Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM

296 posts, read 612,295 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm sure... My friends are surviving.

And come on, you think Mitt Romney would have a house there if it weren't? The Occupiers should go protest at his house..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
I agree with some of what they say, but not all of it by far. Still, I'm delighted they're demonstrating. I was hearing about nothing but right-wing obstructionism and wackiness for so many months that I was feeling entirely disenfranchised by the media. Even KPBS was leaning so far backward to appear "fair" (in reality, nothing like fair) that I wasn't hearing anything close to my ideas from them. And where have the Democrats in Congress disappeared to? At least the Dems are more in my direction, even if they themselves have drifted to right of center.

I'm glad that the protestors have given the rest of us back a voice!

And score two more for Bank Transfer Day!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I like the message too. We closed a sizable saving acct today at BOA and noticed a lot of others doing the same. While we are fortunate to have good jobs (heck any job) and savings there are so many people who work just as hard, if not harder, that were not treated real well by BOA because they are lower income or fell on hard times (but BOA execs rec bonuses). Very happy to be back with a credit union. When we moved out here my husband was in a hurry to open an account and just did BOA out of convenience. We were glad to have the incentive to switch back to a credit union.
Can't rep' you again, darnit.

When the government had to bail out the banks, we were thinking, "Any bank that's too big to fail is simply too big!" but we didn't do anything about it at that time. We have now used this incentive to switch to a credit union.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,561,990 times
I've had two friends involved. Both middle aged to older. Both female. One is a teamster and very active in the Democratic party and Unions. The other is a person who helped establish the Women's Studies program at SDSU in 1969 and went on to be Executive Director of a local non-profit. The second woman to told me it was great to be around intelligent progressive activists, so that was her take on the group. I've haven't spoken with my teamster friend since she went. Will be interesting to hear what she has to say.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,328,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
I've had two friends involved. Both middle aged to older. Both female. One is a teamster and very active in the Democratic party and Unions. The other is a person who helped establish the Women's Studies program at SDSU in 1969 and went on to be Executive Director of a local non-profit. The second woman to told me it was great to be around intelligent progressive activists, so that was her take on the group. I've haven't spoken with my teamster friend since she went. Will be interesting to hear what she has to say.
glad to hear another side of it which I suspect is an accurate portrayal of the majority of the group. Too many local media outlets portray the activists as losers going to the bathroom in the streets.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,806,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
Thanks for the update, I agree that more than likely the majority are true progressives along with folks just plain fed up.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,940,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Yeah, I'm sure... My friends are surviving
Surviving ain't exactly prospering. From what I've seen here, homeowners barely have a pot to **** in for lack of a better analogy. There are exceptions, and those exceptions usually become my customers....But they're few and far between in this neck of the woods, that's for sure.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 AM

52 posts, read 100,266 times
Occupy San Diego = Ridiculous. Asked a good few of them what they stand for and not once, did I get a straight answer.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,483,395 times
Well it may have started out with good intentions by people that are truely clueless. They should be sitting in front of the US Capitol and state Capitol buildings where the crappy laws that have Forced/Allowed Wall Street to do what they do.

Fanny and Freddy were where the bailouts were spent, not on shovel ready jobs as promised. It was Washinton that bailed out Wall Street with our money.

Nope, these kids are clueless idiots soon to be replaced with others that want to vandalize and distroy for no reason but to loot and Obama and his ilk support them.

This video is Pretty self explanatory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrvO...e_gdata_player

You have to really love stupid

Last edited by starlite9; 11-06-2011 at 01:42 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 AM

296 posts, read 612,295 times
Guess it depends on the lens one chooses to look at the world through, doesn't it? A lot of Americans seem to have short-sighted, brown-tinted lenses apparently. Who's responsibility is that? Exactly.

To the detractors of the people taking to the streets, I'd only ask, well wtf are you doing about it other than complaining about the people who are trying to get out and make themselves known?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: