Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times

Advertisements

I was researching areas in SD that are considered more affordable. How would people familiar with Lemon Grove describe it? Is it comparable to El Cajon? Or other cities west of SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I was researching areas in SD that are considered more affordable. How would people familiar with Lemon Grove describe it? Is it comparable to El Cajon? Or other cities west of SD?
Hi,

I moved to LG about a year ago and bought a house here. By San Diego standards is pretty dumpy. I like my house and neighborhood but it can vary by block to block. It is a VERY small city as well and one that is in major transition from rural/suburban to urban dense (3rd smallest in the county).

The location, depending on where you need to be is great. Its the gateway to both east county and San Diego city. So based on age and layout its similar to some parts of El Cajon, but probably more in appearance than anything else.

It is going through some pretty monumental changes over the next decade and there are TONS of new projects in the pipeline which have already been paid for via grants or allocated monies and private investment. IMHO these projects are going to be a massive catalyst for change in LG. The plans that I have seen are SOLID and have teeth.
So, depending on how long term you are looking, if buying a house, its something to keep in mind.

There are some good people that do live here and care about the community and are involved. So regardless of its appearance "right now" keep in mind it will all change.

A good place to learn a bit more is on their lemongrove.patch.com website.

I also recommend, if you can, to drive around some of the streets to get a feel. You will see where things are not so hot and where its pretty nice.

IMHO its one of the better buys for real estate over the long run based on location, future projections and price.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 11-17-2011 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
It may sound strange, but, as far as I know, there are no lemon groves in Lemon Grove. Or any groves of any kind, in fact. There are some orange groves in La Mesa and El Cajon, though.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
It may sound strange, but, as far as I know, there are no lemon groves in Lemon Grove. Or any groves of any kind, in fact. There are some orange groves in La Mesa and El Cajon, though.
Great point and you are right! The whole area here used to be lemon groves before the 1950s.
When the automobile started getting more popular and development started growing, lemon grove started building (post wwII). I actually live across the street from one of the historic plantation homes which sits on an acre ( its actually for sale right now).
The only other lemon trees left are some REALLY old ones scattered around town in backyards or city owned property. That will all be changing though as there is a huge effort to really create sustainable community due to the large lot sizes and planting/growing lemon trees and many other farmers market type items.

It only became a city in 1977, so its pretty new in the sense.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Hi,

I moved to LG about a year ago and bought a house here. By San Diego standards is pretty dumpy. I like my house and neighborhood but it can vary by block to block. It is a VERY small city as well and one that is in major transition from rural/suburban to urban dense (3rd smallest in the county).

The location, depending on where you need to be is great. Its the gateway to both east county and San Diego city. So based on age and layout its similar to some parts of El Cajon, but probably more in appearance than anything else.

It is going through some pretty monumental changes over the next decade and there are TONS of new projects in the pipeline which have already been paid for via grants or allocated monies and private investment. IMHO these projects are going to be a massive catalyst for change in LG. The plans that I have seen are SOLID and have teeth.
So, depending on how long term you are looking, if buying a house, its something to keep in mind.

There are some good people that do live here and care about the community and are involved. So regardless of its appearance "right now" keep in mind it will all change.

A good place to learn a bit more is on their lemongrove.patch.com website.

I also recommend, if you can, to drive around some of the streets to get a feel. You will see where things are not so hot and where its pretty nice.

IMHO its one of the better buys for real estate over the long run based on location, future projections and price.
I just discovered Coop's West Texas BBQ, and have been going for wanderings around the area when I go out there. It's an area I'd consider living in, for sure, but my commute's long enough from North Park To Escondido already... I grew up in La Mesa right off the 94/125 interchange, so I spent a fair amout of time down there as a teenager. It's definitely changing for the better

Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
Don't overlook San Diego neighborhoods on the border of Lemon Grove as well. I live in a modest home in a modest San Diego neighborhood (Rolando Park) that is bordered to the South and East by Lemon Grove and La Mesa. We are very happy here. The neighborhood is friendly and since we're perched up on a little canyon there are a lot of homes with great views. We went to see Come Fly With Me at the Civic Center downtown and were home in the blink of an eye afterward. We love that urban feel and the convenience of being close to major venues.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I just discovered Coop's West Texas BBQ, and have been going for wanderings around the area when I go out there. It's an area I'd consider living in, for sure, but my commute's long enough from North Park To Escondido already... I grew up in La Mesa right off the 94/125 interchange, so I spent a fair amout of time down there as a teenager. It's definitely changing for the better
I've been to Barnes, but not Coop's. I've heard Coop's is way better. And it's so cool that Brian Malarkey (of Searsucker and Burlap) is opening a place in La Mesa! Dining options in East County seems to be getting better and better

Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
Don't overlook San Diego neighborhoods on the border of Lemon Grove as well. I live in a modest home in a modest San Diego neighborhood (Rolando Park) that is bordered to the South and East by Lemon Grove and La Mesa. We are very happy here. The neighborhood is friendly and since we're perched up on a little canyon there are a lot of homes with great views. We went to see Come Fly With Me at the Civic Center downtown and were home in the blink of an eye afterward. We love that urban feel and the convenience of being close to major venues.
I agree. There are some great little pockets north of the 94 and south of El Cajon Blvd.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Yes, Coops is definitely the real deal and is one business we are trying to promote a bit more of as he bring TONS of traffic into the Grove via Yelp.

Keep an eye out this summer before the Del Mar Fair starts for a BBQ throw down in the Grove. Tons of vendors, food and possible local beer tent with tastings

Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yes, Coops is definitely the real deal and is one business we are trying to promote a bit more of as he bring TONS of traffic into the Grove via Yelp.

Keep an eye out this summer before the Del Mar Fair starts for a BBQ throw down in the Grove. Tons of vendors, food and possible local beer tent with tastings
Oh hot damn. You best be postin' about that here to remind me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego