Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Hi All - we are thinking of visiting San Diego this summer. Looking to stay at a Hampton Inn, we've always had good luck with them, they're clean, and we love the free breakfast. I did a search and there are 5 in the general vicinity.

We are a family of 4, 2 boys aged 14. Which location do you think would be the best - near things to do given the boys age, etc (in other words, we probably won't go to Legoland, LOL)?
  • 1531 Pacific Highway
  • 3888 Greenwood
  • 5434 Kearny Mesa
  • 11920 El Camino Real
  • 14068 Stowe Drive

Or, if you know of another reasonably priced hotel with perks in a great location, please feel free to share.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM

321 posts, read 540,902 times
Pacific Highway is probably the best choice, as you could walk to quite a bit nearby (Harbor, Downtown, Little Italy, Seaport Village).

Greenwood is in a crappy area. The rest are too far away I think.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times
sdjimbob is right. Of the locations you listed, 1531 Pacific Highway is your only real vacation choice.

However, summertime is beach time in San Diego. The Pacific Highway property is many miles from any beach. Your 14 yr old boys will probably have more fun being closer to our beaches. You'll spend a few more bucks being closer to the beach but your fun time will increase exponentially.

Here are a few places to consider that are walking distance to a nice beach:
Ocean Park Inn
Pacific Terrace
Catamaran Resort
Bahia Hotel

You'll find reviews on all of the above on Yelp.com.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
The Kearny Mesa, Stowe Drive, and El Camino Real locations are for out-lying industrial parks. Greenwood is more centrally located, but again in an industrial-looking (rather than scenic) area.

The Pacific Highway location is right downtown. That's your best bet.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
sdjimbob is right. Of the locations you listed, 1531 Pacific Highway is your only real vacation choice.

However, summertime is beach time in San Diego. The Pacific Highway property is many miles from any beach. Your 14 yr old boys will probably have more fun being closer to our beaches. You'll spend a few more bucks being closer to the beach but your fun time will increase exponentially.

Here are a few places to consider that are walking distance to a nice beach:
Ocean Park Inn
Pacific Terrace
Catamaran Resort
Bahia Hotel

You'll find reviews on all of the above on Yelp.com.
you bring up a great point. my kids this AM said "we want to swim in the pacific ocean" (btw, they refuse to believe it's cold!! LOL). We actually would be breaking our visit up - a few days in SD, a few days somewhere else, and come back to SD for a few days so we can stay downtown for the first part, and near the ocean for the 2nd. I'll check out the beach hotels you recommend - thank you so much!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 AM

thanks everyone! it's a rare occurrence when we all agree on something in the NJ forum , so this is a refreshing change!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
there's a Hampton Inn in Del Mar, which is right on the beach/coast in North County. I think you would enjoy that area a whole lot more...

Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM

164 posts, read 838,101 times
The Del Mar Hampton (11920 El Camino Real) is where I typically stay when I'm in the San Diego area. About a mile from Torrey Pines state beach and really easy to get to. Close enough (20 minutes depending on traffic) to both San Diego and Carlsbad if they change their mind about Legoland..... :-)

And if you like Mexican food, Tio Leo's is right across the parking lot from the Hampton...... really good food!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,378 times
I love Del mar and the hotel is not too far from the beach, but very far from San DIego, the zoo, and lots of attractions. Downtown San Diego is only a few minutes from many beaches-namely Coronado, Ocean Beach and so on. I'd pick that hotel (Pacific Highway). After you went to the beach in Del mar, there would not be much more worthwhile that was not a long drive.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 AM

again, thanks everyone! appreciate all the responses. however, due to a variety of circumstances, we had to change the dates of our trip and the Pacific Hwy Hampton is sold out, along with many others (I checked and there's a convention those days). There's a Doubletree with availability near downtown...is this a decent location?

DOUBLETREE by Hilton Hotel San Diego Hotel Circle | Mission Valley hotels San Diego CA - California

On our return to SD, on the advice of cruitr, we're staying at the Ocean Park Inn.

TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego