Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I recently moved to SD (Pacific Beach area) with the Navy after graduating college in Maryland. Since i have been here, I have found it a little difficult to meet new people and make new friends. I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions or social activities/groups that get together, etc. Basically, I am just looking for suggestions or where to meet people around here. I love to run/do anything outdoors, but I also love to go out/drink/socialize. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM

20,830 posts, read 17,000,427 times
Your experience is very common in SD. People are somewhat insulated and stay in their own worlds. Polite (mostly) but not outgoing as in other areas. It can be an issue as many posters previously have noted. However don't give in. Little Italy in my experience is a friendly area outgoing and trendy. Match.com is well respected if you want to go that route. Perhaps there are groups with your interests that others here can suggest. It's a pretty place to not be alone....keep the chin up, I suspect that is not a problem...=)

Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,672,829 times
Join some running or cycling groups. Do the events.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,331,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Join some running or cycling groups. Do the events.
you might try the meetup.com web site for these kinds of things

Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,360,830 times
I agree San Diego can be a bit tougher than other places to meet people and make friendships.

I've found you have to make more of an effort here vs. other places I've lived. But even just taking the extra effort when you meet someone of exchanging business cards or even information and then inviting them out for a coffee/lunch/dinner sometimes is totally worth it.

I recently moved to the area and made some pretty good friends already. For example, the guy that sold me my car was a really nice guy. One day I invited him out for lunch and since then we get together weekly for dinner and made a great friendship. Totally cool guy.

I've also met some people at the gym. Heck, I even made some friendships off of this and other Internet forums. It sounds a bit strange but you can typically tell when you meet someone if you have similar things in common and establish relationships.

It sounds a bit strange to invite a complete stranger or someone you just met out for a coffee but taking that extra effort can be very rewarding.

But you definitely have to take the extra effort. If they seem cool, definitely exchange contact information or even emails and then invite them to Starbucks one day.

If you haven't seen the movie "I Love you Man" watch it. It's pretty hilarious. I watched it on the long international flight as I'm out of town on business now. The story of a guy's quest to meet some male friends.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:41 PM

20,830 posts, read 17,000,427 times
Depending upon your vehicle there are many car clubs here. If you buy a rag top, it's a lot of fun here.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,967,294 times
Definitely check out the Meetup site. You will be able to find all sorts of things to do that meet your interests.

Another thing to do is not be afraid to go places by yourself. I've become pretty close with a couple of folks at the restaurants/bars that I go to a lot. One of the bartenders at one place took care of my cats when I was away for a few days.

It's pretty easy to make friends. If you're friendly and approachable, people here will strike up a conversation with you. You can go from there.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,810,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRunner View Post
Hey,

I recently moved to SD (Pacific Beach area) with the Navy after graduating college in Maryland. Since i have been here, I have found it a little difficult to meet new people and make new friends. I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions or social activities/groups that get together, etc. Basically, I am just looking for suggestions or where to meet people around here. I love to run/do anything outdoors, but I also love to go out/drink/socialize. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Are you in the Navy or a civilian working for the Navy? I would think some of your co-workers would be a good starting point.

There are some professional organizations that get together on a regular basis and that might help as well. For instance, there is a group of current and former military folks and they get together with the primary purpose to assist each other in career transitions. They get together for breakfast on the third Friday of each month at Trellises Garden Grille in the Town & Country Hotel in Mission Valley. PM me if you need more info.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 AM

8 posts, read 56,502 times
Default Pinhead

Grab a ball and bowl. Join a team and when the league ends you'll have a friend or two. I bowl at Mira Mesa Bowl 2-3 times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: