Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times

Advertisements

Rancho Penasquitos (neighborhood south of Rancho Bernardo) is older, and so less expensive. It's mostly families, and despite being older it's still a good place to live. And it also is in the Poway School District.

There are commuter buses from North County Inland that go straight downtown - less stressful that driving yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
skeke, do you have a link to this study?

It would be very useful in this sub forum. Many people have questions regarding what it would take to live here, and most of us can only provide anecdotal advice.

I will have to look for it. The annoying thing is I just read a synopsis of the study and now can't remember if it was a hard copy or in the electronic links to government and financial news I am sent each morning at work. If it was in the paper I wish I had kept it instead of recycling.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 22,204 times
Default Thanks All!

Thank you everyone for all the info you have given me, it is greatly appreciated. It is a lot to process. The downside to all this information is from what I am reading the job offer isnt nearly enough money for me to support my kids there.

My kids are older (teens) so I do need babysitting or daycare. When I first starting looking at rent costs there it seemed feasible to me that we could make it but with what I am reading I dont think so now. It looks like I really need to rethink things!

This is a bummer really because I was getting really excited...

Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPEEP View Post
Thank you everyone for all the info you have given me, it is greatly appreciated. It is a lot to process. The downside to all this information is from what I am reading the job offer isnt nearly enough money for me to support my kids there.

My kids are older (teens) so I do need babysitting or daycare. When I first starting looking at rent costs there it seemed feasible to me that we could make it but with what I am reading I dont think so now. It looks like I really need to rethink things!

This is a bummer really because I was getting really excited...

LAPEEP,

You never mentioned the salary so I'm not sure if it's enough or not but again, I think the best way to determine if you can afford it is to put together all your expenses and income. Many people don't do that even for the current city they are living in and when they do, they figure out that they can barely afford the current city they are living in let alone San Diego.

I don't think anyone is telling you not to move out here. Just to take a good honest assessment of your expenses and quality of living.

Definitely if your kids are older and you don't need any babysitting/daycare expense or have no kids in pre-school that will definitely help. But you'll have to look at other expenses with teenagers like sports activities that cost money as well as extracurricular activities, them wanting money to go out, using the car to go out, etc. You know how it all adds up.

Before you discount the idea completely, just put together all your income and expenses and see if it's feasible.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
You might look into what a friend of mine did. Single Parent rents house with other single Parent.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Hi Earlyretirement - I copied your spreadsheet and used that as a basis for expenses, I hope that was ok. The salary is 52K. I know no one is saying dont move there, I think I am just a bit nervous because I dont want to move and then be in a much worse situation than the one I am in now. Being a single parent is not easy and I just dont want to make a mistake. I dont really have any debt except for monthly household and car expenses so that is a plus for me.

Hopefully something will work out, I just have to keep the faith.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPEEP View Post
Hi Earlyretirement - I copied your spreadsheet and used that as a basis for expenses, I hope that was ok. The salary is 52K. I know no one is saying dont move there, I think I am just a bit nervous because I dont want to move and then be in a much worse situation than the one I am in now. Being a single parent is not easy and I just dont want to make a mistake. I dont really have any debt except for monthly household and car expenses so that is a plus for me.

Hopefully something will work out, I just have to keep the faith.
Hi LAPEEP,

Of course it's ok to use the things from my spreadsheet. That's why I posted it. Absolutely I know how nerve racking it can be moving.

I give BIG props to single parents. I'm not sure how you all do it. I look at how much work we have raising two kids with two parents and my wife is a stay at home mom. I can't imagine doing it alone! You single parents out there are amazing! Having kids and doing it right is a LOT of work as you know.

That's GREAT that you have no debt. Do you have much savings or stocking away for retirement? I wouldn't just look at if you can afford to live paycheck to paycheck but also take a good look at if you're able to save money in your 401K, Roth IRA, IRA, etc. Too few people are saving enough for their retirement and only thinking if they have enough to get by each month.

It's shocking the amount of people that are within 10 or 15 years of getting social security that don't have much savings or retirement savings. People waking up 50, 55, 60, 65 and figuring out they have no real savings. So take a look at that as well.

In your spreadsheet when you add up your monthly expenses, what do you come up with?

Last edited by earlyretirement; 10-07-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Hi LAPEEP,

Of course it's ok to use the things from my spreadsheet. That's why I posted it. Absolutely I know how nerve racking it can be moving.

I give BIG props to single parents. I'm not sure how you all do it. I look at how much work we have raising two kids with two parents and my wife is a stay at home mom. I can't imagine doing it alone! You single parents out there are amazing! Having kids and doing it right is a LOT of work as you know.

That's GREAT that you have no debt. Do you have much savings or stocking away for retirement? I wouldn't just look at if you can afford to live paycheck to paycheck but also take a good look at if you're able to save money in your 401K, Roth IRA, IRA, etc. Too few people are saving enough for their retirement and only thinking if they have enough to get by each month.

It's shocking the amount of people that are within 10 or 15 years of getting social security that don't have much savings or retirement savings. People waking up 50, 55, 60, 65 and figuring out they have no real savings. So take a look at that as well.

In your spreadsheet when you add up your monthly expenses, what do you come up with?
Thanks for the positive feedback! I do have a small nest egg and I accounted for some savings.

Until I know what the taxes will be I am guessing how much I would bring home. I based the expenses on what I have now and added additional money to them as a guesstimate. So far I may be a bit short but I am guessing on what the expense amounts would be.

I really want to make this work, so we can get closer to home. We are all alone up here and we miss friends, family and the sun!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM

You're welcome. Great that you accounted for some savings.

Try using an online paycheck calculator like this one:

California Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City

I'm not sure if they account for any local San Diego taxes but at least it will give you a good general idea of tax liabilities in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego