Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM

14 posts, read 65,599 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Philadelphia to San Diego in the next couple weeks and wanted to see if anyone could provide advice on my move.

Option 1: Fly out and ship my car. Quote to ship car came in at $1,100.
Option 2: Drive cross country.

The issue I may have with driving is that I need to get there relatively quick and don't have anyone yet who would want to take the drive with me. I can't take too many days off of work so I was planning for 4-5 days to do this.

I don't have much furniture but I looked into the idea of getting a pod, but the cost came in at $1,400. All I really would fill it with would be bed, box spring, surfboards, flat screen tv, and boxes of clothes, dishes, other household items. I'd hate to sell my tv since I just bought it about 1.5 yrs ago, but I guess I risk breaking it in transport. If I drove I would be able to fit some things such as my surfboard, tv and a few boxes but the drive would be tough if I did it solo. I also have a leased car, but I get 15k miles a year and have only been using about 900/mth so far.

I haven't had much experience with long moves, so any insight is very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
When we moved from the east coast to San Diego almost 3 years ago we used a POD and it was wonderful. IMHO, well worth the cost if you don't mind packing your things up yourself. We loved the fact that it was locked up (with our own lock) but it wasn't the hassle of having to drive a U-Haul.

We also debated the driving vs. flying and shipping our car, and ended up driving. We were able to take our time though (about 5 days) and it was actually kind of fun.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
check out Uship for quotes. its like the ebay of shipping. I had one of my scooters shipped this way and it worked well. Some shippers also move household items. You never know it could be a good deal. I always hear its usually best to sell almost everything rather than move it....I guess it depends. We were reimbursed for our move so it did not make sense for us. Keep in mind there can be travel delays this time of year. Its winter and you will need to cross a couple mountain ranges to get here.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
When I moved from DC, I had someone move me and I shipped my car. That was the easiest way to go. If you think about it, you'll need three or four days to drive. That means a couple of nights in a hotel room, food, gas, and so on. By the time you're done, you really don't save all that much money.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 18,237 times
I'm in the same situation but without the car. Still looking for a condo but will be moving in the next couple of weeks. New company is paying for the move and I have about 1 bedroom condo's worth of stuff to move out of a family members house. I'm also moving cross country from WI and will need to coordinate my flight with the movers arrival. Anybody willing to share their experience? I'll probably arrive the night before and get a hotel room. It's much less stuff to move than would fill even a cube van and since work is paying for it I won't be doing any of the work but will need to be present.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
When my sister and nephew moved back to San Diego, they had a 2-bedroom condo's worth of furniture to ship. She had me find her a storage unit, and arranged with movers to pick up the furniture and move it into the storage unit. I just needed to be physically present. Then they took their time driving out here, and rented at a residence motel for a month until they found a place to move in to.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 AM

111 posts, read 328,089 times
I would never drive the car across country too much wear and tear on the car, and if its leased too much mileage. I would rent a Penske truck with the tow thing or flatbed thing for the car to go on (Used to be loyal to Uhaul until I found better rates with using Penske and they require $0 deposit unlike Uhaul which wants a deposit before you get the truck)

Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff68 View Post
New company is paying for the move and I have about 1 bedroom condo's worth of stuff to move out of a family members house.
If the company is paying, then why in the world would you deal with driving across the country yourself and loading and unloading the truck?

They're paying. Take advantage of it!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM

24 posts, read 26,098 times
Hello,

I think it would be great if you contact a moving company. They do the work really efficiently and manage things very easily.

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
Since you're presently in the Southeastern WI area, you may want to check out C. Coakley Relocation Systems. They did an office move for us in 2011 and it was a fabulous job! I'm not sure if they would do a cross-country move, but it may be worth it to check. They should at least have some decent connections/referrals in the moving/logistics/transportation industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego