Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 AM

9 posts, read 53,367 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anyone know the commute from I-15, south of the 52 to I-15 at the 78? The commute would be north starting around 7am, and then south starting around 6pm. Is that with traffic? Someone told me there is a north-south train in Escondido? I haven't found it on my searches, so wonder if I just heard her incorrectly. Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
That is against the traffic and it should be fairly fast. (As long as you don't need to get on the 78.) There is no north-south train in Escondido. The only train here is Sprinter, which goes east-west along the 78.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Traffic going south on I-15 at 6 pm is still going to be heavy, especially south of 52 to Clairemont Mesa, Balboa and Aero Drive. You could be sitting in traffic there. Sometimes it may be better to take Kearny Villa Road to Ruffin Road.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
There'll be occasional slow-downs due to construction along I-15. They plan to be done, I think in 2014.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
I do it every day. I've been doing it for 6 1/2 years, and I've researched all the commuting opitions.

You're communting basically the opposite of rush hour traffic.

Going North in the morning = no traffic whatsoever except sometimes it's a little slow (like 50-55 mph) between Aero and the 163 merge. If you're getting onto the 15 South of the 8 it's best to make sure you're in the left lane as the merge from the 8 can slow the right couple of lanes down in the mornings. I avoid all this by getting on the 805 -> 163 -> 15. (I live a little bit closer to the 805)

South in the afternoon = I-15 backs up *generally* between the 52 and Aero, often into single-digit speeds, but before that you're pretty much all clear. If you can check the traffic before you leave work or on the road, sometimes it's faster to take the 805 for that part, if it will get you where you want to go.

(barring accidents, the occasional weekday afternoon Charger game, etc)

The traffic Southbound in the evenings seems to be a *little bit* worse during the dark months every year, I don't know why.

There is no train unless you take the Sprinter from Escondido to Oceanside and then the Coaster to downtown, but you can't because the last Southbound Coaster leaves O'side at 5. PLus it would take you > an hour and a half plus travel time to/from the trains.

There's an express commuter bus that runs from downtown to Escondido, but it only runs Southbound in the mornings and Northbound in the afternoon, as it conforms to the pattern of the rush hour commute.

There's a bus that runs from Fashion Valley to the Del Lago Transit center in South Escondido, but it takes over an hour and you still have to transfer to a local bus (possibly 2) to get you the rest of the way to the 78.

Oh yeah and you should always check with me to see if I have any plans that evening, since it seems like the only way to guarantee a traffic jam is if I have to be someplace after work

Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 53,367 times
Wow, thank you all for such helpful advice. This is more information than I could have hoped for!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 AM

6 posts, read 10,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDpace99 View Post
Wow, thank you all for such helpful advice. This is more information than I could have hoped for!
Any thoughts as well on a daily commute from Scripps Ranch to Tijuana (I15, then to the 805)? I know it's a drive of 40 mins or so (with no delays), but that's the same what I am used to now.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,417 times
Go to Google maps, get directions and you'll find the estimated driving time between both locations. I tend to add an extra 20-30 mins to the time estimations to compensate for Rush Hour traffic.

Hope this helps.

BD5

Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Hi, I also had an I-15 question, and thought I'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one.

I may be accepting a job @ Miramar MCAS, and was wondering what the commuting time would be to/from there from some nearby suburbs like Poway or Ranchos Penasquitos. I'd be driving south about 5:30am and north @ 4pm. The jobsite is within a 3 min. drive of the I-15/Pomerado intersection.

Much appreciate any info.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlander View Post
Hi, I also had an I-15 question, and thought I'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one.

I may be accepting a job @ Miramar MCAS, and was wondering what the commuting time would be to/from there from some nearby suburbs like Poway or Ranchos Penasquitos. I'd be driving south about 5:30am and north @ 4pm. The jobsite is within a 3 min. drive of the I-15/Pomerado intersection.

Much appreciate any info.
South at 5:30 am will be free-flowing traffic. That's only a couple of freeway exits from Poway/RP, so maybe fifteen minutes max for the entire commute (depends how far into Poway you'll be).

Northbound at 4 PM, traffic is already starting to become congested. And the HOV lanes won't help you at all. So maybe twenty or thirty (on an extreme day) minutes for the entire commute. You could try avoiding I-15 north by taking surface streets. For such a short distance, I don't know which would be faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego