Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,649 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was offered a transfer position at work which involves moving from Dallas to San Diego. My company will pay for my move, but will not be giving me a cost of living adjustment.

We have two offices – one that’s east of I-5 and north of 56 (near Torrey Pines High School in the Del Mar area) and the other is near Chula Vista. I will probably be spending most (80%?) of my time in the Chula Vista office.

I’m 48, single, and have always rented. The main attraction for me is getting away from the extreme heat of the Texas summers, but I am concerned about rental rates and the complaints on here about apartments. I’m currently paying $700/month for a very nice modern 1 bedroom apartment (800 square feet, gas and heat included). With the way the housing market is, if I liked the area I would consider buying a townhome or condo after a year because I think it would be a good investment.

Without knowing anything about San Diego, it looks like an area like La Mesa would be half way between our two offices, and not that far from the zoo or Cleveland National Forest. I’m into photography and I’m not much of a beach person, so I can see myself spending time at the zoo and going for hikes on the weekend.

Am I going to be stuck paying $1,000+ a month for a decent place to live? I’ve been googling for apartments, but without knowing much about the different areas, I feel kind of lost. I tried to find an area map showing low-high crime areas, but haven’t been too successful.

I'd appreciate any feedback on working in the Chula Vista area and possible places to live.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjohn View Post
Am I going to be stuck paying $1,000+ a month for a decent place to live? I’ve been googling for apartments, but without knowing much about the different areas, I feel kind of lost. I tried to find an area map showing low-high crime areas, but haven’t been too successful
I don't know how much an apartment will run in La Mesa, but a grand a month for a one bedroom apartment is on the low side. I am paying $1250 a month for a studio. Granted, it's a big one, but it's still a studio.

I saw a few older places for rent in Banker's Hill for around $1000 a month for a one bedroom, but then you are further away.

Your mileage may vary.

You are going to pay more than you paid in Dallas for a comparable apartment. There's no getting around that.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
for me this would be easy. Move. I think you can got 1000.00 small place or studio. The quality of life here is about 1000X than Texas IMO. Most of the SD area is low crime which is hard to comprehend for those of us from higher crime areas. If you are good at fiddling with the internets sandag has some good crime mapping info. You need addresses though
ARJIS Public Web Site > ARJIS Home

if you dream of home ownership maybe TX is better. I can say as a homeowner in cheaper states, I would rather be a renter in SD. but that's just me.I don't want to mess with your business.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Have you tried the older part of Chula Vista?
Anything south of H st and west of the 805 freeway should be cheaper.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
without a cost of living adjustment, keep in mind that you will be paying state income taxes (and high ones). So, for you, it would be like taking a pay cut. Condos are not a good real estate investment here at all, in fact, if you have one it's very hard to sell.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
I'm paying just under $1200 for a 2-bedroom in Vista.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,649 times
Yeah, apartments are looking more expensive then I thought they would.

I'm wondering if I got a PO Box and claimed residency in Vegas if that would at least get me away from the income tax. Then just go up there once a month to get mail.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjohn View Post

I'm wondering if I got a PO Box and claimed residency in Vegas if that would at least get me away from the income tax. Then just go up there once a month to get mail.
It is not exactly an endearing quality to ask citizens about living in their city, they take the time to answer, and then you tell them you want to screw them out of taxes that help maintain the city.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
didn't you inquire about doing this Nevada residency thing maybe a year or so ago...sounds familiar??? Please come, we need your tax dollars.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
It is not exactly an endearing quality to ask citizens about living in their city, they take the time to answer, and then you tell them you want to screw them out of taxes that help maintain the city.
I gotta agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego