Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 PM

7 posts, read 16,658 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm considering taking a job in SD, moving from one of the most boring states on the planet, Delaware. I currently make 55k a year, but there would likely be a raise involved for the new position + cost of living adjustments.

I am a 30 year old male looking for year round good weather and some interesting single women. I enjoy jogging and being outdoors in general, so SD seems like it might be a good fit for me.

I like coffee houses, internet connected areas, not big on the club scene, and a decent stretch of road where I can cruise around when I am bored.

No, this is not a personals add

I'm just trying to get an idea of where a good landing spot might be given the provided criteria. The job would be on the east side of Chula Vista, sorta near Lower Otay Lake. I don't think I want to live in that area though.

Anyone have any insight they can provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 PM

90 posts, read 257,993 times
Yes, it's definitely doable. Especially if you are getting a raise for adjusted cost of living. You're single, so yes, it's very doable. My husband earned less than that last year, and we got by just fine (I stay home). He was supporting 5 people, not one. Sure, we were pretty broke, but we didn't starve or go homeless. As a single guy, if you live within your means (debt-wise), you should be fine.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM

Oh by the way, I meant to say that we live in North County, but you'd find the commute to Chula Vista to be too far. You might like Eastlake, but it's more family oriented, not singles-oriented. As a single guy, you might like someplace like Hillcrest, South Park, or something near the Gaslamp. If you are willing to have a roommate, there are pricier areas that you could find enjoyable, also.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrite View Post
Oh by the way, I meant to say that we live in North County, but you'd find the commute to Chula Vista to be too far. You might like Eastlake, but it's more family oriented, not singles-oriented. As a single guy, you might like someplace like Hillcrest, South Park, or something near the Gaslamp. If you are willing to have a roommate, there are pricier areas that you could find enjoyable, also.
Thanks NB, this is the kind of info I am looking for. I was looking at the prices of apartments in CV and even some of those seem up there. I'm paying $900 a month now and doing ok, but I think I'd look for a roommate and try to get a really nice 2B.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG360 View Post
Thanks NB, this is the kind of info I am looking for. I was looking at the prices of apartments in CV and even some of those seem up there. I'm paying $900 a month now and doing ok, but I think I'd look for a roommate and try to get a really nice 2B.
I DEFINITELY think you should get a roommate. Unless you are OCD and really really like your privacy, getting a roommate can be a fantastic way to a) live in a better apartment b) live in a better part of town c) get the inside scoop on your new hometown and d) get a jump on establishing a social group in SD.

There are often guys who own condos and rent out one of the rooms, especially when the condos have the "dual master bedroom" option. Check Craigslist or a roommate site to find someone, or post an ad of your own. If I was single, that would be the route I would take. My college-era roommates are still among some of my closest friends!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
You can find places for $900 if you look hard enough. They will be in older buildings, but we're not talking places that are about to fall down.

You may want to check out Little Italy, Banker's Hill, and the East Village. You'd be able to get to Chula Vista in about 20 minutes, and you'd be going opposite traffic.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
plenty of back roads E of Chulajuana.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
You can find places for $900 if you look hard enough. They will be in older buildings, but we're not talking places that are about to fall down.

You may want to check out Little Italy, Banker's Hill, and the East Village. You'd be able to get to Chula Vista in about 20 minutes, and you'd be going opposite traffic.
Thanks. Thats kind of my thought process on living closer to the city. Is it tough to get out of it in the morning/afternoon? I'm sure it's horrible getting in, but if it's a brees (too soon?) to get out I'd almost consider the Gaslamp Quarter.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post

This! Going opposite of traffic will make the commute much easier.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG360 View Post
Thanks. Thats kind of my thought process on living closer to the city. Is it tough to get out of it in the morning/afternoon? I'm sure it's horrible getting in, but if it's a brees (too soon?) to get out I'd almost consider the Gaslamp Quarter.
I live a block away from the Gaslamp. It's pretty easy to get to the 163 or the five north, even during rush hour. Truth be told, I've rarely gone on the five south, and never during rush hour. So I don't know how bad it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego