Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM

28 posts, read 37,307 times

Advertisements

I came to SD on a business trip and I love it, I living in NY and really need a change now. Base on the reviews I have seen so far I know this would be a good move. I have a job that I work Performance Consultant from home and travel 50% of the time, so moving to SD I will still be able to keep my job. I want to keep the city life of living but need a change from NY now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 9,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndividual View Post
I arrived here last wednesday from seattle. Only took me 19 hrs driving and I totally missed the LA traffic! woooohooooo! I've had to stay in a run down motel in PB until I can move into the studio apt I was able to land. I wasn't even going to try to find an apt until I found a job, as most apts had denied me, even when I offered to pay all 6 mo upfront. Lucky for me, I found an apt to accept me over in Golden Hill, without me having to shell out so much money up front. Now the real challenge starts: finding a job that will allow me to live down here! Wish me luck! lol
How much money did you start out with before you paid the upfront 6month? I am kinda in your boat and have a pocket of cash and want to make the move. What education do you have? Money now? Sorry I just want to know where I stand compared to you.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM

43 posts, read 67,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Cow View Post
How much money did you start out with before you paid the upfront 6month? I am kinda in your boat and have a pocket of cash and want to make the move. What education do you have? Money now? Sorry I just want to know where I stand compared to you.
I actually was able to find a place that didn't make me pay all 6 mo upfront which was awesome. I originally planned to come down here with about 7K, but had some other expenses come up while still in seattle, so I can down with a lil under 6K. My education is in animal science and I've spent the last 11 years in animal research back home at the University of Washington. I had to rent motel rooms for about a week and a half when I first got down here, so that took a chunk of money, then trying to set up my tiny apt, plus getting my car registered n stuff...My money had been dwindling. I'll put it this way, I'm not going out whatosever for quite some time.

The job I interviewed yesterday, and I could've had the job, but I just couldn't bring myself to take it. I'm sure a lot of people will read that and feel that was a dumb choice on my end, especially in this economy, but I would have only lasted maybe 2 weeks there, being miserable. It was actually a tough decision at first, as yes, I need a job, but my spirit told me no, as something else will come up. I honestly would've rather worked in fast food than there. Back to the job hunt grind I go!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
As long as you have something that pays the bills, you can wait. Zookeeper pay at $19 isn't very much. I applied for an Adm Asst job at the zoo, not long ago, and the usual emailed rejection letter.

True...$19/hr isn't by no means an amount that'll make me rich, but it would more than enough pay my expenses and I'd be doing something I love, which a lot of people aren't doing.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 PM

296 posts, read 614,282 times
I moved to SD many years ago with a my station wagon, a coffee machine and a guitar, and 700 bucks. Amazing things happened after that, it's as if my life began with that move. Now I'm in Europe and looking forward to moving to SD again, but this time with more than 700 bucks

Funny how perspective changes over time.

Good luck Ndividual and you're right to follow your animal instincts on the job.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 PM

9 posts, read 9,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndividual View Post
I actually was able to find a place that didn't make me pay all 6 mo upfront which was awesome. I originally planned to come down here with about 7K, but had some other expenses come up while still in seattle, so I can down with a lil under 6K. My education is in animal science and I've spent the last 11 years in animal research back home at the University of Washington. I had to rent motel rooms for about a week and a half when I first got down here, so that took a chunk of money, then trying to set up my tiny apt, plus getting my car registered n stuff...My money had been dwindling. I'll put it this way, I'm not going out whatosever for quite some time.

The job I interviewed yesterday, and I could've had the job, but I just couldn't bring myself to take it. I'm sure a lot of people will read that and feel that was a dumb choice on my end, especially in this economy, but I would have only lasted maybe 2 weeks there, being miserable. It was actually a tough decision at first, as yes, I need a job, but my spirit told me no, as something else will come up. I honestly would've rather worked in fast food than there. Back to the job hunt grind I go!
Thanks so much for the reply, I see we have about the same cash going into this but you have the education over me. I hope with what I have and will have I can make it work. California is where I want to be.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM

19 posts, read 32,177 times
You are brave moving to a high cost high unemployment state with no job prospects. Heck I could probably get a company transfer to so cal but will not due to the high cost of living. I will stay in a low cost state with calif wages thank you and take vacations to California.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartles99him View Post
You are brave moving to a high cost high unemployment state with no job prospects. Heck I could probably get a company transfer to so cal but will not due to the high cost of living. I will stay in a low cost state with calif wages thank you and take vacations to California.
I can dig it. To each his/her own. People keep talking about the high cost of living here and I'm still trying to see it. Maybe because in seattle, it's not cheap either, so I'm having an easier time adjusting..I dunno.... I needed a change, and that change needed to happen NOW. If I kept waiting for the ideal time to move, I would've stayed up in washington probably my whole life waiting. It is a big risk, but like I said before: what great success story have you heard of where a risk wasn't taken

Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Cow View Post
Thanks so much for the reply, I see we have about the same cash going into this but you have the education over me. I hope with what I have and will have I can make it work. California is where I want to be.
All I can say is life your life and don't let discouragement stop you! Btw..I actually don't have my degree, as I fell a class short and just never went back to school cuz I got stuck inthe working world when I came home from college. Ill finish up in 2012 tho. I just was blessed to land a job in my field when I got out of college

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM

296 posts, read 614,282 times
Far as I care now is the perfect time to make a move. More than half the competition is paralyzed in fear. Man you only live once. Let it rip!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego