Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times

Advertisements

What the freak?!?

Today after work I hit La Jolla Shores for a swim, and I come home to read this.....

Stretch of Mission Beach closed after shark sighting | SignOnSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:20 AM

182 posts, read 328,061 times
I'm actually surprised the article says they have only had to close down the beach a couple times in the last 3 years or so, I guarantee they are out there and most people never see them. From Mexico to southern CA Great Whites are very common, especially this time of year through Oct, using the area as nurseries for their young. Plus anytime you have their favorite food source (seals) nearby you can expect them to be around. Watch this amazing video shot by a surfer off San Onofre and shark stats below: California surfer films great white sharks circling his board

Good Shark Stats on Pacific Coast:
Shark Research Committee - Home

Shark Spotting News:
Pacific Coast Shark News

Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The shark grocery store called the children's pool will just keep attracting more of them. When someone gets ate in front of a crowd the City will be in overdrive trying to get rid of them.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Have the day off and was thinking about hitting LJ cove for some snorkeling. Called the dive report line and the visibility is poor, and water temps only 64 so that's off the table....and don't they always say on those Shark Week shows that sharks love murky water?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Have the day off and was thinking about hitting LJ cove for some snorkeling. Called the dive report line and the visibility is poor, and water temps only 64 so that's off the table....and don't they always say on those Shark Week shows that sharks love murky water?
Nom Nom Nom.....scuba divers are EXTRA tasty in murky waters

Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The shark grocery store called the children's pool will just keep attracting more of them. When someone gets ate in front of a crowd the City will be in overdrive trying to get rid of them.
it is my understanding SD has more juvenile sharks so they are not eating seals. This is more of an issue in Northern Ca. I am sure we would be hearing about them feeding at the children's pool if that were occurring. I did read a historical account from the early part of the 1900's where a swimmer in LJ cove was attacked (and eaten) by a large great white in front of scores of horrified tourists.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:
I did read a historical account from the early part of the 1900's where a swimmer in LJ cove was attacked (and eaten) by a large great white in front of scores of horrified tourists.
thats pretty badass

Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I always thought the cove was warmer than the rest of the coast. I was at the Shores yesterday and will be going again today after work, and the water felt great....maybe 70? The best part is that the tourists are gone and finding parking is easy.

I know the sharks are always out there, but it makes it a little nerve wracking to be in the water when one was just spotted this time of the year. Oh well.....outta sight, outta mind, I guess.

What happened 3 years ago, can certainly happen today......

Shark Attack Off San Diego: Man Killed While Swimming At Solana Beac

Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Apparently "Jaws" is still out there: Mission Beach closed after second shark sighting | SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM

^^Didn't hear about that, thanks for posting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego