Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 AM

6 posts, read 10,653 times

Advertisements

hi,
in February we'll be relocating from the Netherlands to San Diego. I will be working in Tijuana. What would be the best combination neighborhood/school? Got some advice till sofar regarding neighborhoods: Pacific Beach, La Jolla (probably too expensive...), Mission Hills, Bay Park. We also checked out Chula Vista....very nice, affordable houses over there, but I have seen that the large majority of the kids in the schools over there are (logically) Spanish-speaking. Not really a problem for me personally, but I guess it will be much harder for my kids to integrate. Any advice is more than welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM

47 posts, read 107,062 times
Greetings, I love Dutch people, I've been to Amsterdam three times! Anyways..My favorite place to live in SD is Pacific Beach because I can go surfing and most the crowd there are my age in mid-20s.

but if you looking for something quieter than North Park or Mission Hills would be a better bet. I wouldn't live in Chula Vista, a lot of Mexicans live there and it's rougher around the edges.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,563,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion887 View Post
...but if you looking for something quieter than North Park or Mission Hills would be a better bet. I wouldn't live in Chula Vista, a lot of Mexicans live there and it's rougher around the edges.
Chula Vista is too large for a blanket generalization like this. Areas like Eastlake and Bonita, for example, are far different from the core of Chula Vista.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 AM

384 posts, read 978,439 times
Yes, look into Bonita (where I grew up). There are lots of threads about it. It's nice and fairly close to the border.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Chula Vista is too large for a blanket generalization like this. Areas like Eastlake and Bonita, for example, are far different from the core of Chula Vista.
Thanks for the replies. I have seen indeed that Eastlake and Bonita are quite nice areas. I could not really find good schools nearby?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh80 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have seen indeed that Eastlake and Bonita are quite nice areas. I could not really find good schools nearby?
And what about Mira Mesa? Is this a good neighborhood?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM

47 posts, read 107,062 times
Quote:
And what about Mira Mesa? Is this a good neighborhood?
Yes its a good neighborhood and can be cheaper. But its farther from Tijuana so you have to keep in mind commuting.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,490,333 times
Quote:
hi,
in February we'll be relocating from the Netherlands to San Diego. I will be working in Tijuana. What would be the best combination neighborhood/school? Got some advice till sofar regarding neighborhoods: Pacific Beach, La Jolla (probably too expensive...), Mission Hills, Bay Park. We also checked out Chula Vista....very nice, affordable houses over there, but I have seen that the large majority of the kids in the schools over there are (logically) Spanish-speaking. Not really a problem for me personally, but I guess it will be much harder for my kids to integrate. Any advice is more than welcome!

I would say Pacific Beach would be perfect for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,823,866 times
TJ is a very dangerous place now, most Americans in SoCal won't go near it. The drug cartels rule and there are alot of murders, kidnappings, decapitations (yes, you heard right), disappearances, etc. Work there...I would never even visit there anymore. and there is a long commute everyday going back and forth over the border. Make sure what you are doing is worth it....

Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,563,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
TJ is a very dangerous place now, most Americans in SoCal won't go near it. The drug cartels rule and there are alot of murders, kidnappings, decapitations (yes, you heard right), disappearances, etc. Work there...I would never even visit there anymore. and there is a long commute everyday going back and forth over the border. Make sure what you are doing is worth it....
There is a germ of truth in this, but this is repeating only the most negative news about the situation in Tijuana. There are more drug-related crimes there than I'd be comfortable with. But looking at all reports, and not just the bad-news reports, these seem to be limited to people who are involved in the drug trade. There is the occasional exception. Just like there's occasionally violent crime in every sizable city.

The commute, yeah. That is a bear.

Have you considered living in Mexico, maybe in Ensenada or Rosarita, and commuting from there up to Tijuana? That would save you the hours of waiting at the border crossing.

And yes, once you determine the actual situation there, make sure what you are doing is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego