Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 PM

34 posts, read 120,974 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm renting a 2012 Mustang GT this Sunday and plan to just drive up the coast. Don't really care at all about any particular destination, I'm only renting the car for the experience of driving it. Where can I pick up the Pacific Coast Highway/Highway 1 at? I only have the car for a day, so I'll probably drive 4-5 hours up the coast and then 4-5 back down. I wish I had the time and money to head up to Big Sur. I know that part of the PCH is an incredible drive. Any other suggestions other than PCH? I'm just looking for fun roads to open the car up a bit on and also some scenic views would be nice since the wife will be with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I have to admit this is not my particular area of expertise, but I believe that PCH is essentially a city street with stop lights all the way from San Diego until you get to Los Angeles or Malibu (except for the area that directs you back onto I-5 through Camp Pendleton). Essentially your trip will be over and you will have to turn back south before you ever reach open highway. There is a nice stretch just north of UCSD, next to the Torrey Pines Golf Course and then down the hill to Torrey Pines Beach. But that is only about 3 miles long and then your back into city traffic in Del Mar.

I would suggest taking highway roads out in East County if you want some speed on the wheels and some wind in your hair.

Your other choice would be to take I-5 to the 405 north at the LA County line, to the 101, and then maybe you could reach PCH in Malibu in about 3 hours providing there were no traffic issues. That would give you about 1 hour or maybe even 2 hours on the PCH before you had to turn around. Remember folks we are talking Sunday morning in the winter so reaching Malibu in 3 hours might not be totally ridiculous... maybe.

Last edited by kettlepot; 01-27-2012 at 12:21 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 AM

34 posts, read 120,974 times
Could I just take I5 up into LA and then pick up PCH? I'm gonna be leaving for the drive Sunday morning around 8AM, so traffic shouldn't be too bad?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
It looks like you can get back to hwy 1 just after Camp Pendleton, at Dana Point. It's pretty citified, but there are glimpses of ocean. If you want to skip that, then I-5, the 405, and the I-10 westward to PCH at Santa Monica.

But what are you after? Speed? Winding roads? Scenery?

If you're after speed, then PCH won't do for you. If it's winding roads and scenery, how about driving up to Big Bear via the back roads? That way you don't need to waste time getting through LA.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Go up through Pendleton and turn toward the "Coast Cities" at Dana Point. Go to Laguna Beach and have lunch, great ride along the coast. Then turn inland on Ortega Highway through San Juan Capistrano (see the mission) and go across the mountains to I-15 at Lake Elsinore, it's a fantastic drive. Then find old 395 south, or just go 15 home. With scenic stops that's an all-day daylight trip this time of year. Have fun with the Mustang! You'll have fantastic weather. Next time, rent one for 3 days and go up to Big Sur...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
I think it would be worth exiting off Genesse Ave. from the 5, and taking the coast highway up to Carlsbad Village before getting back onto the freeway on your way to Orange County. You'd be driving thru the coastal communities of Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Cardiff (can't miss the infamous Cardiff Kook - do a quick google on it), Leucadia and Carlsbad. Plenty of places along the way to grab some coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego