Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM

29 posts, read 78,614 times

Advertisements

My wife starts work in Encinitas in a few weeks. I am still looking for work out there but will probably end up working Orange county. Because of my need to commute we are looking at living in Oceanside. That and its the only place we can afford without living way inland.

I have yet to meet someone who knows the area that does not respond "Oceanside is scary". I lived in some rough cities before so I was not worried but upon research it looks like there is a lot of gang activity.

I was out last weekend looking at rentals. I knew when I got near the back gate something was wrong, "this is not where I want to live". Some research since has confirmed that.

The places I liked were between El Camino and College and Oceanside Blvd and Hwy 78. Are these areas safe? I imagine the violence stays in the gang neighborhood but is property crime prevalent in other neighborhoods?

What other things should I consider in living in Oceanside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobpilot View Post
My wife starts work in Encinitas in a few weeks. I am still looking for work out there but will probably end up working Orange county. Because of my need to commute we are looking at living in Oceanside. That and its the only place we can afford without living way inland.

I have yet to meet someone who knows the area that does not respond "Oceanside is scary". I lived in some rough cities before so I was not worried but upon research it looks like there is a lot of gang activity.

I was out last weekend looking at rentals. I knew when I got near the back gate something was wrong, "this is not where I want to live". Some research since has confirmed that.

The places I liked were between El Camino and College and Oceanside Blvd and Hwy 78. Are these areas safe? I imagine the violence stays in the gang neighborhood but is property crime prevalent in other neighborhoods?

What other things should I consider in living in Oceanside?
photbpilot,

I cant offer any personal insight into Oceanside from a residential standpoint. But yet you are right regarding "scary". What really scares me are the psycho soccer moms in any Costco parking lot. Look out!

Here is a tip. Use the ARJIS system. We have a centralized database of all criminal activity in SD County.
San Diego Regional Crime MAPS

It gives 90 days worth of criminal activity with all kinds of parameters you can set to your choosing.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 PM

384 posts, read 980,988 times
The area you described above is the Rancho del Oro area and I think it's considered safe and desirable. You could also try the Oceanside area below the 78 freeway, near Lake Calavera and the big preserve surrounding it. Here's an example of a listing: 3 Bdrm Townhouse, Oceansideā€”Carlsbad Schools (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/2370972020.html - broken link) I live pretty close to this, and it's a decent area abutting some very nice Carlsbad areas.
This is in a great location in southern Oceanside, right next to Shadowridge: Adorable Home with Large Fenced Yard and Deck!!! (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/2362711066.html - broken link)
I also love Fire Mountain, which is off the Jefferson exit, north. It's really nice.
Janine

Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
Rancho Del Oro and Fire Mountain are basically the nicest parts of Oceanside- higher performing schools, lower crime, well-maintained, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Rancho Del Oro and Fire Mountain are basically the nicest parts of Oceanside- higher performing schools, lower crime, well-maintained, etc.
I like the Fire Mountain area. Saw a nice looking place in Rancho Del Oro, but wife vetoed any area where all houses were pink or looked exactly alike. Probably a good idea as with all my hobbies and projects the neighbors would hate me.

I have seen the Keystone place on line already, big deck, jacuzzi, If they allowed cats I would send them a check today.

There is a place we really like in San Luis Rey. From Google maps the cul de sac it is on looks nice as does the house, yard etc. Its proximity to the Back gate though makes me nervous.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobpilot View Post
There is a place we really like in San Luis Rey. From Google maps the cul de sac it is on looks nice as does the house, yard etc. Its proximity to the Back gate though makes me nervous.
Just looked closer at Google Maps. As nice as the neighborhood is near this house is in, the center part of San Luis Ray is a huge trailer park. Now 'd be as much concerned about tornadoes as much as gang bangers for neighbors.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:57 PM

76 posts, read 307,634 times
Stay away from the back gate....

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM

90 posts, read 258,033 times
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to bump it, in case anyone is searching this topic currently. My best friend lives near the back gate, and the area is really not that bad. Yes, there is some crime here, but it is TARGETED crime. Someone was shot in this area, and yes, it was gang related. That gives everyone the willies. Guess what? The dude was shot in point-blank range in daylight, meaning he knew his attacker and allowed his attacker to get that close to him. What does that mean? He was killed by someone he knew, just as is the case with 90+% of homicides. Honestly, unless you are IN a gang and plan to pull something shady that would give someone a reason to want you dead, I don't think you're in any danger of getting shot by gang members. As opposed to the gang bangers in the midwest, where I am from, who drive by and pop off a glock in the air, peppering everyone with bullets, this is not so bad. Honestly, there have been more murders out on Coronado, but when millionaires kill each other, it's just intriguing tabloid fodder.

I spend a lot of time at her house (she lives on Siesta), and the neighborhood is more than fine. We take walks there with our kids, and everyone is friendly. She parks a newer BMW in the driveway, and no one has ever touched it or any of her stuff. I think the crime is exaggerated here. If you are from a city that actually has really dangerous places, like East St. Louis or Detroit, or Springfield, IL, you'd laugh at what is considered by some to be "scary" out here.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
what the hell is the back gate??

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrite View Post
Honestly, there have been more murders out on Coronado, but when millionaires kill each other, it's just intriguing tabloid fodder.
thanks for the laugh. that was a good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego