Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Oops. You're entirely correct - it was Tijuana.

Maybe for the OP, there's a bus connection that would work to get to IB?
Well, the problem is also getting to the trolley from where the OP actually *lives*, too. From Downtown= easy peasy. But from any of the other central neighborhoods you'd have to take a bus to the trolley, then another bus to get to work. Thta's like over an hour of travel (conservatively) in place of a 15-20 minute drive.

The commute from center city -> South to IB in the morning and back North in the afternoon is going the opposite of traffic and would be much faster and easier than trying to take public transportation. The commute to La Jolla and back from center city really wouldn't be terrible either, depending on exactly where they live and which route they took home. Gets a little slow on the 5 South past PB and the 8 west can be a b**ch in the afternoon, but that can be circumvented in a number of ways (From the 5, exit washington street and go up the hill, exit on Pershing and take Florida/Pershing in, etc.).

Realistically, it's a much better bet to live in one of the central neighborhoods and commute to both places from there than it it to take public transportation.

Edit: I'm not against public transportation by any stretch of the imagination, I bike/bus/walk pretty much everywhere I can, including regular errands, when I'm not commuting to work. I just don't think it's a practical option for the OP given where their jobs are located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM

114 posts, read 308,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsr1 View Post
Hi,

I'm relocating to San Diego, but am debating where to live. My husband works in Imperial Beach and gets up at 5am to go to work and I will be starting a new job in La Jolla and will probably have to be to work by nine i'm assuming. We are debating on where to live that's reasonable price with price rang no more than 1500 in between the two.

Don't want to be directly downtown--suggestions appreciated. I'm not familiar with San Diego traffic, only LA which is ridiculous.

Thanks ahead of time!

Why?? Close to Downtown would be the perfect solution because both of you would commute in the opposite direction of the morning traffic.

Hmm... what about Hillcrest? It's the best community close to Downtown for the price. I don't know if Mission Hills is an option for you, pretty expensive (starting at 1600).

I don't like anything south of Downtown. It looks pretty shabby, but if you have to choose, maybe Golden Hills south of Balboa Park.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Maybe for the OP, there's a bus connection that would work to get to IB?

Yes there is, but it takes about 1.5 hours to get there.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCalifornian View Post
Why?? Close to Downtown would be the perfect solution because both of you would commute in the opposite direction of the morning traffic.

Hmm... what about Hillcrest? It's the best community close to Downtown for the price. I don't know if Mission Hills is an option for you, pretty expensive (starting at 1600).

I don't like anything south of Downtown. It looks pretty shabby, but if you have to choose, maybe Golden Hills south of Balboa Park.
North Park, South Park, Golden Hill, University Heights, City Heights (parts of it) Kensington, Mission Hills, Hillcrest... All are just as easy a commute to either place as downtown. I think the OP meant they don't want to live in Downtown proper. Can't say as I blame them, really.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times
Move to Pacific Beach

Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,191 times
Ah, sorry for my delay on replies!! Thank you for your help, I've been looking in the downtown area.. but seem to get less space for our money.. I'm used to living in NYC, and if you live out further you obviously get a bit more.

May I add, I am just not very familiar with San Diego much. I am currently in Santa Monica.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,851 times
Chula Vista is avery nice city right line between the two, would not be a promblem for the both of you it just depen on what you looking for.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsr1 View Post
I've been looking in the downtown area
Yes, you do. But you have to balance the smaller space with the shorter amount of time you spend on the road. A bigger place is nice. So is a shorter drive to and from work.

You have to decide for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego