Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,774 times

Advertisements

You are all right, I am thinking about going to school here first, and it's probably not wise to jump up and move with no real plan. we are not interested in partying, only on new years maybe this sounds silly but I need to get fit and loose alot of wieght and I think it would be easier to get motivated to walk/jog in a beautifle place like California. That is one of my reasons for my interest in San Diego. While I was there I walked along ocean beach and the people were so laid back and I had a great time there just relaxing and walking around. I really do apreciate all the advice, especially the ones saying that I should learn from thier mistakes. That is a very good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
If you're going to school, can you do it full time? Do you have scholarships that will cover the costs? If you've got that, and you can pick up a part time job on the side, you might be okay.

But if you're trying to pay for school, an apartment, and living expenses on a minimum wage income, forget it.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 AM

593 posts, read 1,407,704 times
I know people with 2 and 3 part-time minimum wage jobs (always looking for a 4th!), they live in a house with other roommates, they drive older cars, some are donating platelets. Employers like to only hire part-timers because they don't have to give benefits or PTO. Some are so broke they can't even afford to move out of here. If any of this sounds appealing, then go for it, you might get lucky and break the cycle!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I know people with 2 and 3 part-time minimum wage jobs (always looking for a 4th!), they live in a house with other roommates, they drive older cars, some are donating platelets. Employers like to only hire part-timers because they don't have to give benefits or PTO. Some are so broke they can't even afford to move out of here. If any of this sounds appealing, then go for it, you might get lucky and break the cycle!
Yeah, I've met a few of these types too here. To me it totally defeats the purpose of moving to a city like San Diego to enjoy the weather and beaches and sunshine. Many of these people haven't been to the beach in months because they are always busy working.

And even white collar professionals....some are so busy with work they also haven't been to the beach in a while.

Having 2 or 3 or 4 part-time jobs, donating/selling blood and living with tons of roommates doesn't exactly sound like fun to me.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
I'm, 24 and I've lived here all my life, I have to work 2 part time jobs while going to school @ SDSU to manage. It's doable but it's not easy.You could just work a full time job, if you find one, and go to school at night but once you transfer to UCSD, SDSU or USD most of the classes are only offered in the day time and a 9-5pm M-F job won't work anymore.Your best bet is to live east, the cheapest rents are in Santee and Lakeside (average: $8-900/month for a one bdrm) the closer to the shore and San Diego City the higher the rent. There are a lot of community colleges though, so no matter where you live you won't be too far from a college. If you live in East County, there's Grossmont College and Cuyamaca College. Our public transportation here isn't exactly the best but it is usable once you figure it out.. There's a trolley that will go from Tijuana all the way to Santee and passes by SDSU on the way and many malls(where you may find a job). There are buses but they can take forever. Having a car is recommended unless you live and work near the transit system but still driving is just faster. Minimum wage here is $8.00/hr. There are other jobs out here that pay more without a lot of experience, so don't settle for too long. Catering companies tend to pay more than minimum wage so look into that. You won't get anywhere in the fast food biz, they won't give you a raise for at least a year and even then it's just a quarter more.Look, I'm white and I don't speak Spanish and I haven't had any trouble finding part time or minimum wage jobs like other people have said. It's the full-time jobs that are harder.Oh, btw, I actually live Down Town, I'm not that far from the beach but I haven't gone in almost a year. Maybe, you'll be different. It seems like whenever I do have time to go to the beach, it's cloudy. Maybe you'll be less picky than me.

Last edited by Deuerlein88; 12-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: read another post

Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Many chain stores will allow you to transfer your job.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM

974 posts, read 2,174,676 times
I don't want to be a wet-blanket but I have known people who have gone to places like San Diego, L.A. , San Fran, Las Vegas, West Palm Beach, etc. with no skills, thinking they'll get by on minimum-wage plus tips or dealing blackjack or cocktail waitressing or house-cleaning, of finding some "get-by" job in the hospitality industry. Almost all have either moved back or are still struggling. I've heard that non-skilled labor jobs are very competitive because of a lot of undocumented workers and/or a high population of non-skilled workers in the job market. I do know a couple who did break-out but she wound up going to school at night and got into insurance sales and he busted his butt as a barback, busboy then waiter and now he's an ass't. mgr for a nice restaurant but he has no life due to the hours he puts in. He makes ok money but keeps saying he'd like to get back in school but can't because they now have a kid and he doesn't get home until 3AM on most nights. It's a vicious cycle.

FWIW... Since you're in Texas...well Texas has some of the best educational opportunities in the country. You should really check your local community college system and get at least a 2 year associates or some certified skill. Look at the healthcare industry. Not all the jobs involve nursing and blood & gore, ultrasound techs, pharmacy techs, healthcare data management. I had a friend who got fired from selling cars and I suggested the health-tech programs at community colleges and he makes $50K+ a year as an ultrasound tech. I would've never thought he'd do something like that but he has found a nice occupation. I know for a fact that the DFW area has some great community colleges. And since you're a Texas resident you get the low in-state tuition.

Do the Vo-tech route, there's a lot going on there. If you can take at least a certificate program and get certified in office technology (computers, data entry, Excel, Outlook, etc.) at least that gets you more "hireable" for office work, even as a temp. No matter where you live in Texas, there's some community college or vo-tech program near to where you live or online courses at least. And I'm talking Texas State institutions, not private-for-profit schools (although there's a lot of those too but waay more expensive.) Neat thing about Texas is the state wisely made most if not all programs "transferrable" to other Texas State Colleges. So the courses you get say at a school in Lubbock will most likely be accepted as credit at another school in Houston.

I'm not from Texas but I can tell you the state has something going on as far as higher education is concerned. If school was tough for you, speak to a guidance counselor at the community college and they can offer some suggestions. Many schools offer tutoring and academic workshops to help students succeed with their studies. Don't be intimidated by it, get online and set up an appointment to meet with someone there and find out what can be done to help.

I would strongly encourage you to invest in yourself and look into the community college and/or vo-tech route. Get some certified skill from an accredited institution before going anywhere. If you move to San Diego without it and then decide to go back to school, you'll have to wait at least 6 months (or longer) to become a "resident" eligible for lower tuition and it will most likely be waay more expensive than Texas.

Sorry if I come across a preachy, I've seen it happen too many times and well it is something so easily avoided. AND ONE MORE THING .... You mentioned the "laid-back beach vibe", well San Diego is a place that has just as many "un-laid back" folks too. Spend more time in the Valley or in N. County and you'll find just as many conservatives as you would in Texas. Think about this: People go to Austin and at first blush they think everything is laid-back and friendly like 6th street on a Saturday but that is just a sliver of the population. When you to San Diego as a resident, you'll recognize all types of people, most of whom aren't "laid-back" from Mission or Ocean Beach.

Good Luck

Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 PM

288 posts, read 720,749 times
All I can say is forget it. I was making far more than minimum wage during my tenure there, and was living with 2 people in a 50 year old house. Granted I'm single, it's easy to find a room when your unattached and got rid of most of my stuff before the voyage west. I can't even imagine making under 50k in that city unless your living with your parents or living in their house.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
I think a lot of people who have comfortable lives forget that the median household income is only around $60K here. That means half of the households are making less.

Somehow, someway, they manage to make it. There is a good chance they are on public assistance, and there's a good chance they're working two part time jobs because their employer doesn't want to pay for their health insurance. But somehow, they make it work.

By no means is it a two car, white picket fence in the burbs living. There are probably months where they have to decide what bill to fall behind on. But somehow, they make it.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I think a lot of people who have comfortable lives forget that the median household income is only around $60K here. That means half of the households are making less.
It's a good point, although the median income in San Diego is a bit misleading because there are so many retirees (very low income) and government employees (i.e. military with housing allowances). A lot of people here bought homes for 150k in the 80's and 90's and they would never be able to afford to live the same lifestyle if they had to buy those homes today.

Transient young people fall into that income category too but they leave as often as they come. I would guess that most people who have other options (mom and dad back home) won't spend too many years living hand to mouth unless they have to.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 12-02-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego