Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Probably minimal correlation. AZ is a very easy gun state with two cities on that list.
Well the list gives off a conflicting message, in my mind. The AZ cities also have a lot of old geezers like myself and are less inclined to go out and mug someone. But the list also has two TX towns and of course we all know that this is a concealed carry state - but those two towns are very suburban to somewhat upscale (in the case of Frisco).

I enjoy guns and going to ranges, but I have a suspicion that many that claim they need to carry don't know how to use the gun, based on what I see here at the ranges - YIKES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,051 times
Here's the thing that always gets me about the "guns are great for self defense" argument.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are supposed to keep the gun stored unloaded, and the ammo's supposed to be kept separately from the weapon itself. Or you're supposed to keep it locked up, or both.

Do you really think that if someone was breaking into your house at two in the morning, you'd have time to go find the keys, unlock the cabinet, and get ready to fire it before the intruder got to you? Or find the gun, find the ammo and load it?

Own them if you want to. Have fun with them. Go hunt with them. Hell, if you just want to display them, enjoy them.

But until someone shows me how they can get that unloaded weapon ready to fire before an intruder gets to them when they've been woken up at two AM, I'm skeptical about the self defense claims.

Add in to that mix that peer reviewed studies have found that you are far more likely to kill someone in your family with a weapon than to kill an intruder, and it makes me even more skeptical about the self defense claims.

Again, I'm just fine with people owning guns. If you want to blow your entire fortune collecting them, go for it. So don't give me that "you want to take away my guns" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I enjoy guns and going to ranges, but I have a suspicion that many that claim they need to carry don't know how to use the gun, based on what I see here at the ranges - YIKES!
Hell, there was a member of the Arizona legislature that pointed a gun at a reporter during an interview about gun ownership after the Giffords shooting.

This is probably why guns are far more likely to kill someone in the family than to kill a criminal. Jokers who own them don't take reasonable safety precautions, and then little Johnny finds it, starts playing with it, and kills himself or one of his friends.

If people would be responsible...well, never mind. That would solve so many problems.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Here's the thing that always gets me about the "guns are great for self defense" argument.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are supposed to keep the gun stored unloaded, and the ammo's supposed to be kept separately from the weapon itself. Or you're supposed to keep it locked up, or both.

Do you really think that if someone was breaking into your house at two in the morning, you'd have time to go find the keys, unlock the cabinet, and get ready to fire it before the intruder got to you? Or find the gun, find the ammo and load it?

Own them if you want to. Have fun with them. Go hunt with them. Hell, if you just want to display them, enjoy them.

But until someone shows me how they can get that unloaded weapon ready to fire before an intruder gets to them when they've been woken up at two AM, I'm skeptical about the self defense claims.

Add in to that mix that peer reviewed studies have found that you are far more likely to kill someone in your family with a weapon than to kill an intruder, and it makes me even more skeptical about the self defense claims.

Again, I'm just fine with people owning guns. If you want to blow your entire fortune collecting them, go for it. So don't give me that "you want to take away my guns" stuff.

Hell, there was a member of the Arizona legislature that pointed a gun at a reporter during an interview about gun ownership after the Giffords shooting.

This is probably why guns are far more likely to kill someone in the family than to kill a criminal. Jokers who own them don't take reasonable safety precautions, and then little Johnny finds it, starts playing with it, and kills himself or one of his friends.

If people would be responsible...well, never mind. That would solve so many problems.
So True!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 24,270 times
Quote:
It's not a requirement, it's a highly recommended suggestion for general gun safety and to prevent theft. You are only in violation of the law if someone, especially a child, gets hurt or killed because it was not locked up.

In your home, you would keep your self defense gun readily accessible and have your hunting and sporting guns locked up. And by readily accessible, there are CA DOJ approved lock boxes small enough to keep on your night stand and fast enough to open with a push of a few buttons (combination lock).

If you have kids in the home, you also train them about gun safety just like you train them not to mess with the cleaning chemicals, the stove, the fire place, the knife drawer, sticking metal objects in the wall sockets, etc. There are lots of items in the home that are potentially lethal.

Criminals obviously don't follow gun laws. Restricting law abiding citizens with these laws makes them easier prey. Fortunately, we still have the option of a concealed carry license in San Diego through the Sheriff's department.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
I have heard that it's nearly impossible to get a permit to carry here in San Diego. Defensible space becomes the issue when a person cannot legally carry a loaded weapon. Simple things like car door locks, parking so that you have enough space in front of you so that if a crook pulls up on your rear bumper you can still exit and get away. A cell phone, a baseball bat and being trained in how to blind or wound an attacker is vital especially for women.

What has occurred here in Cali IMHO is not safety....its fear. Fear of the next guy in the car, fear of not being able to protect oneself and fear of the police as they want to run your ID as well as the perpetrators.

Random violence leaves good people harmed and dead and unfortunately it happens every day. The feeling in Alaska is similar to a democracy e.g. I am an adult and I am expected to act that way. If I don't I lose my rights. It's not presumptive that I already can't be an adult such as it is here in Cali....

Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I have heard that it's nearly impossible to get a permit to carry here in San Diego. Defensible space becomes the issue when a person cannot legally carry a loaded weapon. Simple things like car door locks, parking so that you have enough space in front of you so that if a crook pulls up on your rear bumper you can still exit and get away. A cell phone, a baseball bat and being trained in how to blind or wound an attacker is vital especially for women.

What has occurred here in Cali IMHO is not safety....its fear. Fear of the next guy in the car, fear of not being able to protect oneself and fear of the police as they want to run your ID as well as the perpetrators.

Random violence leaves good people harmed and dead and unfortunately it happens every day. The feeling in Alaska is similar to a democracy e.g. I am an adult and I am expected to act that way. If I don't I lose my rights. It's not presumptive that I already can't be an adult such as it is here in Cali....

Liberals groups or law makers pushing to create legislation for common sense and moral judgement because its for the "common good". In the past it was called "faith" in religion to help dictate moral behavior.

This national cell phone outrage on the news is a prime example. UNBELIEVABLE.

Check this out:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...t-a-gift-card/

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 12-14-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:

It's pretty simple. If my alarm goes off I put my hand on the case and it opens from my fingerprints.
It is already loaded. This whole process takes about 3 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1776 View Post
It's not a requirement, it's a highly recommended suggestion for general gun safety and to prevent theft. You are only in violation of the law if someone, especially a child, gets hurt or killed because it was not locked up.

In your home, you would keep your self defense gun readily accessible and have your hunting and sporting guns locked up. And by readily accessible, there are CA DOJ approved lock boxes small enough to keep on your night stand and fast enough to open with a push of a few buttons (combination lock).

If you have kids in the home, you also train them about gun safety just like you train them not to mess with the cleaning chemicals, the stove, the fire place, the knife drawer, sticking metal objects in the wall sockets, etc. There are lots of items in the home that are potentially lethal.

Criminals obviously don't follow gun laws. Restricting law abiding citizens with these laws makes them easier prey. Fortunately, we still have the option of a concealed carry license in San Diego through the Sheriff's department.
No civilian will EVER get a ccw under current conditions in my County.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

No civilian will EVER get a ccw under current conditions in my County.
Hell! San Diego county as a whole
Only people ive seen with ccw's at the Range are pawn/jewelry shop owners and or cops.

Thanks to Dresden
Quote:
[SIZE=100]

All CCWs in San Diego County are issued through the Sheriff's Department. The current Sheriff in San Diego County has taken a very restrictive approach to CCW issuance. Good Cause is basically defined as documentable business reasons, or documented personal physical threats and attacks with police reports. But the staff are pleasant and try to get you through the labyrinthine process. Just remember, they are human too. Be pleasant, answer all their questions, don’t give them any grief, and the process will move along. They are not the policy makers. Arguing with them about the Second Amendment will not benefit your case. Here is how it currently works:

Although the standard application is available on their web site, you are required to make an appointment (Tuesdays and Thursdays only, and limited hours) to come in and pick up your application. You then have to convince the clerk that you have sufficient Good Cause (GC) to proceed any further. If you don’t have what the clerk believes is GC, they will discourage you from moving on with the process, telling you it is a gamble and that there are no refunds. They will explain how there is all kinds of liability to the issuing agencies and that they have to be very careful on who they issue CCWs. The whole notion that the State, the County and the Sheriff’s Department are liable if they issue a CCW is bogus. There is no more liability than issuing a driver’s license. If your GC is good enough, or you won’t take no for an answer, they will give you another form (not currently posted on their web site) which lists the additional documents you need to prove your GC. You are told that you will need to make another appointment to bring in this additional paperwork.

With the checklist in hand, you collect all of the pertinent data: proofs of residence (current unpaid utility bills), three letters of reference (dated within 30 days of second interview), training certification (also dated within 30 days of second interview), business documents, police reports (for personal threats), etc. You then call for a second interview appointment (Tuesdays and Thursdays only and limited hours). At the interview, the paperwork is reviewed in detail, along with your written GC. They take your money order for the DOJ, another check for their processing, your fingerprints via Livescan, and your picture. You are given information on the required range qualification and the dates and times the range is open (select Wednesdays from 9 to 11).

So at the end of the second interview, the clerk tells you that it should take about eight weeks to process everything. This includes the DOJ background check, calling your references, and whatever other internal paper shuffling they need to do. You may also get a call for more information from the background investigator. Eventually you will get a call telling you to come in to pick up your permit.

Now, regarding the training and range qualifications, you basically have to do it twice: once with the approved instructor during the 8 hour class with all three of your firearms; then, after you turn in that certification, you have to go to the police range in Duffy Town (on MCAS Miramar), take another written safety test, and qualify with each firearm you want on your CCW, despite what the info sheet says (the range master picks one of your three weapons). They restrict you to three weapons on your CCW, even though the state form says use additional sheets if needed. Once that is done, the documentation from the range is taken by the range officer back to the administration to join up with your other paperwork.

Helpful hints on getting through the process:

1. Have the application filled out before you go in for the first appointment. You can’t fill in Section 7 on-line so you have to print that portion out and fill it in by hand or typewriter.
2. Have your Good Cause statement typed out on a separate piece of paper. Have it reviewed by CalCCW staff prior to your first appointment. Remember, for right now, your GC has to be what makes you more vulnerable to attack that the average unarmed civilian. During the interview, they will ask you for a very brief reason as your GC. Have a brief answer, but be ready to expand on that answer.
3. Before you go in, contact the three people you are going to use as references. Also check for the availability of CCW classes from the vendors. The shorter you can keep the timeframe between your first and second interviews, the better.
4. During the interviews, be confident but polite and professional. These clerks also have to deal with registered sex offenders, massage parlor licenses, strip bars, junk yards, and a wide variety of other licenses. The smoother you make the process for them, the better.
5. Schedule your CCW class as soon as possible after the first interview. When you have a confirmed date for the class, call and make an appointment for the second interview. Then, once you have the date for your second interview, you can contact your references about when you will pick up the letters from them.
6. With regard to the reference letters, they need to be written by the individuals, not by you. But there is some guidance on the checklist about what information needs to be in the letter. Having the letter on business letterhead looks good too, if your reference owns the company.
7. With regard to proving your GC:
a. If it is for Personal Protection, they will want to see copies of police reports and such documentation showing a current and ongoing threat to your personal safety.
b. For businesses, you will need to provide copies of current business licenses, professional licenses, current contracts, current invoices, possibly deposit slips, etc. You need to be able to show that your business is active.
8. When you go to qualify, have all your weapons thoroughly cleaned, unloaded, slide locked back for autos, and at least two spare magazines. Only factory ammunition may be used. You will need an outside-the-waistband holster and a magazine pouch is advised. You will only be firing 15 rounds, so take your time and breathe. Maximum distance is 7 yards with both hands, 5 rounds inside the scoring area within 20 seconds. Next is 5 yards, 5 rounds, in 15 seconds with both hands. Then it is 3 yards, 2 rounds with weak hand only in 6 seconds, then 3 yards, 3 rounds with strong hand only in 8 seconds. It shouldn’t be too tough for you.
9. Finally, be patient. Nothing happens fast when the government is involved. The best thing you can do is be very thorough with all your paperwork, even overwhelm them with documentation so that it leaves less for them to question.[/SIZE]
All that just to get told no!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
... What has occurred here in Cali IMHO is not safety....its fear. Fear of the next guy in the car, fear of not being able to protect oneself and fear of the police as they want to run your ID as well as the perpetrators. ....

So you (representative of those who agree with you) would feel safer with looser gun laws.

But I (representative of those who would disagree with you) would feel safer with tighter gun laws.

I guess I think you can't have a discussion about safety without it also being about fear ... aren't they opposite ends of the same emotion?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
So you (representative of those who agree with you) would feel safer with looser gun laws.

But I (representative of those who would disagree with you) would feel safer with tighter gun laws.

I guess I think you can't have a discussion about safety without it also being about fear ... aren't they opposite ends of the same emotion?
Would you really advocate for tighter gun laws as studies show that access to those guns for criminals is not affected? I would call that wishful thinking or denial.

Ride around in your vehicle with a weapon. If you feel less safe, don't own one. But don't restrict my rights to disagree and to feel safe. Less is not more in both cases.

The monster who comes to your car or home door knows this. What are you going to use?

Harsh language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego