Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

The new Gonzalez market is at 54th & University, right next to Kmart. It looks to be pretty busy, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The new Gonzalez market is at 54th & University, right next to Kmart. It looks to be pretty busy, too.
Produce is good, but overall this store is not as good as the one on 43rd st (?) The meat dept and hot deli is smaller. And I am pretty ticked off that I got some insanely spoiled meat from the meat counter. I don't know how they bagged it up with a strait face. My entire condo stunk the next day. It was the Tues before thanksgiving and I was going out of town so could not follow up....plus I am not over that way much so I just took the loss. The same thing happened to a coworker of mine. I am hoping they have it together now, and that was a one time thing b/c I have otherwise been very satisfied with NGG markets.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I think the Southcrest (43rd St) store is the largest of all of them. I go there once in a while if they're having something on sale that I want, but otherwise, I'm rarely in that area. I haven't been in the new store, yet, but just going past it, Isee that there are a lot of cars in the parking lot now.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Sprouts is awesome, but the best place for produce is the People's Organic Food Coop in OB: OB People's Food Store. I'm no crunchy hippie, but I love quality, and this place is like a slice of Berkeley Bowl Marketplace (just a slice) in San Diego. Worth going to.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Yes it is busy. I went there last weekend, grabbed some goods and was in heaven. Love that place and am glad its closer to where I live.

That parking lot however is another question. You better have your wits and spidey senses about you as there are cars buzzing from all directions.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I like our Carnival market for produce.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM

spaghetti squash .69 a lb @ north park produce today

Old 01-08-2012, 02:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
There's one surefire way to get fresh produce, and something that we are truly blessed to be able to do year round.

Grow it yourself.

You could plant warm weather plants like tomatoes, harvest and can those, and then in the winter when it gets chilly, plant lettuce and other cool weather plants.

You don't need a tremendous amount of space to do this. I have a small balcony that's about 4x10 and I have enough room to have spring onions, oregano, basil, tomatoes, and a dwarf avocado tree.

Growing stuff by yourself is a lot of fun and it's truly locally sourced food!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
The outrageous prices have to be affecting sales of many items. These stores are just insane, stuff will just rot on the shelves at the prices they ask.

I will not pay 10 dollars for 6.5 ounces of Macadamia nuts. I will not pay $3.49 a pound for FRICKEN CHICKEN WINGS.

Ten bucks a pound for farm raised Salmon from China at Walmart.....HAHA.

Let it rot, I am not buy stuff at the insane prices they ask.

Produce, where to buy it cheap...good question.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There's one surefire way to get fresh produce, and something that we are truly blessed to be able to do year round.

Grow it yourself.

You could plant warm weather plants like tomatoes, harvest and can those, and then in the winter when it gets chilly, plant lettuce and other cool weather plants.

You don't need a tremendous amount of space to do this. I have a small balcony that's about 4x10 and I have enough room to have spring onions, oregano, basil, tomatoes, and a dwarf avocado tree.

Growing stuff by yourself is a lot of fun and it's truly locally sourced food!
its good if you have a green thumb. I do NOT. In cleveland I had an urban garden plot, that was besieged by gophers, and my harvest ended up being enough for dinner one night. The mint did well so I was happy. Here in SD we have a very large patio but it is mostly shade. I started with herbs, and did fine for a while and then on couple days something ate them all (it had to be bugs since nothing could get in over the walls). The mint made a come back so I have enough for mojitos. I need to quit while I am ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego