Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well OC must be doing something right and our housing prices reflect it. Look at the housing prices for Southern California as of October 2014 and get back to me.

Los Angeles $455,000
Orange $595,000
Riverside $294,750
San Bernardino $245,000
San Diego $440,000
Ventura $474,500

Source: Southland home sale report
What does this have to do with my comment about me not caring for OC? I already said it's beautiful, and I think that is the main draw for people to move there. But in comparison to San Diego and especially LA, there's not much to do, and it lacks character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
What does this have to do with my comment about me not caring for OC? I already said it's beautiful, and I think that is the main draw for people to move there. But in comparison to San Diego and especially LA, there's not much to do, and it lacks character.
My cousin who has raised her family in South OC is literally in SD every weekend. They get bored and say there isn't much to do there.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Then why are they always going back to San Diego every weekend?? And they're probably just going to the suburban areas that are most similar to OC.

Although neither city can compare to Los Angeles and the cultural amenities it offers, the general consensus is that San Diego is a more interesting place to visit.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah, I wish L.A. would get rid of the Clippers but unfortuneately how are you going to get rid of Donald Sterling? L.A. is spoiled enough by the Lakers already, besides, I thought L.A. had fairweather fans
I just read this from 2011. LOL

Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Then why are they always going back to San Diego every weekend?? And they're probably just going to the suburban areas that are most similar to OC.

Although neither city can compare to Los Angeles and the cultural amenities it offers, the general consensus is that San Diego is a more interesting place to visit.
They go to central San Diego to go to Chargers games, hang out at the beach, go downtown. SD is close and easy to get around.

Yeah it doesn't compare to LA but there is still plenty to do, and that is expanding. There are cultural events every weekend, plenty to choose from.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
They go to central San Diego to go to Chargers games, hang out at the beach, go downtown. SD is close and easy to get around.

Yeah it doesn't compare to LA but there is still plenty to do, and that is expanding. There are cultural events every weekend, plenty to choose from.
The Chargers play about 10 games a year (including pre-season), so that doesn't really add up. I understand the Downtown bit and some of the other things to do because OC really doesn't have any of that. But the Beaches comment makes little sense. become nothing more than a BS story because OC has San Clemente, dana beach, Newport, Laguna, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, etc. If somebody can't find a beach to go to in OC, they aren't beach people.

Yeah there are people who like to visit various parts of California to surf and have their favorite spots, but they usually talk about the various good places to surf, more than what beaches to just hang out. I enjoy most of the beaches up and down the cost of California and I go up to OC and LA and SB and Big Sur and Santa Cruz and Half Moon bay and so on as often as I can, but I don't need to drive up to any of them every weekend to visit a beach. And if I lived in many of those same places, I really wouldn't need to drive down to SD to visit a beach. Unless I had family or friends who lived at one of those beaches.

I mean if I lived in Huntington Beach or Newport Beach and had no family down in SD what would really be the point for me to drive down to Ocean Beach or PB or La Jolla or Encinitas every weekend ? Kind of makes no sense. And the same would go for me leaving SD to go visit a beach in OC or LA every weekend. Why am I living someplace if I have no desire to even be there? I mean if I lived in Huntington Beach and came down to PB every weekend, it's not really because PB is a better beach pr party beach or there are more things to do.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
When I lived in OC I would go up to LA every other weekend night or come down occasionally to the Gaslamp out of sheer boredom (people would line up and there would be a 30 minute wait to get into a Mexican resto on PCH in Newport Beach by 7PM on Fridays to show you how little excitement there was when I lived there).

The other thing was the snooty, entitled attitude of many people in OC--most often found in the Newport/CDM and surrounding areas..sorry, but I grew up in just as affluent Nassau County on Long Island and lived in Marin County when I first moved out west--if I acted like some of these entitled brats when I grew up I would have had the crap beaten out of me and never made it past the 8th grade. Humility was not a trait I found amongst the professional crowd in OC and was why I would socialize on weekend nights in LA and SD--my job was based in Irvine. Huntington and Laguna Beach were different, as was Fullerton, but there was not that much excitement going on in those places to attract me there every single weekend. Also, when I would try and round up some people to go up to LA I would get a "we prefer to stay here where it is clean and safe" which I took to have racial overtones.

Having now lived for 10 years in downtown SD, I realize there is very little professional presence in the Gaslamp which is why I socialize in LJ, Del Mar, and Encinitas. Whereas I do not encounter snootiness (or as much as OC) I do find myself challenged for excitement, which is why the nightlife in North County reminds me of that in OC--boring.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-25-2014 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 PM

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
The Chargers play about 10 games a year (including pre-season), so that doesn't really add up. I understand the Downtown bit and some of the other things to do because OC really doesn't have any of that. But the Beaches comment makes little sense. become nothing more than a BS story because OC has San Clemente, dana beach, Newport, Laguna, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, etc. If somebody can't find a beach to go to in OC, they aren't beach people.

Yeah there are people who like to visit various parts of California to surf and have their favorite spots, but they usually talk about the various good places to surf, more than what beaches to just hang out. I enjoy most of the beaches up and down the cost of California and I go up to OC and LA and SB and Big Sur and Santa Cruz and Half Moon bay and so on as often as I can, but I don't need to drive up to any of them every weekend to visit a beach. And if I lived in many of those same places, I really wouldn't need to drive down to SD to visit a beach. Unless I had family or friends who lived at one of those beaches.

I mean if I lived in Huntington Beach or Newport Beach and had no family down in SD what would really be the point for me to drive down to Ocean Beach or PB or La Jolla or Encinitas every weekend ? Kind of makes no sense. And the same would go for me leaving SD to go visit a beach in OC or LA every weekend. Why am I living someplace if I have no desire to even be there? I mean if I lived in Huntington Beach and came down to PB every weekend, it's not really because PB is a better beach pr party beach or there are more things to do.
Why do people scrutinize and over-analyze everything on these boards? SD is small- you mean to tell me if a visitor were here for a weekend, and had the opportunity to go to the beach after having participated in other events, they wouldn't just because beaches exist in OC? There's no logic in that. Also, I never said that they never visited OC beaches.

If you purchase a home somewhere and have small children, you can't just get up and leave, disrupting the children's lives. Well you can, but some people choose not to. They are only 1 hr away from SD, I don't see what the big deal is here.

I travel often to OC(was just there this past weekend and will be back again this coming weekend). If I decide to visit Huntington Beach, is that BS just because I always hang out in SD beaches? What a strange sense of reasoning.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
U

Why do people scrutinize and over-analyze everything on these boards? SD is small- you mean to tell me if a visitor were here for a weekend, and had the opportunity to go to the beach after having participated in other events, they wouldn't just because beaches exist in OC? There's no logic in that. Also, I never said that they never visited OC beaches.

If you purchase a home somewhere and have small children, you can't just get up and leave, disrupting the children's lives. Well you can, but some people choose not to. They are only 1 hr away from SD, I don't see what the big deal is here.

I travel often to OC(was just there this past weekend and will be back again this coming weekend). If I decide to visit Huntington Beach, is that BS just because I always hang out in SD beaches? What a strange sense of reasoning.
People visit places all the time, they just don't do it every week or weekend. And people with small children probably aren't driving from HB to PB or Del Mar or Coronado every weekend either. It's not looking into anything, it's common sense to think that somebody who doesn't want to spend any time where they live, doesn't like living there. But the point was people who love the beach and live in OC, don't need to come to SD just to visit a beach.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

I loathe Orange County- nothing but plan developed to an inch of its life, superficial conspicuous consumption. The same population as San Diego county and one fifth the size? Yikes! There is no vibe, no edge, no center- it's sunny Stepford. I drive through there as quickly as possible on my way to totally cool-full of culture, life, history, great distinct neighborhoods and architecture L.A.. We go there at least once a quarter to take in the big city and various events and exhibits at museums as well as pick out a couple of neighborhoods to explore- walking tours of downtown or something.
Wow.....just.....wow......you have not been to much of Orange County, have you? PM me; I'll give you a tour some time.......It's not LA, but not what you're describing, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego