Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 PM

167 posts, read 277,259 times

Advertisements

If anything, there's racism against whites who are now the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,903,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
Uhh... where did your stats come from?

In both San Diego city as well as the County of San Diego, whites are still the majority race.

//www.city-data.com/city/San-Diego-California.html

Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 PM

90 posts, read 257,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post

In both San Diego city as well as the County of San Diego, whites are still the majority race.

Remember that "whites" often includes Hispanic whites. If you self-identify as white, you can mark "white" on a census. There is usually a box that also says "Hispanic, of any race" and that is a separate ethnicity question. Regardless, I've known many, many people who are Hispanic/Latino and identify as "white" on census forms. Only the ones that make a distinction for "non-hispanic white" reflect accurately who is the stereotypical "Anglo-saxan" white. Some forms even identify middle eastern/Arabic people as white. The issue with accurately collecting data, is that there are often not standard definitions, and people can pretty much identify as whatever they want.

Also, county-wide, numbers may be one thing or another, but there are definitely certain towns where being non-Hispanic white, you are in the minority. My niece is the only white kid in her class of 30. She lives near the Back Gate area, in Oceanside.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post

Actually I think the OP meant when you add up all the minority races together it surpasses that of the whites in San Diego County.

I think that trend should continue in San Diego as well as other major cities. Whites tend to have less and less kids where as other cultures continue to have bigger families.

U.S. Census: More Minorities Than Whites In San Diego County | KPBS.org

Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
lol wut? i was just visiting in SD and I don't remember seeing a single black person. I'm from DC and half the population is black here and SD was extremely white from everything I saw.

Yea there are lots of spanish people too but who cares? I'm engaged to a beautiful Honduran

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
lol wut? i was just visiting in SD and I don't remember seeing a single black person. I'm from DC and half the population is black here and SD was extremely white from everything I saw.

Yea there are lots of spanish people too but who cares? I'm engaged to a beautiful Honduran
Yeah, I agree with you there GMUAlum on seeing black people. I live in North County and believe it or not I can go days/weeks without seeing one (besides the 2 kids in my daughter's pre-school class).

The only place I actively see them is in the downtown area and also in Mission Valley when I go to the mall there. But for the 8th largest city in America, I agree there aren't too many blacks here like other major cities.

Congrats on the engagement! Latina women make great mothers and wives.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, I agree with you there GMUAlum on seeing black people. I live in North County and believe it or not I can go days/weeks without seeing one (besides the 2 kids in my daughter's pre-school class).

The only place I actively see them is in the downtown area and also in Mission Valley when I go to the mall there. But for the 8th largest city in America, I agree there aren't too many blacks here like other major cities.

Congrats on the engagement! Latina women make great mothers and wives.
Further information Want more? Browse data sets for San Diego County
People QuickFacts San Diego County California
Population, 2011 estimate NA 37,691,912
Population, 2010 3,095,313 37,253,956
Population, percent change, 2000 to 2010 10.0% 10.0%
Population, 2000 2,813,833 33,871,648
Persons under 5 years, percent, 2010 6.6% 6.8%
Persons under 18 years, percent, 2010 23.4% 25.0%
Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2010 11.4% 11.4%
Female persons, percent, 2010 49.8% 50.3%

White persons, percent, 2010 (a) 64.0% 57.6%
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 5.1% 6.2%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 (a) 0.9% 1.0%
Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 10.9% 13.0%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 (a) 0.5% 0.4%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 5.1% 4.9%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 32.0% 37.6%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 48.5% 40.1

Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 48.5% 40.1

Yeah, 1AngryTaxPayer. That 48.5% corresponds to that URL link that I listed which shows 49% white now.

I would however argue with the OP that mentioned that "if anything there is racism against whites". I definitely don't see that being the case at all.

People come from different backgrounds and races here but definitely everyone seems to get along fairly well. I had lunch with one of my clients who is gay and has been living here a while. He told me while people can be conservative on issues and might not agree with his lifestyle, for the most part everyone is respectful of that. That's a much different story in other major cities, IMHO.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, 1AngryTaxPayer. That 48.5% corresponds to that URL link that I listed which shows 49% white now.

I would however argue with the OP that mentioned that "if anything there is racism against whites". I definitely don't see that being the case at all.

People come from different backgrounds and races here but definitely everyone seems to get along fairly well. I had lunch with one of my clients who is gay and has been living here a while. He told me while people can be conservative on issues and might not agree with his lifestyle, for the most part everyone is respectful of that. That's a much different story in other major cities, IMHO.
I look Indian even though I'm only part. I've only felt uncomfortable here a couple of times out of 25 years.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
There are more Asians than black people here. I think it's around 12 percent versus six percent. You will not see as many black people here as you do in DC. But you will see a lot more Latinos -- gee, I wonder why.

Six of one, half a dozen of another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego