Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 46,629 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to be moving to San Diego in the next couple months and wanted to get some advice from people on where to live. I was out there earlier this year and really liked Hillcrest. As of now that's where I'm thinking of going but I know North and South park are there as well as other neighborhoods like University Heights, etc. Figured I would kind of say what I'm looking for and get some advice. I'm interviewing for jobs now and while I wanted to be at the UCSD hospital in Hillcrest, it looks like the main job I want is at Thornton in La Jolla. From the way the manager is talking, I should be getting an answer in a couple days and he made it seem apparent that I'll be hired.

So, here goes. I'm 28 and single. The things that are most important to me in an area would be good live music (preferably indie/punk/rock in general), bars and restaurants within walking/biking distance, lots of galleries and art around, a grocery store, and a generally younger/hipper crowd. Here in Richmond I have a car but probably use it once a month to get large grocery orders, otherwise I use my bike or feet for all transportation. Our public transportation is terrible so if I could be near a bus line, that would be ideal. I'd like more mom and pop type places rather than chains and I'm not the type to do a lot of mall shopping. I'm just trying to find somewhere that's more like a neighborhood than sprawl with parks, festivals, interesting people and events going on regularly. I'll basically not know anyone save 2 or 3 acquaintances so being somewhere lively and active is priority number one.

As for living arrangements, and I know this will probably be impossible, but I would absolutely kill for a one or two bedroom place that was detached, like a little house or cottage. I'm not interested in living in a large apartment skyscraper but a small complex would be ok if necessary. I'd really prefer something more like a house and also like it to be dog friendly if possible. I don't have one now but I'd like to once I get settled. I'm just posting this in case one area has more houses or cottages compared to another.

Another thing that would be really helpful would be finding a place or complex that would go month to month lease, not necessarily in one of those areas, so that I could take my time and find a place I really like. So if anyone knows about somewhere that does that, I would really appreciate it.

Another thing I wanted to ask was about my commute. I used the interstates when I was there but it was never around the times I'll be commuting. My shifts will start at 0630 or so and Thornton is accessible right off the 805. So I'd be taking 805N in the mornings and google maps says the trip is like 11-13 miles. Should I run into any traffic that early? Could I easily make the trip leaving at 0600? Those were just the directions I got using a random address in the Hillcrest area, not sure if there's a smarter way. Unfortunately biking to work seems to be out of the question unless I find a better job at the Hillcrest location.

Sorry for the abundance of questions right off the bat but it's time to really get down to business. The manager said he wants me out there preferably Sept. 20th but I could possibly do 2 weeks after so it's all going quite fast. Thanks for the help and I hope to be there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
I don't know about apartments that do month-to-month leases, but there are some hotels/motels that will negotiate a monthly rate for you. My sister and nephew stayed in one for a few months, but it was in Mission Valley so that's not very helpful to you.

Small detached houses like you describe do exist, mostly in the central neighborhoods. I have no idea what their cost/availability is.

At 6:30 AM going north on 805 I don't think you'll have much problem with traffic.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC4130 View Post

So, here goes. I'm 28 and single. The things that are most important to me in an area would be good live music (preferably indie/punk/rock in general), bars and restaurants within walking/biking distance, lots of galleries and art around, a grocery store, and a generally younger/hipper crowd. Here in Richmond I have a car but probably use it once a month to get large grocery orders, otherwise I use my bike or feet for all transportation. Our public transportation is terrible so if I could be near a bus line, that would be ideal. I'd like more mom and pop type places rather than chains and I'm not the type to do a lot of mall shopping. I'm just trying to find somewhere that's more like a neighborhood than sprawl with parks, festivals, interesting people and events going on regularly. I'll basically not know anyone save 2 or 3 acquaintances so being somewhere lively and active is priority number one..
You'll want North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, South Park.. The indie/pink venues are clustered in North Park, mainly. (If you're gonna be around labor day weekend check out Awesomefest in North Park.) Lots of stuff going on, no chain stores (except for groceries), Good food (from hole-in-the-wall ethnic to pricey-casual) bus lines close by..

Quote:
As for living arrangements, and I know this will probably be impossible, but I would absolutely kill for a one or two bedroom place that was detached, like a little house or cottage. I'm not interested in living in a large apartment skyscraper but a small complex would be ok if necessary. I'd really prefer something more like a house and also like it to be dog friendly if possible. I don't have one now but I'd like to once I get settled. I'm just posting this in case one area has more houses or cottages compared to another..
There are lots of those in the areas I mentioned, mostly housing stock from the 1920s-40s. It would help if we knew your rental budget.

Quote:
Another thing that would be really helpful would be finding a place or complex that would go month to month lease, not necessarily in one of those areas, so that I could take my time and find a place I really like. So if anyone knows about somewhere that does that, I would really appreciate it.
You'll have to find a place that's being run by a private owner. There are quite a few, really. I don't think in all my years of renting here I've ever been on a lease. My landlord has places that are probably what you're looking for (except for the dog part), but they're quite small one-bedrooms suitable for one person and maybe a cat.

Quote:
Another thing I wanted to ask was about my commute. I used the interstates when I was there but it was never around the times I'll be commuting. My shifts will start at 0630 or so and Thornton is accessible right off the 805. So I'd be taking 805N in the mornings and google maps says the trip is like 11-13 miles. Should I run into any traffic that early? Could I easily make the trip leaving at 0600? Those were just the directions I got using a random address in the Hillcrest area, not sure if there's a smarter way. Unfortunately biking to work seems to be out of the question unless I find a better job at the Hillcrest location...
At that time of the morning, you'll be fine. I assume you'll be getting off work at like 3-3:30? It can get a little crunchy going South in the afternoon, but as long as you're leaving work by, say, 4:00 you should be fine.

Quote:
Sorry for the abundance of questions right off the bat but it's time to really get down to business. The manager said he wants me out there preferably Sept. 20th but I could possibly do 2 weeks after so it's all going quite fast. Thanks for the help and I hope to be there soon.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I would add on 15 minutes each way just to be safe as far as time...otherwise you might be cutting it close and probably don't want to be late. You never know with the 805

Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
You'll want North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, South Park.. The indie/pink venues are clustered in North Park, mainly. (If you're gonna be around labor day weekend check out Awesomefest in North Park.) Lots of stuff going on, no chain stores (except for groceries), Good food (from hole-in-the-wall ethnic to pricey-casual) bus lines close by..

There are lots of those in the areas I mentioned, mostly housing stock from the 1920s-40s. It would help if we knew your rental budget.

You'll have to find a place that's being run by a private owner. There are quite a few, really. I don't think in all my years of renting here I've ever been on a lease. My landlord has places that are probably what you're looking for (except for the dog part), but they're quite small one-bedrooms suitable for one person and maybe a cat.

At that time of the morning, you'll be fine. I assume you'll be getting off work at like 3-3:30? It can get a little crunchy going South in the afternoon, but as long as you're leaving work by, say, 4:00 you should be fine.
Thanks so much for the info. If I'm reading correctly you're saying that your landlord would have some places they might be willing to go month to month on? Or they're just one bedroom detached? Like I said, I don't have a dog now but I would like to get one in the future. As for my rental budget, I'm not entirely sure. I think my absolute max would be about 1,500 but I don't want to pay nearly that if I can help it. I'd much rather live in a small place with extra money for fun. I was hoping to keep it as close to 1,000 as I can but I know that's probably impossible for what I'm asking.

As for work, it will be 12 hour shifts so I'll actually get off around 730pm but that can usually drift closer to 8pm. How will traffic be coming south then?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:

Thanks so much for the info. If I'm reading correctly you're saying that your landlord would have some places they might be willing to go month to month on? Or they're just one bedroom detached? Like I said, I don't have a dog now but I would like to get one in the future. As for my rental budget, I'm not entirely sure. I think my absolute max would be about 1,500 but I don't want to pay nearly that if I can help it. I'd much rather live in a small place with extra money for fun. I was hoping to keep it as close to 1,000 as I can but I know that's probably impossible for what I'm asking.

As for work, it will be 12 hour shifts so I'll actually get off around 730pm but that can usually drift closer to 8pm. How will traffic be coming south then?
Jenkay gave some outstanding info for you. As far as the commute back, should be very clear. Our traffic in San Diego runs 7ish to 9am and 4-7ish pm.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:

*if* he were to have anything open when you're moving it would either be a small detached cottage or a 1-bedroom in a 4-plex... But it would be the one at the front so you'd only share 1 wall. It's tough, because people just don't move from these places because they're so rad.

There's plenty of folks on craigslist that are renting out their places themselves also.

A one-bedroom in the aforementioned neighborhoods will run you anywhere from $800-850 to $1200-$1300, depending on how new it is, how big it is, and how many amenities it has. Example: Mine's 525 sf, no garbage disposal etc but with laundry onsite, built in 1920, wood floors, built-ins and neat details like you only get in the older places, for $825.

And if you're leaving work that late you'll be fine, traffic's over by then.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks again. I've been checking craigslist but mostly just in Hillcrest. Hopefully if I broaden my search to those other areas I'll get some better results. All I seem to get is cookie cutter apartments that show views of the complex pool and exterior.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
California Cottages -

These are complexes of 6 to 10 cottages clustered around a central court. Sometimes there is an apartment unit in the back with 4 - 6 more units. They were primarily built between 1920 to 1940.

The largest collection of them are in the North Park/South Park area along 30th Street. They can also be found elsewhere in North Park, University Heights, and Normal Heights, and a few other locations.

Unfortunately, from your perspective many of them were condo-ized in the 2000s and are no longer rentals. On the plus side, they have become quite affordable, and many can be purchased in the 150k - 225k range.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Log onto Craigslist, and in the search boxes enter how many bedrooms, your maximum rent, and the word cottage. You'll find lots of one bedroom cottages on there, and you can weed out what you're not interested in.

I rent a 400sqft one bedroom cottage, and badly need more room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego