any of you mind suggesting some areas for us to check out when we visit in December?
Thank you!
How fun!

Lots of choices out there and your list is great. One question though. Renting or buying? What is the budget. Where will the office or workplace be?
These factors are crucial in narrowing it down online.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Our thoughts are to stick to what we were planning on doing in Hawaii. Rent for 3-6 months, then buy. A townhome or condo 2b/2b. $1400-$1800. I know that may sound low but, we didn't want to throw away too much money on renting. We want to make sure that we are happy in our new home before committing to buy. My husband will have his choice from a list of areas for his office. Though I'm sure we couldn't afford to live in some of them. Once we know where we want to live, he can chose the office site. I should have added that to my original post We are so looking forward to a shorter commute!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,333,522 times
what are the office choices? Depending on that they are you might be able to be just fine with your budget. If you listed the options, I am thinking people could really chime in meaningfully.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM

We checked out the office choices.
North of the city
Downtown San Diego
South of the city
South East of the city (Chula Vista)

The downtown building was beautiful and would be the most central location for him. Since he's hoping to cut his commute time, we need to figure out how long it takes to get into the city from the outlying communities.

Thank you for the replies. They're appreciated!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 AM

32 posts, read 64,991 times
Default Help us choose a new community!

How exciting for your family! San Diego is a great city. I'm a native and I would never leave. You're right, this city is HUGE. However, it doesn't feel that way when you're in it. San Diego is made up of neighborhoods, so you never really feel like you're in a big city. Also, you can get just about anywhere (minus rush hour traffic) in 15-20 minutes with the freeways.

The areas you mentioned as your office choices are vague. You basically described the entire city in chunks. But, that's okay. I have a couple of areas to suggest you consider. Clairemont (92117 & parts of 92111) and Serra Mesa (92123) are family-centric and central to just about anywhere you want to get in the city. It is mostly flat and there are sidewalks for the kids to skateboard on. Since it is an older neighborhood you don't have HOA's (home owner associations) to deal with which might not allow your kids to play freely. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend a condo. Also, in Clairemont there are cul-de-sac streets scattered throughout that would make it safer to play outside with less traffic.

You can rent a place in Clairemont for between $1200-2000 easily and Serra Mesa is comprable.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Hi,

Your suggestion of Clairemont and Serra Mesa was very helpful. I found a townhome on Ruffin Rd for $1200 and a single family 3/bed for $1800. I feel like atleast I have something to start with now. Thank you! It was just so overwhelming looking at the map, seeing all the different communities and knowing nothing about any of them! Also, you're correct about the condo; it just wouldn't work with the kids. A townhome may be OK temporarily.

I was purposely vague with the office areas because my husband doesn't mind a short commute. I was hoping someone would post a suggestion like you did. Thanks again!

Anyone else have suggestions? What is your favorite neighborhood within each of the city chunks I described?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 PM

32 posts, read 64,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUpS View Post
Hi,

Your suggestion of Clairemont and Serra Mesa was very helpful. I found a townhome on Ruffin Rd for $1200 and a single family 3/bed for $1800. I feel like atleast I have something to start with now. Thank you! It was just so overwhelming looking at the map, seeing all the different communities and knowing nothing about any of them! Also, you're correct about the condo; it just wouldn't work with the kids. A townhome may be OK temporarily.

I was purposely vague with the office areas because my husband doesn't mind a short commute. I was hoping someone would post a suggestion like you did. Thanks again!

Anyone else have suggestions? What is your favorite neighborhood within each of the city chunks I described?
You are so welcome! I'm glad my recommendation was helpful.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,978,522 times
Don't make the mistake of basing your decision of where to move because it is "close to the beach". A lot of non-natives seem make that their deciding factor. In reality, most of San Diego county, west of I-15, is close to the beach (within 15-20 minutes). You'll pay a ridiculous premium to live within walking distance of the beach, which in my opinion, is not worth it.

Also, you'll want to stick to one of the older communities (Clairemont Mesa, Mira Mesa, Sera Mesa, etc) if you don't want a "perceived wealth community", as all of the newer real estate is touted as "luxury apartment homes" or "resort style living", which if you chose, you'll end up seeing right through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego