Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 AM

90 posts, read 257,959 times

Advertisements

I have never been to the Nestor neighborhood of Southeast San Diego. I know it's close to Imperial Beach, but that's all I know about it. I found a house for sale in that area that looks nice and is a great value. It's well-maintained, and the street looks fine (online). Can anyone offer info on the neighborhood itself? The house I am looking at is on Halley St. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times
novabrite, the house looks decent and considering its on a cul de sac, not bad ( from google maps street view) but my knowledge on the area is VERY limited. It may very well be a great pocket west of the 5. I personally like how close it is to the Silver Strand, one of my favorite cycling routes.

IMHO the asking price is slightly optimistic as there arent many comps (that I saw) that come close.

Worth at least checking out if you are in San Diego and what your lifestyle is all about. Generally that area doesnt have a sterling reputation nor a bottomless pit, which may be a great thing for a value buy and place to set roots.
However, being that this is San Diego, use caution and keep a keen eye on things besides the house itself. Considering its proximity to Imperial Beach NAS (noise) and the Tijuana River to the south (smelly in the summer) and 19th St being a very busy transit street (noise) these are things to consider and may/may not be deal breakers.

Good luck

Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
I don't think it's a very good neighborhood.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM

90 posts, read 257,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't think it's a very good neighborhood.
What is this based on? I'm not saying I doubt you, I just want to know your criteria. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
I'm sure that Sassberto or someone that lives in South Bay will be able to elaborate more than I can. If you search on Voice of San Diego, you'll see some pictures of Nestor.

Last edited by moved; 01-27-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
That area of Nestor is not bad!
Mostly everybody in that area that you mentioned is all home owners.
That area and some areas south San Diego offer some of the,best bang for your buck housing
San Diego has to offer.

Now the Bad:
As you go towards Saturn blvd That area changes real quick.
Lots Of gang activity and drugs.
Also Traffic Can be a nite mare getting home some days.
It can take 30 min on a Friday nite to get from the 5 freeway to grove ave (see Google maps)

Edit: About the gangs!
SDPD has a very strong presence in that neighborhood as a lot of the them live there.
So nothing ever really happens.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 16,276 times
I recommend you park and walk the area day and night several times to get a feel for the neighborhood. Talk to some of the residents about any concerns. Most will be honest if you ask the right questions.

Used this stealth technique to research my recent purchase of a 2br single family home in Palm City about 3 miles west for under 150k. There are no gangs in my neighborhood.

There are fools making arrogant statements on this forum to garner attention. Slightly annoying when you are seeking factual info.

Sift through the gargage posts and I think you will find that area of Southern CA has less people because of wildlife sanctuaries, federal and state reserved land.

Nice proximity to freeways.
Close to shopping, parks, the ocean and its cool breezes.

Nestor imho is a hard working, quiet, caring established neighborhood that doesn't appeal to everyone but certainly has value for the dollar.

Good luck!

Last edited by smofpls; 01-30-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,475 times
This area has a heavy gang culture. Their has been 2homicides and numerous shootings and stabings within a 2 mile radious. The area is controled by the southside nestor 19st boys. Drugs..prostitution..and numbers all go througu them.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,861 times
//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Diego-CA.html

It's about 2/3rds hispanic and about 47% of them don't even have a high school diploma. It's basically the ghetto full of illegals.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Diego-CA.html

It's about 2/3rds hispanic and about 47% of them don't even have a high school diploma. It's basically the ghetto full of illegals.
Boo to this comment. OP, be cautious about advice on this forum about South-Bay. I have noticed that there is an abundance of North County folks on the forum with little knowledge as to what happens South of Downtown or East of Mission Valley. There are some Mid-City Folks and coastal folks.... and then very few East County people and even less South Bay.

Do research on your own, as somebody else mentioned above, scope the place out in day time and at night time and talk to the neighbors. I have friends who live around the Mar Vista High School and they seem to enjoy the area and feel safe, their kids go to that high school. But this is a little further towards the coast away from the street you are referring to.

Just because the 56 is referred to as the Oxycontin Highway doesn't give me the right to poo poo on Rancho Peñasquitos.

Take advice on this forum with a grain of salt. Also, Nestor is not really in the South East side of SD.

Last edited by malcorub16; 10-31-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego