Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 AM

5 posts, read 11,141 times

Advertisements

Hi, we were thinking of moving to San Diego from Italy with our three kids. Whe wanted to stay in the San Diego County. We are searching for a town/place where there are good schools, great to rise kids, and best for our five year old kid who has bronchial problems (so less polluted air and preferably with marine breeze). Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Where will you be working? What sort of budget to you want to keep?

Old 12-18-2011, 04:45 AM

we will choose the best place to live first, our budget for the house is 400.000 dollars

Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 AM

we would like good public schools

Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Don't come here without already having either a job or a good fund of savings to live on until you find one. It won't be easy to find. I don't know much about house prices, but someone else here can tell you where houses cost that much.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Perhaps it is a language issue but the more information you provide to people about your job ages of children etc the more helpful they can be.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
I agree with oddstray that says not to move out here unless you already have a job lined up. Also, I couldn't tell from your post but are you an American living abroad and returning to the USA or are you an Italian citizen trying to move to the USA.

Not even accounting for any possible work visa issues, you have to consider that the job market here is horrible. And I've found that foreign nationals have a much tougher time vs. American born and educated locals. Unless you have some special skill that most of the local job market doesn't have, which may be the case you will have an uphill battle. (And speaking Italian doesn't count as it's not used here. I assume you probably speak some Spanish as well which will help but many professionals here are bi-lingual and fluent in Spanish as well as English).

It doesn't sound like English is your first language so you will have to ask yourself why someone would hire you vs. someone else? I'm just trying to be objective here.

There are many highly trained, highly educated people with advanced degrees and a lot of experience here that are out of work so you have to consider that as well.

Moving across the country is tough enough with kids. Uprooting them from their normal life, their friends, family, etc. But moving to another continent is something really really major so have a good game plan.

I do think San Diego can be great for foreign nationals that want to retire to a new city and looking for a good quality of life to raise kids. But in those cases, only for people that have significant cash flow to live without having to worry about an on-going job.

You'll find not being American (if that is the case), you have a whole host of things to worry about besides trying to find a job. Most lenders won't lend to you to buy a house if you aren't a USA citizen, even if you have adequate tax returns in your country. I'm not sure if you have a US social security number but I'm guessing no. Or it sounds like you probably have enough to buy a place with cash which would be the way to go if you're a foreign national.

Also, $400,000 isn't too much money for a house in San Diego. You talk about "Marine Breeze" so it sounds like you want to be close to the ocean and for that budget you're not going to find anything decent. Also, from your situation, it sounds like renting first and NOT buying is the way to go to see if things work out.

The things you need to answer to get some more objective advice are:

- What do you do for a living?
- Are you a US citizen or coming in on a work visa? What type of visa?
- How old are your kids?
- Do you have significant savings and on-going cash flow from other investments?
- Does your spouse also work?
- Could you make it if you couldn't find a job for 1 year or longer?
- Do you have any family in the area?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM

thank you for the answers. We are all american citizens with a social security number but we lived most of our lives here in Italy. Our kids are 6,4 and 2 years old. We don't have any family near san diego only in New Jersey. Here in Italy we have a company of cnc automatic lathe, my wife works in an icream-bar. We wanted to open an italian style icecream-bar and I would like to continue my job. We don't know if we are moving or not we are just trying to find out if we can do it or not. We would like to raise our children away from italy and in a different climate, best for our daughter. We don't need a house near the sea we just need to live in a less polluted city and be able to go to the sea in a small time

Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mame83 View Post
thank you for the answers. We are all american citizens with a social security number but we lived most of our lives here in Italy. Our kids are 6,4 and 2 years old. We don't have any family near san diego only in New Jersey. Here in Italy we have a company of cnc automatic lathe, my wife works in an icream-bar. We wanted to open an italian style icecream-bar and I would like to continue my job. We don't know if we are moving or not we are just trying to find out if we can do it or not. We would like to raise our children away from italy and in a different climate, best for our daughter. We don't need a house near the sea we just need to live in a less polluted city and be able to go to the sea in a small time

Mame,

That's good that you're US citizens with SSN's. That will make it easier but the lenders still might hassle you if you haven't lived in the USA for many years.

I was in a similar situation as you. I'm a US citizen but lived outside of the USA for 8 years and recently moved back. I was amazed how difficult the banks were and how much paperwork they wanted when buying. The pendulum has truly swung the other way from giving anyone with a heartbeat a mortgage to making it really difficult for excellent candidates. I have an 817 FICO credit score, no debt, made great income, provided my US tax returns but they kept asking for more and more documents simply because I wasn't living in the USA so keep that in mind. They finally did offer a great mortgage rate but it was almost like they were looking for excuses NOT to give out a mortgage if there is anything out of the ordinary, especially living abroad for many years.

I don't know if an Italian style ice cream bar would work here or not. I've started a few successful companies before so I know what you are going through. I'd just say do a LOT of due diligence and planning and if you're doing something like that with no job lined up, will spend significant resources getting the company up and running, etc.

Starting a business isn't always difficult but starting a successful and profitable business that will be around for the long-term is difficult. Most businesses fail so just go into the move with PLENTY of savings.

Have a really good game plan and also a good life plan. Have a plan if the new business doesn't work that you still have savings to fall back on if you have to make a move. With 3 kids all at a young age, uprooting them to another country, another culture away from their friends and family will be a bit of a culture shock for them.

Maybe if you can have someone else running your existing business back home if it's really profitable. That way you could continue to have cash flow. I'm not sure how much oversight is needed with employees there. It might just be easier selling the business if a lot of oversight is needed. I know in some countries where I've done business, I had to stay on top of all the employees. Plus, I think Italy is one of the countries where employees have TONS of freedoms, lots of vacations, difficult to fire, etc. It can be a nightmare being a small business owner in a country like that.

The USA has it's fair share of problems. But then again so does Italy and Europe. There are tremendous issues and problems in the EU now as you know. Also, I think it's great that you want to raise the kids in the USA. From my experiences doing business in Italy, the locals wouldn't hesitate to cheat you for a second there! And often the judicial system doesn't work there. Sure there is corruption in the USA as well but it's nothing like places like Italy where it's almost a way of life there.

Say what you want to about the USA but everything here works fairly well, it's a very safe environment, people actually obey the traffic laws and pedestrians have the right of way, and probably one of the best places in the world to raise kids.

I've found in places like Italy and other countries where lying, cheating and stealing is almost ingrained as "normal" in society, we didn't want to raise our kids in that kind of environment.

Good luck whatever you do.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 12-19-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Mame,

Maybe if you can have someone else running your existing business back home if it's really profitable. That way you could continue to have cash flow. I'm not sure how much oversight is needed with employees there. It might just be easier selling the business if a lot of oversight is needed. I know in some countries where I've done business, I had to stay on top of all the employees. Plus, I think Italy is one of the countries where employees have TONS of freedoms, lots of vacations, difficult to fire, etc. It can be a nightmare being a small business owner in a country like that.

The USA has it's fair share of problems. But then again so does Italy and Europe. There are tremendous issues and problems in the EU now as you know. Also, I think it's great that you want to raise the kids in the USA. From my experiences doing business in Italy, the locals wouldn't hesitate to cheat you for a second there! And often the judicial system doesn't work there. Sure there is corruption in the USA as well but it's nothing like places like Italy where it's almost a way of life there.

Say what you want to about the USA but everything here works fairly well, it's a very safe environment, people actually obey the traffic laws and pedestrians have the right of way, and probably one of the best places in the world to raise kids.

I've found in places like Italy and other countries where lying, cheating and stealing is almost ingrained as "normal" in society, we didn't want to raise our kids in that kind of environment.

Good luck whatever you do.
This is way we want to get away from Italy...we don't want them to rise with this environment. We are really tired of how the things are getting here. We will be in San Diego in a few months to ask see if we can do it or not, will talk to a lawyer and people who can help us. I hope everything goes in the right way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego