Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 40,595 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I'm a international student who is studying in SanDiego.

I passed paper test in LA, and I live in SD right now. I'm looking for someone can teach me how to drive, but the price is a little higher than I expect. Can someone tell me some driving school is cheapper?

My friend in Michigan can buy a car when he didn't have drive license, so I wonder if it's availabel in CA? If I can, I prefer to pay the money for a car rather than for driving tuition.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,328 times
No, I don't think so. I recently bought a new car and I couldn't add my wife on to the insurance. She had an international driver's license but they wouldn't allow me to add her on until she got a USA driver's license.

Also, she recently ordered a new BMW a few weeks ago and it's coming in a few weeks. They said she couldn't pick it up until she had a Driver's license. There may be ways around this but it didn't sound like it.

The dealerships both said we had to show proof of insurance and both insurance companies we talked to said they wouldn't add her on until she got a USA driver's license so I don't think you can do it.

But she went in and took the driver's license test and easily passed. Then they gave her a temporary license for 2 months but she still has to take the driving test. If you have a driver's license from your home country, go and take the written test and as long as the license is still valid they will give you a temporary one for 2 months. The test is VERY easy and it's the exact same questions as the practice tests online so you can memorize them.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
Yes, I think you can buy a car without a driver's license. You just can't drive it away by yourself, the dealer won't let you. (You need to bring a friend with a valid DL and insurance who would drive it home for you) And you would probably have to pay cash. But how does that help you? You can't teach yourself to drive in your own car, that's illegal. And if you have a friend who's willing to teach you, he can do it in his car.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Oops. I misread your post. I didn't see where you mentioned you took the written test and passed it. Sorry about missing that.

So I assume they gave you a permit to drive along with someone else that is licensed in the car. And then you can take the driving test within 2 months?

I will ask the guy that I bought a car from if it's possible and then post. But I still think it would be next to impossible even if you pay cash. Because as the owner, you'd still have financial responsibility of the car and not sure if an insurance company will allow it. These days they are tough. And definitely I'd never drive a car in California that isn't insured.... if you get caught you will have big problems and also if there is an accident it can totally bankrupt you.

I'll ask my friend and then post back.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,542,629 times
Sure you can!
Illegals do it all the time!
Heck! you can even finance in some places as long as you have a passport.

You can even purchase insurance with a learners permit.
Google or call up some local insurance company's and tell them your situation they may be able to help.
check out Buy Car Insurance Without A Driver's License - Online Auto Insurance

Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Sure you can!
Illegals do it all the time!
Heck! you can even finance in some places as long as you have a passport.

You can even purchase insurance with a learners permit.
Google or call up some local insurance company's and tell them your situation they may be able to help.
check out Buy Car Insurance Without A Driver's License - Online Auto Insurance

Yeah, hitman is right! I just talked to my buddy at the Audi dealership and he said that they CAN sell someone a car without a driver's license and they've sold them to people outside of the US. He said what they can NOT do however is allow someone to drive the car off the lot unless they provide them with a valid license. So the customers can have someone that has a valid driver's license drive the car for them. They just need to sign an authorization that allows the other person to take possession of the car.

So, yeah looks like you can do it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego