Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:10 AM

298 posts, read 389,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'd prefer that to having law abiding citizens carrying loaded concealed weapons. Then we all know what we're getting into, and who to stay away from if we're bothered by it.

I'd more prefer no weapons like, nominally, Great Britian. Yeah, I know, they have hunting gear, but that doesn't seem to be used much for crime. And I'm sure they have the occasional concealed weapon that gets used for crime. And they're not called "knifecrime island" for nothing. But I suspect you're much more likely to survive a knife attack than a gun attack.
In other words, suspend the 2nd Amendment? Brilliant idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
I guess that makes mine even more of a pipe dream - I'd want to include shutting down that black market. I wonder if it's even possible. Do concealable-weapon black markets exist in, say, European countries? Or Canada?
How about Mexico. Look no further than what's going on down there. I work with people that tell me they all have illegal guns because the cops sure aren't going to help.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
In other words, suspend the 2nd Amendment? Brilliant idea
The point of the second amendment was that the citizens of the country should never be in danger from their military, in case their military went rogue (that had been a not-rare occurrence in the world up to the 1770's). Looking at the weapons our military now has, the second amendment has been rendered obsolete by circumstances, since no citizens or group of citizens has any chance of having counter-weapons to that.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How about Mexico. Look no further than what's going on down there. I work with people that tell me they all have illegal guns because the cops sure aren't going to help.
This isn't Mexico, so I don't think what's going on down there now is relevant to a discussion of U.S. gun laws ...

Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
This isn't Mexico, so I don't think what's going on down there now is relevant to a discussion of U.S. gun laws ...
Then neither are your references to Great Britain. Or Canada. You are turning this into some type of Burger King argument.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 PM

86 posts, read 233,056 times
Quote:
The monster who comes to my car or home knows, as studies show, that most of the time even if I have a weapon, I won't use it against him/her, and it'd be more likely that s/he'd wind up using it against me.
This is just nonsense. The only studies that supports this drivel come from the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun-anything groups and advocates.

The facts are that legitimate studies derived from actual interviews with convicted felons show that they avoided committing crimes when they even thought the victim was armed.

I cannot image being irresponsible enough not to have a plan and equipment to defend one's family in the face of danger. To me it's unthinkable.

What are you going to tell your wife or children in the aftermath of a preventable horrific event when they look at you and ask, "Dad, why didn't you do something?"

And for those who think calling the police is the answer, here is an unfortunate fact of life in our dangerous world: "When seconds count, help is only minutes away."

Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,172 times
Liberal people like touchy feely "safe" little laws that make them feel better. After all, outlawing guns in the hands of criminals has stopped all gun crime in this country - right?

Restrictive gun laws only punish the law abiding citizen.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Liberal people like touchy feely "safe" little laws that make them feel better. After all, outlawing guns in the hands of criminals has stopped all gun crime in this country - right?

Restrictive gun laws only punish the law abiding citizen.
Gun laws don't stop criminals any more than restraining orders.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post

Besides, as I said, it is far more likely you will shoot someone you know with that gun than an intruder.

Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in ... [N Engl J Med. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI
Congratulations on picking one of the few outlier studies that paints gun ownership in a negative light. And that, from almost twenty years ago. What, nothing more recent that hasn't been debunked eight ways till Tuesday? You have some reading to do to:

Kellermann-Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home
Firearms & Liberty (four links at this link.)
Kellerman Debunked! (layman's reading of the study.)
FOXNews.com - Gun Control Science Misfires - Opinion (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,7217,00.html - broken link)
Dave Kopel on NRO

Danger to children: Guns vs. pools
Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon : Deltoid

Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Then neither are your references to Great Britain. Or Canada. You are turning this into some type of Burger King argument.
Not correct. You were comparing the US as it is to Mexico. I was comparing the US as I would prefer it to be to Great Britain. Not the same thing.

I'm not turning this into any sort of argument. I'm expressing my opinions, and you're expressing your opinions. All of which are equally legitimate.

(And what the heck is a "Burger King argument"?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego