U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

Strongly considering a move to San Diego within the next year or two but I'd love to get a feel from native San Diegans (other than my friends) on whether or not this is a good fit for my family.

Background: We are a small family of 3; myself, my husband and our 2 year old son. We are in our mid-30's but we're a young, fun couple and don't particularly care for the 'burbs. We're not religious, we're politically independent and socially liberal.

We're from the South (I'm originally from NOLA and hubs is from Atlanta), but we're sick of the intolerable summers, have no interest in snowy winters, and our son is HIGHLY allergic to mosquitos (I've read that SD doesn't have much of a problem west of I-15). Hubby and son are very outdoorsy and incredibly athletic while I'm more artistic and into social change (you can usually find me protesting and I wear the hippie badge proudly!)

We're more likely to rent than own, like the idea of community villages, and organic food/sustainable farming is very important to us. We're military (Air Force reserves) but about as far from the stereotype as possible. If we move, DH will be transferring per his civilian job to the hub in Chula Vista.

Hillcrest, North/South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, and Mission Hills/Valley seem to be the neighborhoods we're leaning towards. The 'feel', the schools, the proximity to the zoos and Balboa Park, and not too far from the ocean are all major factors. In Atlanta, we prefer Decatur, East Atlanta, Candler Park and Virginia Highlands (for comparison).

So what do you think? Is this a good fit for us? Any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,142,140 times
Move to the SF Bay Area.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM

490 posts, read 1,483,563 times
All those areas have young families like yourselves. SD is family-friendly- - you could also check out areas in Chula Vista itself - - Bonita, Eastlake.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM

6,354 posts, read 10,849,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Move to the SF Bay Area.
I'm guessing this suggestion is in response to " ... don't particularly care for the 'burbs. We're not religious, we're politically independent and socially liberal. ... "

San Diego leans conservative, probably due to more military presence (active and retired). And the outlying neighborhoods are very suburb-like.

But I think you'd be happy in any of the areas you mention, or the areas near Chula Vista that were also suggested.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM

4,942 posts, read 6,798,362 times
I used to work for a company based in Buckhead. Several of my peers lived in Virginia Highlands. Hillcrest/Mission Hills has lots of similarities to Virginia Highlands. You'll feel right at home in most of zip code 92103.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM

4,396 posts, read 11,586,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffymom View Post

We're more likely to rent than own, like the idea of community villages, and organic food/sustainable farming is very important to us. We're military (Air Force reserves) but about as far from the stereotype as possible. If we move, DH will be transferring per his civilian job to the hub in Chula Vista.

Hillcrest, North/South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, and Mission Hills/Valley seem to be the neighborhoods we're leaning towards. The 'feel', the schools, the proximity to the zoos and Balboa Park, and not too far from the ocean are all major factors.
Yes, those neighborhoods (Except Mission Valley - not sure how that got on your list) would all be good fits for you and your family.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times
Thanks for all the replies! Honestly, San Fran was one of our choices but the COL and cooler air put a kebosh on that. We were originally looking at Seattle, Tacoma, and Portland but their winters are just a bit too chilly.

As far as SD being 'conservative', as long as people aren't throwing around slurs, assaulting me with their religion, or actively reducing personal rights I can deal.

So Mission Hills yes, Mission Valley no?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM

5,260 posts, read 12,049,797 times
You've obviously done your homework

All of the areas you mentioned would work fine for you. They would be the equivalent to Virginia Highland, Midtown, Decatur, Ansley Park, etc. And not to sound like a booster, but you might want to add my neighborhood of Kensington to the mix.

Can't say much about the schools since I don't have have kids, but Grant Elementary in Mission Hills is suppose to be great. The weekly farmer's markets and health food restaurants/markets in the vicinity of the mentioned areas are plentiful.

And while SD County does have a reputation for being more on the conservative side, that is changing quickly. Just know that it's no where near the same conservative that you find in the South. Bottom line, few care about what church you attend, who you are married to or how you vote.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

4,942 posts, read 6,798,362 times
sdurbanite is right. San Diego is not as socially conservative as some think. You're looking in the right areas of town and you'll feel right at home here.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,788,935 times
Well, i agree with the suggestion that the Bay Area (sonoma or marin) or even PDX is a better fit for you. But, if weather trumps, then you will make do. It's not a crunchy, organic, hippie vibe here at all. And it's very complacent, sterile suburbia, for the most part.

Schools: please feel free to click on some of my previous posts, as i have children and have lived in sd for 9 years[My spouse is a native SD, and I have several friends who are, too]. I have answered this question alot. But you probably want to look at the public charter schools-they are on the SD school district website. Otherwise, for the neighborhoods syou are looking at, they are very hit or miss. Very. But yes, these areas are the best places for your interests. Encinitas would be a great fit, too, and with some decent schools. It's a great beach community with more than large share of folks into your interests. [I am similar to you, so i'd add encnitas to the list for sure. Better for families than mission hills, kensington, etc]. I lived in kensington and normal heights. There are lots of families, but it's hit or miss as far as streets and neighborhoods, and growing meth issues are a problem, IF you have kids especially.

Many responses on CD are from people who do not notice the child aspect of posts, I find. The emphasis with children is not just a 'good school', like it's a 'side note'. It's a lifestyle, when you have a family. And your child is in school 30 hrs a week and actually LIVES with you, fulltime. LOL I mean, it's not like having a pet where you just need a good place to walk the dog. You want parks that are not full of transients and drug deals, sirens going off all night, sharing small parks with tons of small dogs, etc. And, ideally, you'd like your children to be able to go to the neighbor's house to play, or alone t the park [when older], or the movies, etc. If you do want urban with children, and do not care about these 'safety and lifestyle factors', then there are far better places for this than SD-like NYC, SF, Chicago, etc. And Portland would provide the right mix of good schools, health food/activism being mainstream, and many walkable neighborhoods with character, tons of parks, multitude of local businesses, active populace, etc. Much more so than SD, even with Portland being a third the size of SD proper. [And I personally do not want to live in PDX, I'm just saying, based on the OP's interests, it's a much better fit than SD, IMO].

Back to the topic: I recommend checking north county-Encinitas specifically. And just don't expect character or charm [unless you are in mission hills, north or south park, univ heights, kensington-where you can actually find some.] The rest: sterile suburbia, mainly.

Also, it's not just about whether or not it's 'conservative' in SD; it's a very complacent place with generic style. It's 'nice'. Nothing is too up or down on the scale, in any department. Designed to create complacency and inoffensiveness. It lacks both vibrancy and cohesion/community.

That said, true, it's got some diversity of opinion and thought, just not too much of any of that actively happening to notice one way or the other. And for many people, it is paradise. Great weather, beaches, superifically friendly people. Safe for a city of it's size, and not the worst traffic by any means. It's got alot to offer; for the right person the quality of life can be high.
My two cents.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited by lrmsd; 12-16-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>