U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM

33 posts, read 51,833 times

Advertisements

Hey San Diegans,

I am taking the Amtrak train from Seattle and it arrives at the San Diego Station at 1 AM. It is pretty lame to have to check into a hotel or hostel and pay for a night that I would probably not even sleep through, so...

Is there any place near the station that someone could hang out for five hours without being bothered? I will only have a backpack so it would be pretty obviously I was traveling. How is the Amtrak station? I am assuming they would kick me out since I will not be getting on my next train for four days.

I am planning on checking into the hostel that day.

Thanks, and can't wait to get some sun in my eyeballs.

Last edited by crzchn; 12-16-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 8,094,182 times
I don't know if the station would be open at that time or not, you could check the website or try to call them. The area around there late at night isn't all that great...alot of homeless, etc. I used to take the Coaster commuter train and even at 7 pm it was scary waiting around the track. You could walk over to the Gaslamp area where there are alot of bars and restaurants and hang out but I think the bars close at 2 pm? But again, downtown San Diego (other than Gaslamp) pretty much clears out after work hours. It's been pretty chilly here especially at night.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 9,668,731 times
There is a YMCA youth hostel right down the street on Broadway.

That immediate area near the train depot is a ghost town after 5 or 6 as oddstray said.

Brians 24 is open 24 hours. its on 6th Ave between F and E St.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM

33 posts, read 51,833 times
Thanks both for that good info. Well, it's not really good, but you know what I mean. I might stop on San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara for a day or two instead and take the Pacific Surfliner which arrives at a more reasonable hour.

if anyone had any tips about hostels our any other interesting places to stay on SoCal I would love to hear from you.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,810,303 times
I was going to be a smart ass and say just find a spot on the street to sleep, because a lot of people do that but you've already been educated by others.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 PM

16,195 posts, read 22,965,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzchn View Post
Thanks both for that good info. Well, it's not really good, but you know what I mean. I might stop on San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara for a day or two instead and take the Pacific Surfliner which arrives at a more reasonable hour.

if anyone had any tips about hostels our any other interesting places to stay on SoCal I would love to hear from you.
Santa Barbara is a very pretty place, but I have no clue how the area is around the amtrak. The time of arrival sounds pretty unsafe at 1am. for San Diego. If you have an option, I'd at least hedge my bets and arrive at a more reasonable daylight hours, at one of the other places. Do your research on hotels etc. Be safe

Old 12-18-2011, 01:45 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,483,371 times
There's a Denny's Restaurant about 3/8 mile north of the train station at the intersection of Pacific Coast Hwy and Hawthorne Street. There is nothing particularly scary about Pacific Coast Hwy. There will be no dark alleys for someone to lurk inside until someone walks by. It's not really a highway, it's a wide urban street that fronts along the bay lined with hotels and the County Administration Building. The County Bldg is beautiful by the way if the outside lights are on.

Take your time walking to Dennys, and walk in at about 2am and sit down. (One caveat, I couldn't verify that it was a true 24 hours Dennys) With luck the service will be slow, and the cook slower, and you can comfortably nurse your meal for 2 to 3 hours. By then it will be daybreak-ish, you'll be able to head out and wait around until the proper time for registering at the hostel.

What's more expensive, an extra night at the hostel, or a middle-of-the-night meal at Denny's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego