Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM

296 posts, read 612,979 times

Advertisements

I was in Von's yesterday and was going to buy one medium-sized spaghetti squash. Could scarcely believe my eyes when it was rung up ... $7.50!! Ya know, it's not exactly exotic. It's a squash, dude.

Needless to say I passed on the Von's spaghetti squash.

I feel like I'm being taken as a fool shopping in overpriced grocery stores where one pays top dollar for things that have no redeeming value: pristine display, bi-hourly automatic misting, "organic" stickers, etc. I just want some good old-fashioned veggies. Since I eat a lot of them, I'd like to find a place with reasonable prices.

Any suggestions?

Farm shares? Farm Co-ops? Farmers markets? Grocery stores that have quality at good prices?

I don't mind washing off the dirt, even...

Edit: After posting I see a topic already started on the subject..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM

47 posts, read 107,079 times
I had the same the experience the other day..I was at Vons looking for bell peppers and they were 3 or 4 dollars each!! They were small and didn't look so great. I lived in Paris for two years and I could get large, quality ones for 80 cents. I've seen a few farmers markets around but I have yet to check them out

Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,887,635 times
Farmer's Markets, pretty much one every day of the week in different SD neighborhoods

Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,251,295 times
Sprouts

Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,565,357 times
When looking at that other thread, you should know that Henry's = Sprouts.

We share a CSA box with friends of ours (even their small, bi-weekly box is too much veg for the two of us). That way we get really good-tasting stuff, and we get a prod to learn to cook with unfamiliar things. Be Wise Ranch - Certified Organic Produce - Home

Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,333,324 times
I agree farm markets and Sprouts-they are not over all inexpensive but have great deals on seasonal items. If you are open to what veggies you get on any given day then they are great. If you are a pro at picking out veggies and are going to use them in a very timely manner, then the ethnic markets cannot be beat. Northgate Gonzalez and North Park Produce come to mind, but there are many others. I have gotten terrific quality, but you need to know your stuff. When I have sent my husband the outcome has not always been so good.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM

15,116 posts, read 32,209,073 times
Try the ethnic markets. Pancho Villa, North Park Produce are the more well known ones. There's also Pepe's Produce on El Cajon Blvd & Winona Ave, and LaEspecial Produce on 47th & University. I patronize North Park Produce more often, because it's a two minute walk from where I live.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM

681 posts, read 2,794,619 times
I add my approval for Sprout's. Their produce and prices are farily reasonable and there are many around town.

I also recommend a smaller ethnic market called Vine Ripe off of Fletcher parkway in La Mesa. You can often get 6 green peppers for $1, containers of strawberries for $0.99 and other great deals on produce. They also have an awesome bakery which include freshly made Bhaklava's (different flavours) daring you not to buy them.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,251,295 times
Forgot. Try Gonzales Northgate markets. Def dome good bargains in there.

There is one that just opened recently on University Ave in City Heights. But there are quite a few around town.

I second Vine Ripe

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,333,324 times
In addition to NorthPark Produce and Northgate Gonzalez, Zion is great. It is a Korean/Asian modern grocery with great produce. Its about out of my typical flight path though, so I only go if I am up that way for some reason. That 7.50 for spaghetti squash at Von's is off the chain. I was at Trader joes today (where I do don't typically buy produce except Haas avocados, b/c they are always perfect and fairly priced) and they had Spg squash for 2.99 each and I laughed at that as too high. even though I wanted one, I passed. I am planning on going to North Park Produce tomorrow and if I do I will report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego