Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,294 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband and I are thinking of moving to San Marcos, but where? We currently rent in La Costa area which we like, but can't afford to buy so we were thinking maybe San Elijo Hills or Old Creek Ranch? Or maybe Arbor Ranch? Any ideas? No kids so school's not an issue. Also, which are areas t oavoid in SM? Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

291 posts, read 957,974 times
Avoid the area across Mission. I love Discovery Hills, check it out. It is near CSUSM and restaurant row. I am not a big fan of San Elijo Hills...but just personal preference. Twin Oaks is a nice area too near the golf course. Lake San Marcos is gorgeous, if you are into older homes.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 PM

124 posts, read 333,086 times
When we were considering buying in San Marcos, my husband and I were looking at Discovery Hills, Santa Fe Hills and Twin Oaks Ranch... although we were looking a homes away from the golf course. Our friends who has a house across the street from the golf course gets balls flying into their yard. Not safe if you like to hang out outside.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,045 times
Default Where to live in San Marcos

I would avoid areas near the industrial zones of San Marcos (near the 78).

I would recommend (in this order) these neighborhoods:
San Elijo Hills
Discovery Hills
Twin Oaks
Santa Fe Hills

Also I would consider Emerald Heights in Escondido which borders Twin Oaks. Its at the top of the hill. Very nice but may be too pricey. Please stay in touch and let me know if I can help in the future when it comes time to buy your home in San Marcos or any other area of San Diego. Its a great time to buy!

-Andrew Arroyo

Last edited by San Diego Homes For Sale; 01-13-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
I'd be claustrophobic in San Elijo Hills, unless you were on the outskirts by Questhaven or at the end of Elfin Forest Rd.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 PM

8 posts, read 18,750 times
Where else should one avoid in San Marcos? What exactly does one mean to avoid the area across Mission?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM

96 posts, read 363,504 times
There's no areas you should avoid, SM is safe, just mind your business and nothing will happen, SM has one of the lowest crime rates in the U.S., even the area between Knoll Rd, and N. Twin Oaks Valley Rd, is safe, the following streets in Central SM are as safe as any area in San Marcos, W. San Marco Blvd, Autumn Dr, W. Mission Rd, Richmar Ave, Pico Ave, Firebird Ln, all safe.

Also the area between S. Santa Fe Eve, and W. San Marcos Blvd and S. Rancho Santa Fe Rd. that runs through it in the Western Part of San Marcos is safe as well, as long as you're not out looking for trouble you won't find it, just take care of yourself as you would in any other area in San Marcos.

I'm only mentioning those areas, because those are the areas with more crime, BUT very little at that, yet people want to treat those areas as if they were on par with South Central LA, ha!, come on, SM is no large crime ridden city, it's small, nothing to worry about.

Last edited by VX-Nefarious; 01-19-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 18,750 times
Thanks for the knowledge. It's tough because I get conflicting views from a friend who owns a rental in SM. I have been there quite often and will be looking at the area to purchase within the next year or two. However, if you had to name the "least safest" places in SM, where would you and others say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX-Nefarious View Post
There's no areas you should avoid, SM is safe, just mind your business and nothing will happen, SM has one of the lowest crime rates in the U.S., even the area between Knoll Rd, and N. Twin Oaks Valley Rd, is safe, the following streets in Central SM are as safe as any area in San Marcos, W. San Marco Blvd, Autumn Dr, W. Mission Rd, Richmar Ave, Pico Ave, Firebird Ln, all safe.

Also the area between S. Santa Fe Eve, and W. San Marcos Blvd and S. Rancho Santa Fe Rd. that runs through it in the Western Part of San Marcos is safe as well, as long as you're not out looking for trouble you won't find it, just take care of yourself as you would in any other area in San Marcos.

I'm only mentioning those areas, because those are the areas with more crime, BUT very little at that, yet people want to treat those areas as if they were on par with South Central LA, ha!, come on, SM is no large crime ridden city, it's small, nothing to worry about.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,910 times
Good:
- Discovery Hills
- San Elijo Hills
- Santa Fe Hills
- Coronado Hills
- Twin Oaks Valley
- Rock Springs Road area

All you have to do is draw a boundary line. Nicest neighborhoods are south of San Marcos Boulevard/Barham Drive or North of Mission Road (exception of Richmar area). East of Las Flores in Eastern San Marcos is okay too.

Not so good:
Richmar: (neighborhood between 78 freeway, Twin Oaks Valley Road, Knoll Road, West Borden)
Rancho Santa Fe Road area: side streets bordering this road from San Marcos Boulevard to the 78 Freeway. This area isn't all bad, however. Sunset Park is a new addition to the area and is pretty popular. The easternmost part of San Marcos bordering Poinsettia is nicer than the parts near Rancho Santa Fe.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the crime in San Marcos, considering that:
- Crime rate is one of the lowest in the county, comparable to much more affluent cities such as Carlsbad
- It's a very low crime rate given the fact that it is a college town. Typically college areas have higher crime rates because this age group is considered the age in which an individual is most likely to commit a crime. Remember, there are over 40,000 students attending Palomar, Cal State San Marcos, and Saint Augustine. Cal State San Marcos was recently designated the safest state school in California.
- The crime rate is pushed up due to more incidents of shoplifting. San Marcos has many large retailers, which translates into more theft.

Your decision really depends on the kind of neighborhood you want to live in. Tract homes, customs, rural, etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 AM

90 posts, read 257,982 times
Discovery Hills! The park is AMAZING. The access to the lake and park, alone, is worth living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego