Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 74,060 times

Advertisements

I'm familiar with San Diego and did my college internship with the Navy there in 2010. I'm originally from rural Minnesota so everything in San Diego seemed crazy expensive!

I did get offered a Navy job (civilian) in San Diego after my internship but it was only $10.00 an hour for an entry level job. Instead, I accepted a Navy management job making nearly twice that in the Deep South where I can get a huge three bedroom apartment for $500.00 a month.

But to be honest I'm kicking myself for leaving and miss San Diego like crazy! Now that I've been out in the working world for a couple of years in a management position I'd like to try to return to San Diego within a couple of years once I build my resume up a bit.

I realize I'll not be making enough money to live in places like La Jolla, Coronado or Point Loma. I lived in Point Loma during my internship. But I'd be just fine more inland. Quite a few people I knew from SD live in Chula Vista and I'd be good with that too. But since I work for the Navy I'd like to be reasonably close to the bases. So places like Poway or Carlsbad would be too far away for me.

What do you think? Can I realistically live in inland San Diego making $15.00-$20.00 an hour? I probably could have done it with $10.00 an hour but it would have been tight. And I would probably have had to live with a houseful of people just to be able afford it. I'd be looking for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in a safe area of the city and prefer to live without roommates. Eventually I would like to get married so the only roommate I would want would be a fiance/husband. Luckily I was a college athlete with a scholarship so I don't have student loans to pay back. I drive a Chrysler 300 with a hemi V-8 so it's not very good on gas mileage. But I should have my car loan paid off within the next year. So by the time I move to San Diego (hopefully!) I won't have many debts but rather normal living expenses: rent and utilities, gas, groceries, taxes, insurance and so on.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by MinnesotaJen; 11-27-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
$30,000 - $45,000/yr.

I don't think you can get everything you listed, but you should be able to come close if you're frugal.

If you haven't already, look at this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...-30-000-a.html

Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,399,512 times
There are plenty of comfortable, new apartments in Mission Valley which can be rented in the $1200-$1300 per month range. However, you might want to forgo the expense of that second bedroom until you actually need it.

Depending on the complex, you lived in, and the Navy Base you were working at, you might be able to take the trolley to work and leave the gas guzzler parked at home during the week.

After you have covered San Diego's higher than average, ok make that painfully-high-but-not-New-York-City-high rental costs, and mitigated your commuting expense, the rest of your expenses should be a piece of cake.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
$30,000 - $45,000/yr.

I don't think you can get everything you listed, but you should be able to come close if you're frugal.

If you haven't already, look at this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...-30-000-a.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
There are plenty of comfortable, new apartments in Mission Valley which can be rented in the $1200-$1300 per month range. However, you might want to forgo the expense of that second bedroom until you actually need it.

Depending on the complex, you lived in, and the Navy Base you were working at, you might be able to take the trolley to work and leave the gas guzzler parked at home during the week.

After you have covered San Diego's higher than average, ok make that painfully-high-but-not-New-York-City-high rental costs, and mitigated your commuting expense, the rest of your expenses should be a piece of cake.

Thanks for your replies. Thinking about it I realize I might need to make some sacrifices if I want to return to SD. I've lived in small efficiency apartments in college. They worked out fine. While I prefer more space, it might not be realistic on my salary. I even had roommates in college and sometimes it's nice to have someone else around. Maybe I'd consider a roommate(s) again as well.

I'll also take a look at the trolley routes. Unfortunately, all of the bases I've been at once you get past the gate it may be a couple of miles to your office. Since San Diego has nice weather year-round riding a bike may be a posibility depending on where I'd actually live. But more than likely I'll have to drive to work the majority of the time. Or if I decide to build up my resume a few more years I might get rid of the land yacht of a Chrysler before relocating to San Diego

Old 11-27-2011, 08:39 PM

157 posts, read 484,207 times
there's also apts 1000 or under in nice areas. la mesa has plenty. a few could be found in mission valley/clairemont/mira mesa areas, but u have to be quick on those. aand i agree kettlepot, unless u really need the 2nd bedroom u should hold off on it.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,557 times
SD county really isn't very expensive. Rent prices are about the same as they were back in my native Pittsburgh. Gas is a little higher, however groceries are the same and going out to eat actually costs a hell of a lot less if you avoid the corporate chains. This place is a smorgasbord of awesome one-off eateries. I'll never eat at ****ty Chili's or Olive Garden again!

You've got to put things into perspective too. Yeah, you can rent a large apartment in some tornado bait southern swamp town for $500....But when you step outside, you'll be either roasting or freezing your ass off (depending on the time of year), and be surrounded by flat, drab scenery.

The best things in southern California cost absolutely nothing! One thing that does bother me however, is the abundance of pay-restrooms in some of the businesses here. A ****ing quarter to take a goddamn ****? Seriously?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:30 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
SD county really isn't very expensive. Rent prices are about the same as they were back in my native Pittsburgh. Gas is a little higher, however groceries are the same and going out to eat actually costs a hell of a lot less if you avoid the corporate chains. This place is a smorgasbord of awesome one-off eateries. I'll never eat at ****ty Chili's or Olive Garden again!

You've got to put things into perspective too. Yeah, you can rent a large apartment in some tornado bait southern swamp town for $500....But when you step outside, you'll be either roasting or freezing your ass off (depending on the time of year), and be surrounded by flat, drab scenery.

The best things in southern California cost absolutely nothing! One thing that does bother me however, is the abundance of pay-restrooms in some of the businesses here. A ****ing quarter to take a goddamn ****? Seriously?
As a San Diego native (and having lived in waaaay more expensive cities), I personally don't find SD county grossly over-expensive. There are plenty of nice, inland communities that are cheaper and might fit your budget. Just live within your means and find easy ways to save money.....
For example: opting for a 1 bedroom, using public transportation, or simply cutting down on your electricity bill by hanging up your clothes to dry instead of using a machine! Remember, the weather is usually nice, so:
- Hopefully your aren't moving here to hide from the sunshine. Stay outdoors! It's not like the rest of Americans who seek refuge from the heat/cold in their McMansions. A 1 bedroom should be fine!
- Sun= good biking weather. Think of alternative methods to work. Drive only 3/4 days a week or find a carpool.

And I have never experienced paying for a restroom in San Diego in my life. I've heard of them, but not in San Diego.

I recommend La Mesa, Chula Vista, Mira Mesa, Tierrasanta, Serra Mesa, and Mission Valley. I would also definitely check out Clairemont & Linda Vista because they are pretty close to the ocean & public transit, but the prices are not as expensive as University City, Mission Hills, or La Jolla. They are also centrally located.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Thanks everyone I'll check out some of the suburbs you've mentioned. I love San Diego weather! So maybe I don't need the second bedroom after all since I'd rather be outside than be stuck indoors. I guess the appeal of having more space than what I need is just something I'm used to. I grew up in the country--plenty of room out there. And now I rent a big apartment just because rental is extremely reasonable. I realize this as I was researching SD prices while I was still living there.

That's crazy I've never heard about those pay-bathrooms! I hadn't run into any while in San Diego. Although I thought it was odd the women's public restrooms on Harbor Island didn't have stall doors...

And I know what you mean about the tornadoes. I live within a couple of hours of both Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, AL which made national news with all the tornadoes last April. My county got hit as well and a couple of people were killed. But it wasn't nearly as bad as those two cities. Think I'd rather deal with earthquakes instead. There's also quite a bit of crime in the Deep South. We're talking violent crimes here. It seems like someone's always getting shot at, robbed at gunpoint or a body turns up along the interstate. I think it's bad here and this is coming from a girl who spend a lot of time around Murderapolis....I mean Minneapolis.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,457 times
I don't think you have to live inland if you're getting $20 an hour. That's $40K a year.

The rule of thumb is that you do not want to spend more than a third of your gross income on housing. That $40K a year would allow you to spend $1,100 a month on rent. I looked at some places in Little Italy, Bankers Hill and the East Village where you can get a one bedroom for that.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Having a freezer and buying bulk portioning out will save you $. Costco is my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego